• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help with seersucker suits

Dakota rube

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I live so far north that summer comes late, and when it finally arrives, it does so with a vengeance. I've come to the conclusion that I simply MUST buy a seersucker suit this year. I'm drawn to Haspel by tradition (Atticus Finch wore one in "To Kill a Mockingbird" for crying out loud.). But I understand Haspel is now but another label owned by Neema, so, so much for tradition. But a dilemma has presented itself: the Haspel suit is $250-$275. But a Jeffrey Banks seeresucker suit (also a Neema label) can be had for half that. I know the price points are hardly worth quibbling over, but my, ahem, heritage is making it really hard to spend twice as much as I need to. Which do you prefer?
jcpseer1wm.jpg
Jeffrey Banks or
haspel3ik.jpg
Haspel Oh, and sorry to drag this discussion down into the gutter price-wise, but I have a hard time "investing" a bunch of money in a suit I'm only going to wear six or seven times a year. Dakota Rube

gorgekko

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I could live with either of them but if I had to I'd go with the Haspel.

Where do you live? Presumably one of the Dakotas?

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
Dakota, you're killin' me. I desperately want a seersucker suit. Indeed, in keeping with its heritage it ought to be cheap.

Whichever you decide, please give us a full report.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I like the color of the top one better. I also just ran across a couple Haspel items in a thrift shop today, and I gotta say, they felt pretty cheap. I don't know if that will apply to their seersuckers, since it's a very different fabric than the unbreathable cardboard-wool of these two jackets, but just thought I'd add that.

Dakota rube

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The Haspel heritage is what draws me toward it. But I'm worried that today's iteration might be a far cry from that which our dear friend Atticus wore in that boiling courtroom. I worry when I see an old label purchased and "resurrected" by a conglomerate.

I'm in North Dakota, and not likely to be able to purchase any seersucker in person. Have to rely on the honesty and grace of internet retailers. I've found a couple that seem to be both: one in Georgia, the other in Louisiana. I'd think a true gentleman in either of those locales wouldn't dream of misleading me.

Methinks it'll be the Haspel. I'll keep you posted.

Oh, and thanks for allowing me into your fraternity. I've felt a bit like an interloper while I lurked here these last few months. High style and bespoke fashion are not terms familiar here on the High Plains.

Dakota

Dakota rube

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Actually both the Haspel and the Jeffrey Banks seersucker suits are 100% cotton. I couldn't bear the thought of wrapping myself in poly during a Dakota summer. Unbearable humidity. But we're below zero again tonight, so unbearable winters, too. I keep forgetting why I live here.

And yes, it is sad to see what's become of most of the famous old names of men's wear.

rayk

Reaction score
A 100% cotton seersucker suit can be had for a very reasonable price. Jos. A. Bank sells both the two and three button models for under $300, and either can be gotten on sale for much less. I bought the Jos. A. Bank last season for $200, over the much higher priced Ben Silver model ($700). Â Of course one would expect the BS model to be of superior construction and materials; however, being one who wasn't sure how much use he'd get from a suit of this style, I opted for economy. Â I wasn't disappointed with the purchase.

chorse123

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
In the summer of 2002 the Wall Street Journal ran a piece on seersucker suits, rating them. I believe they gave the best value to the Jos. A. Bank model. I tried it on in the store that year and it was pretty nice, but didn't fit me at all.

It sounds like you aren't able to get to the shop to try them on, which is unfortunate. If I were you, I'd go for the cheaper one, or wait for the Jos. A. Bank suit to go on sale, which it invariably will before your summer arrives.

Doesn't seersucker wear out rather quickly?

Horace

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In the summer of 2002 the Wall Street Journal ran a piece on seersucker suits, rating them. I believe they gave the best value to the Jos. A. Bank model. I tried it on in the store that year and it was pretty nice, but didn't fit me at all.

It sounds like you aren't able to get to the shop to try them on, which is unfortunate. If I were you, I'd go for the cheaper one, or wait for the Jos. A. Bank suit to go on sale, which it invariably will before your summer arrives.

Doesn't seersucker wear out rather quickly?
I read the WSJ piece. I think they gave highest marks to Haspel actually.

It might be on their site. If not, I'll post the WSJ reprint from my own account when I can.

I like the Press seersucker. I also want to get a new 100% cotton poplin suit but they appear to be harder to find. Silver probably has them and maybe Press?

oldskool

Reaction score
Obvious solution is to wait until June and buy one on sale at brooksbrothers.com or polo.com. They always go on sale in early summer. And you say summer comes late? Wait for the inevitable June sale.

oldskool

Reaction score
seersuckersale1uq.jpg
this is the polo.com seer sucker on 50% off over this last summer, i'm sure many of you recall. I think it was ~$300 on sale.

johnw86

Reaction score
The pattern on the Haspel seems a bit more subtle, which I would prefer.

My next summer suit will be poplin.

Brian SD

Reaction score
I definitely like the Haspel. The gorge looks a bit nicer as previous pointed out, and even though its difficult to tell because of the model's position, it looks like a more refined sillhouette. I can't even see darts in the Banks suit, but its really hard to with the fabric.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads