• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help me understand brooks bro labels

JohnMS

Reaction score
I've read the posts made regarding BB dress shirts and understand they are not what they used to be. However, I have 4 very young children and wearing non-iron shirts at this point in my life has become essential. I'll move on to something else when the kids are a bit older and can understand why I wouldn't want them to wrinkle me dress shirts before I head off to work....BUT for now I have a question on the BB dress shirts...why two different types of labels on their non-iron shirts? I can never seem to get any information out of calling the stores. I've included two photos. Perhaps someone can let me know if one is better than another. Both are regular fit pictures and not one slim fit and the other not. Thanks for you input. Label #1
brooks1.jpg
Label #2
brooks2.jpg

gregory

Reaction score
I think the second label is the latest one that they use for their regular range of shirts. The second label replaces the first label. I remember visiting their 346 Madison store and not seeing the first label on any shirt, including on their basic oxford shirts. So the question is: why do they have the older label on the first shirt on the website? My guess is that they did not take the trouble to use a new image, and that if you ordered the first shirt, you would actualy get a shirt with the second label. I am not an authoritative source on this, but I hope this helps
smile.gif

jcusey

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
for now I have a question on the BB dress shirts...why two different types of labels on their non-iron shirts?
I think you might be reading too much into this. Brooks could use different manufacturers for their different shirts, or they could be transitioning to a different label, or some marketing guru might have come up with the idea that one label was better on some shirts and the other was better on others. It's impossible to know for sure, and you're probably jousting at windmills if you try to find a salesman who can give you a non-BS answer.

JohnMS

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. I thought it was perhaps a lesser line of shirt they offered. I appreciate your reply.

Kai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a couple of BB no-iron all cotton shirts. They work well for travel. I've got no complaints with their quality. They seem quite nice. Fabrics aren't as luxurious as some other shirts, but they aren't bad.

clarinetplayer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have 5 Brooks Brothers no iron shirts (slim fit), and they are great. At the end of the day, these shirts still look clean and fresh--nary a wrinkle to be found. I find that they hold up to laundering very well. I highly recommend them. Fantastic for travel.

Horace

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think the second label is the latest one that they use for their regular range of shirts. The second label replaces the first label. I remember visiting their 346 Madison store and not seeing the first label on any shirt, including on their basic oxford shirts. So the question is: why do they have the older label on the first shirt on the website? My guess is that they did not take the trouble to use a new image, and that if you ordered the first shirt, you would actualy get a shirt with the second label. I am not an authoritative source on this, but I hope this helps
smile.gif
It's actually the reverse. The 2nd label (red) is the label that's been on shirts for ages. The first is a modern abomination that will hopefully go away.

johnw86

Reaction score
It's actually the reverse.  The 2nd label (red) is the label that's been on shirts for ages.  The first is a modern abomination that will hopefully go away.
Horace is correct. I know that the second label goes back to at least the early 90s (and probably much earlier). It also marks the size in an unusual way, such as "16-2" for a 16 inch neck and 32 sleeve and "16-5" for a 16 neck and 35 sleeve.

jekv12

Reaction score
Horace and the others are correct - the label on the bottom (red with oval) is the traditional label. I could swear that older BB stock - pre Marks and Spencer - can be identified by the word "Makers" on that label. I think they all now say "1818" or some such. I've seen more of the red oval and less of the blue script (was this brought in with M&S ?) so perhaps they are going back to their roots.

And I think the slim fit shirts have blue oval labels.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads