• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants are now live. These cargos are based off vintage US Army BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) cargos. They're made of a premium 13.5-ounce Japanese twill that has been sulfur dyed for a vintage look. Every detail has been carried over from the inspiration and elevated. Available in two colorways, tundra and woodland. Please find them here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help Me Choose Glasses Color: Black Vs. Cocobolo

randomguy100

Reaction score
Wanted to get some advice on which color-way to go with.

Currently I have the Oliver Peoples Elins in Cocobolo

In that shape, I def. prefer the Coco over the black.

I bought these but accidentally stepped on them before I could get lenses installed. I believe a family member is rebuying them as a gift for me so this should be in the rotation in the near future as well.

With that being said, my third pair has to be a drastic different shape. I've decided on going with the Maslons.

The issue is, I have no idea what color to go with. Black vs cocobolo. Something about the black is nice but at the same time, the simplicitity, the starkness, the "dullness" is kinda pushing me away from it. But again, something about that black is really attractive.

Then there is the Maslon in Coco. I'm sure in real life, it'll look almost black as my Elins look almost black in the right angle with just sprinkles of yellow but at the end of the day, you can't say its a pure black frame of course. The Coco comes off as more casual, has a personality, and of course lacks the dullness that the black has. But I don't know how I feel about having a second pair of glasses that are the same color as another.

Any advice? I'm an asian male with black hair, dark (almost black eyes). Honestly I think both colors will fit fine as I already have experience with Coco but still, wanted to get your opinions on this.

Last edited:

Jose Rosario

Reaction score
If you get both in the same color, you will not have much variety. I would get the second pair in black.

Last edited:

Murlsquirl

The Moral Squirrel
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum, random. I'd get the black for the same reason Jose mentioned. Best of luck.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

If you get both in the same color, you will not have much variety. I would get the second pair in black.

This ^^.
(Really a no brainer.)

Last edited:

TOstyle

Reaction score
I would also vote black for variety. Or flip the script and get the same shape in a smokey grey or something.

I really like the second pair. Can you please tell me where they are from?

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
No black, you already don't like them and you won't like wearing them. If you want a change get something other than black or the Cocobolo

mr monty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a black pair and and a tortoise pair. My 3rd pair is a kind of a mixture of the first 2 pairs :uhoh:

I having clear Rx lens put in this frame.

PS. not for the office

Last edited:

randomguy100

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply guys! Its not that I don't like black, I mean I like the frames in that color. Its just, its really simple. Dare I say, TOO simple? Just have trouble justifying paying 300+lenses for a pair of glasses that look that simple but then again I guess that applies to all designer brands that are now designed inconspicuously. But what you guys said, I totally echo. I love the frame design but I don't know how I feel about having two pairs of the same colored glasses. I keep flip flopping. I can see myself wearing black cause it goes with everything but at the same time it doesn't have any personality. AHHH. Sorry guys for being so indecisive.

@TOstyle the second frames in the photo are Oliver Peoples XXV in Amaretto! :)

TOstyle

Reaction score
The Oliver Peeps are real nice.

If you're having trouble justifying the purchase for a simple pair, then why not take this one off and just get some Warby Parkers? Then re-group and re-evaluate what you need and where you can fill in your collection, and justify a higher ticket price.

randomguy100

Reaction score
Coincidentally I tried 3 At-Homes from Warby. I have a slightly wide face/head so all 15 frames that interested me from Warby fit as though they were designed for kids on me.

They were either too small or the temples were crushing me. I could get them adjusted of course but then it looks un-proportional as the size of the frames would look odd because of the splayed out temple arms.

They make well designed glasses. Unfortunately it seems as though most of the glasses are tailored to the small faced population.

TOstyle

Reaction score
That's probably right, though don't they come in different widths?

They've got a good selection of styles now and a great price point. But they aren't actually as nice as the ones you've picked out here. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

randomguy100

Reaction score
Yeah, the last batch of Try-Ons came from the "wide" width category. Theoretically they should have fit perfectly and width wise they were fine. The issues were the height of the glasses were too low so my eyes were peaking out from the top of the frames. No denying that they have great glasses and that price point I'm not surprised that their company is about to be valued at one billion. One thing I did notice is while the price is great, the quality is def. somewhat reflective of what you pay for. While the OP and WP are both made from acetate, the construction of the OP def trumps the WP.

Thats not to say it was easy picking out my OP frames. I actually spent about $100 in shipping fees to try out 8-9 frames from them. Many of OP frames are also too low in height or the width is too narrow. Luckily I found that the Elins, Maslons, and XXV fit my face.

TOstyle

Reaction score
Agree 100%. If it doesn't fit, it doesn't fit and no point buying it. And the quality of the plastic for the WP's is not anywhere near as good as the acetate on the OP's and similar quality.

It would be great if the "premium" frame market wasn't such a racket, and you could get a good quality acetate for $250, $350 with lenses. I'd pay that happily.

Have you looked at any Gatrett Leight's? They have some decent stuff, which tends toward sunglasses, but still some nice frames: http://www.garrettleight.com/shop/

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahmedk47