• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help me choose cheap transportation.

ken

Banned by Request
Reaction score
Driving habits:
  • ~28 miles each way to work 5 days / week on the expressway
  • Occasional 15 mile jaunts on the weekends.

Previous vehicle:
  • '98 Ford Ranger
  • 2.5L 4 cyl.
  • 5-speed
  • Slipped timing belt / possibly burnt valve. Ready for a new truck anyway.

Budget:
  • absolute max 6k
  • more realistically 4k
  • ideally 3k

Options:
  • 5-speed Cherokee
  • -- There's a couple on craigslist, one with the 2.5L and another with the 4.0L
  • 5-speed Isuzu Rodeo/Honda Passport
  • -- again, a couple on craigslist, but the one I like (and the cheapest) isn't 4x4. Also, I've read that the engines tend to lock up.
  • Tacoma
  • -- usually too pricey, but I've found a couple that might work.
  • S-10 with ZR-2 package
  • -- I don't really want another base-model pickup. If I get a pickup, I'd like it to be 4x4 / v6, or at least have a lift package (I've ran into trouble trying to traverse water in my Ranger).

I guess I'm looking for a daily driver that isn't a coupe or sedan and can get through Chicago winters. Reliability is, of course, a factor, but not a main one unless the issue is debilitating at ~200,000 miles.

Thoughts? Thanks.

Pilot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

tsacain

Reaction score
Last week when I was at the beach they had a (96ish?) 3500 dually diesel 4x4 ram for $3,850. I did not look at miles or anything else because if I did I would have bought it. What you want is easily found. I know my 2002 nissan frontier v6 on a 4x4 frame but 4x2. with 125k miles I can get 5k easy. (I have taken it offroading with my buddies with 4x4's plus I have driven it in deep snow.) I learned deep snow from a stop I am screwed but as long as I have some forward force I am good. If you find someone who really wants to sell you can get a hell of a deal.

Last edited:

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
if you are looking at cheap transportation, i wouldn't look at a 4.0L Cherokee or anything else that has a big engine. with the miles you drive the bump in fuel costs will certainly make your incremental total costs far over $3-4k even if you got the car itself cheap.

what did your Ranger get, like 20-25 mpg? a Cherokee might only give you 16.

do you have to have a pickup? a used Civic can be had well under your budget and with far better fuel consumption. reliable too.

otherwise, you're probably stuck with something like a Tacoma 4x4

Last edited:

henrikc

Reaction score
As HRoi asks, does it have to be a pickup truck?

I would take a look at Subaru at your price point -- you can get a late 1990s well within your budget, with a reasonable milage (100-150k). They come with AWD, good ground clearance and will probably have a much better MPG than a truck.

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.j...pe=b&num_records=25&cardist=37&standard=false

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.j...pe=b&num_records=25&cardist=37&standard=false

This is newer (2003), but the milage is rather high and it's pushing it budget wise. Would take a look though. http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.j...pe=b&num_records=25&cardist=33&standard=false

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 94 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads