1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 10: A full set of Aesop's Fables pocket squares from Vanda Fine Clothing

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 10th auction of the year is for a full set of Aesop's Fable's pocket squares from Vanda Fine Clothing. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Help me round out my shoe circles

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Threadbearer, Jun 28, 2012.

1. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Budapest last? I wouldn't have picked that last for him.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2012

2. F. Corbera

F. Corbera Distinguished Member

This is a 3636:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 29, 2012

3. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

I was thinking P2. Those are nice, I just don't see him in them. If its Vass, I see the F last for TB.

4. dieworkwear

dieworkwear Distinguished Member

I also vote for derbys. You can more easily wear them with odd jackets and trousers, chinos, and depending on the style, even jeans.

I also think you should consider selling some of those shoes on eBay and taking the money to upgrade your collection. You have ten pairs of shoes, many of them more or less from the same family, and many of them mid-tier. There's nothing wrong with having mid-tier shoes, but having ten pairs of them seems like a waste.

5. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

TB, i would say,

• something like the C&J edgware in black
    • a nice brown calf loafer
    • a nice brown longwing
    • suede brouged wingtips

good luck, man!

6. F. Corbera

I like this idea because the odds are high the shoes will stay within the StyFo family.

7. F. Corbera

I don't know TB, so the following is conjecture and extrapolation. Overall, my feeling about his clothing choices as he has been presenting them is that he would benefit from dialing back the formality target of the details, styles, and mix of items. The F last has a town shoe shape. It can look good in a derby on the right foot, but given the ubiquity of cap toes among his shoes, I really think he could benefit from shoes with less of a city gent feel.

8. SpooPoker

I see what you mean.
    [​IMG]

9. jrd617

jrd617 Stylish Dinosaur

Burn the Hugo Boss loafers too. I voat brown or black loafers.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2012

10. Threadbearer

Threadbearer Distinguished Member

Outside the Beltway but still in the Danger Zone

I find that I rarely wear loafers, so I'm hesitant to buy more. Loafers sometimes make me feel as if I'm wearing house slippers outside of the house. If I do go that route, though, I think I'd get a pair of Mertons in mink suede. But since I just can't manage to pull the trigger on them I guess I don't really want them as badly as I think I do.

I've been thinking about a pair of these ever since the D.C Lewis affiliate thread opened. Never owned monks before, sad to say, so I'm a little intimidated by them. Are they to be worn more like loafers or like derbies?

Mmmmmm! The Marlow looks gooood. I'm not a fan of chunky shoes, but that pair is kind of sweet-taking me.

I, too, think I'm short on derbies, but I didn't say so in the OP so as not to bias the responses. That said, what's a PTB? :hide:

Agreed. At the very least I could afford to lose the TBNYs since they serve virtually the same purpose as the Strands. I should probably replace them with a pair of derbies in dark brown or oxblood.

Good suggestions, stitchy. I've come very close to buying Edgwares a few times but have backed away because I think my Hallams cover the same territory.

I can't argue with any of this, but I lean toward slimmer, sleeker shoes with longer toe boxes because I have fairly small feet for a man my height. I don't think wide lasts or rounded toes (especially stubby ones) look good on me. My C&Js on the 348 last, on the other hand, look awesome.

11. NORE

NORE Distinguished Member

Have you looked into Carmina or Meermin, even? Some of the suggestions you've received thus far doesn't take into account your style (or lack thereof) of dress.

:)

12. RDiaz

RDiaz Distinguished Member

A PTB is a plain toe blucher! [​IMG]

13. msulinski

msulinski Distinguished Member

I agree with getting rid of the Sperrys. I would also ditch the Hugo Boss loafers. I can't really see a black loafer being of much use.

Do you have any burgundy or merlot/oxblood shoes? You placed the C&J Westbournes in the "brown" category, though they seem to have a reddish cast.

One recommendation is a non-suede casual shoe, maybe something like this: http://www.allenedmonds.com/aeonline/producti_SF4035_1_40000000001_-1
    or this: http://www.allenedmonds.com/aeonline/producti_SF4135_1_40000000001_-1

Once you burn the Sperrys, you might also consider a casual loafer, like an Italian bit loafer or something along those lines.

14. NOBD

NOBD Distinguished Member

15. edmorel

edmorel Quality Seller!! Dubiously Honored

TB, whatever shoes you get I would only suggest considering softer, less elongated lasts.