• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help me pick my next shoe

awcollin

Reaction score
Hey all: looking for some thoughts on my next shoe. I’m mostly business casual and odd jacket with a suit thrown in a couple times a month. Most of my brown shoes are toast, so looking to upgrade. Have a pair of Loake chukkas and Alden Indy boots, so covered there. Thinking maybe a wingtip or captoe in a dark brown. Best choice around $500 US?

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I have heard of Cheaney being a good choice, but have no experience. Trickers is a fine shoe, though they tend to skew casual. I have a wide lower volume foot, so as much as I like their shoes neither of those two makers are a good fit for my foot. AE just has a wider variety, and are easily obtainable. Judging by those two, are you in the UK or have a European preference?

Taverner.cohen

Reaction score
I would give a try to Carmina in your case, I have two pairs and they can offer a good service and the finest quality, the only creepy thing is that first days are a kindda unconfortable, but after some time they strecht a little

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would give a try to Carmina in your case, I have two pairs and they can offer a good service and the finest quality, the only creepy thing is that first days are a kindda unconfortable, but after some time they strecht a little

Odd first post, what is your connection with them?

Taverner.cohen

Reaction score
Odd first post, what is your connection with them?
It is just the same for you with Loake chukkas or Alden, on my collection I have Yanko, Church and Carmina, and my prefered ones are the Carminas in relation price&quality even thougth they are rought in the beggining... nothing to do with then I am afraid

emptym

Reaction score
For the purpose you mentioned (business casual w/ the occasional suit), I'd go with the wingtips or penny loafers. Alden's LHS is the most versatile shoe I can think of. Personally I only like captoe shoes with suits.

steveabdn

Reaction score
Have a look at the Lof and Tung options on Skoaktiebolaget. My last couple of pairs of shoes have been Enzo Bonafe. My next pair will be either a pair of Edward Green Dover, if I can be patient and save. If I can't, I'll be going after some Lof and Tung

awcollin

Reaction score
For the purpose you mentioned (business casual w/ the occasional suit), I'd go with the wingtips or penny loafers. Alden's LHS is the most versatile shoe I can think of. Personally I only like captoe shoes with suits.

Not a huge fan of loafers. Thinking about going with the longwing.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads