• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help me pair a tie with this shirt!

mcfmcf

Reaction score
I have had this Faconnable shirt for a while now, but can't think of a tie to wear it with! It has a double cuff. Help, please.

2dul5b4.jpg

i4mxrt.jpg

Thanks!

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i dont think i would wear a tie with that shirt i do like it though, maybe nice slacks and a sweater

Mariooo

Reaction score
no tie, there's already enough happening on the shirt.. wouldn't it have the small diamond pattern, I would propable wear a solid color tie with some texture a knit or genadine. but as it is, and if you feel bold, maybe a large scaled paisley?
confused.gif
biggrin.gif
the knit could work though but as I said - wouldn't pair that shirt with a tie.. you'll be perfectly fine without one

DerekS

Guyliner
Reaction score
skip the tie....

EvilFish

Reaction score
Could you post a picture of the shirt from a distance? That close up, the subtle diamond pattern makes the shirt look quite busy, but at the distance most people will see it, it'll likely just look like a standard blue striped shirt, which would look fine with a tie.

I'd stick with a solid, maybe a grenadine, in any darker shade of blue, grey or burgundy. There are other configurations that could work, but these would be the safest bets.

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Don't wear this shirt to a business meeting, it's not a dress shirt. But it could certainly be worn casually, and your tie should not be of the formal variety. I vote paisley, something like this:
2010_0111_164730.JPG
or this: http://i.stpost.com/erez4/erez?src=P...ize&redirect=0 could work. A lot of people are down on paisley, but I think it is a fine choice for casual tie wearing. Alternatively, a contrasting solid knit tie could also work.
KT3.jpg

mcfmcf

Reaction score
Originally Posted by EvilFish
Could you post a picture of the shirt from a distance? That close up, the subtle diamond pattern makes the shirt look quite busy, but at the distance most people will see it, it'll likely just look like a standard blue striped tie, which would look fine with a tie.

I'd stick with a solid, maybe a grenadine, in any darker shade of blue, grey or burgundy. There are other configurations that could work, but these would be the safest bets.

You're right, it does look easier on the eyes from a distance. I just ordered a dark blue knit tie from RL so we'll see how that goes. And no tie is always an option. Thanks!

On a side note... anyone have any links to a nice grenadine tie? (not-so-disguised attempt to subtley find out what the hell grenadine is)

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
What do you mean no tie, guys? Come on, Spoo would definitely wear a tie with this shirt!

atila

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mcfmcf
You're right, it does look easier on the eyes from a distance. I just ordered a dark blue knit tie from RL so we'll see how that goes. And no tie is always an option. Thanks!

On a side note... anyone have any links to a nice grenadine tie? (not-so-disguised attempt to subtley find out what the hell grenadine is)

http://www.samhober.com/grenadine-silk-ties/

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by patrickBOOTH
What do you mean no tie, guys? Come on, Spoo would definitely wear a tie with this shirt!

As it is, I most definitely would not
laugh.gif

But if it did not have the diamonds in the stripes, I would wear it with a navy twill.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SpooPoker
As it is, I most definitely would not
laugh.gif

But if it did not have the diamonds in the stripes, I would wear it with a navy twill.

I'm sorry, my bad.
frown.gif

jnm23q

Reaction score
Didn't realise Faconnable did formal clothes. Echo the comments above that the diamonds (as well as the odd hue of blue) make it look more casual

I think perhaps a plain yellow or gold tie to match the thin stripe in the shirt if you are set on wearing a tie

Metlin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wear it with a pair of jeans, some chukkas and a tweed sport coat.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads