• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help me help my father

razl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Saltricks
He purchases big patch logos (those big polo patches) and sews them onto those polyester 3 day suit broker jackets so that they look like polo jackets

I don't mean to call bullshit on someone talking about their Dad, but are you serious? He really does that?

That's not garish, it's ... insane.

meso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Good luck. I can't even get my dad to wear t-shirts that aren't two sizes too big.

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Don't try to change the ol man.
Whenever you are in the same space together publicly, enjoy the compliments on your clothes.
He'll probably take mental note as time goes on when he sees the attention you get.
Perhaps arrange to have some smoking hot babes compliment you in front of him.
That should do the trick.

nahneun

Uncle Nephew
Reaction score
As a devout Catholic, shouldn't he...not be so concerned with garish branding and logoing and be trying to live a more.....austere life?

Korki Bucheck

Reaction score
1) Get an attractive significant other (preferably female, although either would work really, barring you being shot);
2) Take your old man shopping with yourself and your new significant other;
3) Tell her in advance that her goal is to get him to buy as many tasteful articles as possible;
4) She must recommend things to both of you, just to keep up the ruse.

Thank me later.

Korki Bucheck

Reaction score
Originally Posted by computerpro3
My father runs a healthcare technology company worth about 100m and thinks Rockports are high end dress shoes and that Jos. A. Banks are decent suits. None of his clothing has ever touched a tailor. Until just a few years ago when he FINALLY upgraded to an Audi A8L, he drove a purple 1996 Chysler Cirrus and wore a 25 year old Sieko with a cracked crystal. He regularly goes to meetings with CEO's of some of the most powerful technology companies in the world and what he wears has never affected his business success. Not only that, but I've never seen another person command respect the way he does.

If you carry yourself with true confidence - and actually can back that confidence up with intelligence, the importance of what you wear simply doesn't matter to the truly elite. Of course, looking good can never hurt (after all, I'm here on the forum), but it's not the end-all-be-all that many make it out to be.

On the flip side, there is a difference between simply not giving a crap and continually trying to appear upmarket. The latter is garish indeed, and speaks to other issues.

warren-buffet-and-bill-gates.jpg

burningbright

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, that sounds tough.

I think the way I would try and handle it with my own dad would be to start by finding something in his wardrobe that does work, but needs tailoring. I would start by telling my dad I've got some pieces that need tailoring and that he should take some of his stuff too. Hopefully he'll agree and this will start the process.

From the tailors, I'd then say that I X piece of clothing and tell him I've got to stop at such and such store to get it. Once there I'd pick out an article of clothing I think would work for him, hold it up to myself in the mirror and then hold it up to him and tell him it would probably work better on him.

I would then start distracting him with topics of conversation that he normally becomes engrossed in because like most guys my dad can't multi-task. Amidst this conversation, while trying items of clothing on I would try and work some casual fashion tips in to the conversation and make it sound like every guy knows this stuff. The trick with my dad would be to keep handing him clothes and keep him talking while offering casual opinions about the stuff he's trying on. If something works, I would compliment the look and then say why it works. After a hopefully successful round of purchases I would stop at a pub and get some beers or food before continuing to the next store because I just can't seem to find what I'm looking for. Repeat process.

At least that's how I would approach it with my own dad. Fake him out with some quality father/son time. Of course, if this were my dad we were talking about he would have given up after trying pants on because the man has no discernible ass to speak of whatsoever. It's like he got it shot off in 'Nam or something. Not even the most tailor-fitted pants nor the mightiest belt will keep that man's pants girded.

burningbright

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Korki Bucheck
1) Get an attractive significant other (preferably female, although either would work really, barring you being shot); 2) Take your old man shopping with yourself and your new significant other; 3) Tell her in advance that her goal is to get him to buy as many tasteful articles as possible; 4) She must recommend things to both of you, just to keep up the ruse. Thank me later.
Korki's suggestions sound good too. I should also say that I've been following your other, more epic thread and must confess that a dozen different outcomes instantly flashed in my mind when I substituted the beautiful woman Korki spoke of with douchefriend. In fact, upon further thought, I think this would be a splendid idea. I will admit that I am a little biased in the matter and am hoping for another story, only this time involving your dad pointing out just how douchy douchefriend is to his face. Edit: Make your dad wear the faux Polo shirt when he says this to him.

amplifiedheat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by chrisb0109
sounds like a real asshole.

No offense...

I don't think you understand about "no offense."

Saltricks

Reaction score
Computerpro, I totally see where you are coming from. On the flip side, there is a difference between simply not giving a crap and continually trying to appear upmarket. The latter is garish indeed, and speaks to other issues. He is more the latter than the former. He does give a crap, but he continually tries to appear upmarket. I THINK it has something to do with him fighting his way out of the jungles of the Philippines (meeting my mother and conceiving me in the process), arriving in the US with a hundred bucks in his pocket and working his way to the upper strata. He just is addicted to getting things cheaper than normal, so he scoffs at me when I purchase shoes that are over 200 bucks (even over 100 is blood boiling to him). He then shows me how I can save money by buying cheaper (read: uglier) shoes, with the same brand name. Oh and he's really fat. That makes a big difference in the type of clothes he can wear. He's prolly 5'6 230-240 pounds. He wears a 48 or a 50 i think in jacket size. Ugh theres just so many things that make people think twice about trusting him with their money...the stitched up jacket vents/pockets, the obviously polyester material of almost all his clothing, and for some reason, he gets his jackets LONG which is just wrong, because he has short legs. He almost looks like hes wearing a zoot suit. Arggg its really hard to type this... Oh yeh, in regards to his created polo jacket, imagine this:
Ralph+Lauren+Crest+Blazer.JPG
Except in 4 button polyester green with patch pockets

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just ignore him - he seems to be an ass hole. Ban him from your office as well, how many feathers go to their son's place of work for goodness sake?

Saltricks

Reaction score
Originally Posted by GBR
Just ignore him - he seems to be an ass hole. Ban him from your office as well, how many feathers go to their son's place of work for goodness sake?

Family business

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Staff online

Forum statistics