• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Last Day to save 20% sitewide at Kirby Allison's annual Father's Day Sale! !

Kirby Allison is one of Styleforum's original success stories, beginning long ago with Kirby;s Hanger Project. Every year, Kirby holds a Father's Day Sale featuring some of the best accessories and shoe care products in the world. Take this opportunity to get something for your father, grandfather, or yourself, at a rare 20% discount (discount taken automatically at the checkout). See if you find that perfect hanger, shoe cream, or watch case here

Enjoy

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

HERE AND NOW

am55

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here's a shot from Bureau des Legendes which shows what I meant by the problem with brogues (or reasonably large shoes) with a thin trouser leg, here compounded by a very light material furthering the incoherence of the ensemble:

1592921662407.png

The mere extra inch or two on Almaric's trouser leg helps a lot, even if this looser style is almost old fashioned now. My solution is thus lighter shoes. No wonder Baudoin & Lange is making a killing with their loafers, which are designed for their time, "here and now".

Swampster

Reaction score
It is part of the reason I prefer a rounded toe on a shoe. If I wear more pointed shoes, they feel like they are sticking out like clown shoes, whatever trousers I wear. Also, my toes are so blunt that the end of the shoe feels like it is flapping around.

Luigi_M

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here's a sample of a summer attire I always liked and still like.
Only trouble, the suit is ten years old and in the meantime I gained 1 Kg/year (about 20 pounds, for those used to Imperial measures).
The jacket is a solid three buttons and you may see well that pleated trousers would suit better mes vieilles tripes.
Definitely gotta get some new suits ...
20200624_120931-1.jpg

P.S. : given the three buttons, I hope you don't mind if I cross post on TLGO thread.

Kingstonian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here's a sample of a summer attire I always liked and still like.
Only trouble, the suit is ten years old and in the meantime I gained 1 Kg/year (about 20 pounds, for those used to Imperial measures).
The jacket is a solid three buttons and you may see well that pleated trousers would suit better mes vieilles tripes.
Definitely gotta get some new suits ...
View attachment 1411803

P.S. : given the three buttons, I hope you don't mind if I cross post on TLGO thread.
Having retired, there is less option for suits or ties unless I am up town. Then it may look as if I have just come from work.

Your suit looks fine despite extra weight. Light colour is more casual but I would still not have many opportunities to wear it.

Luigi_M

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@Kingstonian ... c'mon man! A light (in colour and weight) unlined suit can be worn by anyone, working or not.
Why letting ourselves being limited by our working status? :cheers:

Luigi_M

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was thinking, if the gentlemen here don't mind this, unveiling our age might help others to better understand what background and/or influences brought us where we are now and here.
I'll be 58 next month.

Luigi_M

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
... the usual questions put by those that haven't anything better to do ... to which I usually answer "In an hour I'm having a meeting with some guys expressly coming from abroad to talk with me - sorry if I can't tell you more."

Jokes apart, jacket and trousers are my go-to attire too.

Botolph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was thinking, if the gentlemen here don't mind this, unveiling our age might help others to better understand what background and/or influences brought us where we are now and here.
I'll be 58 next month.

I turned 45 ten days ago. Generation X’er here.

Botolph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It usually prompts questions about why you are ‘dressed up’.

Jacket and trousers is less problematic.

Good grief, I often get that while wearing a jacket and trousers(or suit), too! I will sometimes reply with something like “Nah man, I’m not dressed up, you just dress like a raggamuffin” ?

That being said... at the moment I’m Sitting with my son, sipping coffee and wearing shorts, flip-flops, and a t-shirt, listening to the Faces!
I guess the difference is that I wouldn’t go out to a bar looking like this.

Kingstonian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Good grief, I often get that while wearing a jacket and trousers(or suit), too! I will sometimes reply with something like “Nah man, I’m not dressed up, you just dress like a raggamuffin” ?

That being said... at the moment I’m Sitting with my son, sipping coffee and wearing shorts, flip-flops, and a t-shirt, listening to the Faces!
I guess the difference is that I wouldn’t go out to a bar looking like this.
Though I could wear shorts and a fleece on a freezing day in January and nobody would say anything. Not that this will ever happen.

When I was a child, a grown man in shorts would ring alarm bells - particularly in January. Suits would pass without comment. Times change.

Oneflewover

Reaction score
Hi all,
I'm early 60s and my style could be summed up as town and country british based in the 60s, Harry Palmer with knitted ties and a little bit Mod. fred perry polos, a little Ivy, tweed OCBD and a little US longshoreman.Like a bit of quality and nice shoes. love a jumper, polo neck or mock turtle.

Always flat fronted, Hugo Boss Arkansas and Hugo Boss James Brown are both very good fit for me. Both old ranges so have to Ebay them.

Love a little paisley in scarf and PS. Nothing fitted, low rise or those jackets cut above the bum.

L4kQAxA.jpg

rqEkBef.jpg

Botolph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Though I could wear shorts and a fleece on a freezing day in January and nobody would say anything. Not that this will ever happen.

When I was a child, a grown man in shorts would ring alarm bells - particularly in January. Suits would pass without comment. Times change.

indeed. I know a few “big guys” who wear shorts year-round. Some people see this as normal, and trousers as an “occasion” thing. The world certainly has turved in many ways!

Botolph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi all,
I'm early 60s and my style could be summed up as town and country british based in the 60s, Harry Palmer with knitted ties and a little bit Mod. fred perry polos, a little Ivy, tweed OCBD and a little US longshoreman.Like a bit of quality and nice shoes. love a jumper, polo neck or mock turtle.

Always flat fronted, Hugo Boss Arkansas and Hugo Boss James Brown are both very good fit for me. Both old ranges so have to Ebay them.

Love a little paisley in scarf and PS. Nothing fitted, low rise or those jackets cut above the bum.

L4kQAxA.jpg

rqEkBef.jpg

Pic #1 is Exactly the sort of thing I’d wear. Is photo 2 in Zurich? Lubjliana?

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hofeman