• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help finding suit for law firm interviews

clip

Reaction score
I attended a very lengthy seminar about interviews at law firms at the Law Society, and this is what I gleaned:

I think you're mixing up two different worries.

The first would be whether or not you're going to be able to dress appropriately for a Summer Vac interview. If the suit is clean and conservative and fits "ok" then there won't be a problem. With any kind of professional environment, those would be the main concerns, although the more visual things would be making sure your tie and (if worn) cufflinks aren't outrageous. One partner said that he always looked to see if shoes were clean, and if they matched the socks (ie they weren't white) but in fairness, the rest of the panel of experts had other ideas about that*. As with anything, your dress is important - but they are ultimately only looking to see if you can be presented to a client in the first instance; and the other stuff like your spoken communication and attitude will be far more important.

The second, separate issue is whether or not you are dressed well enough to meet your own particular standards. It never hurts to be well-dressed, but there will come a point at which you'll stray into gilding the lily. There is a difference between being well-dressed and appropriately dressed, and a law firm may not be looking for the former, especially from students.

Good luck with that, though.

*The guy was a recruitment partner at a corporate firm and mentioned that he looked first at an interviewee to see if they were dressed properly (he didn't say "well") He said that if a candidate had obviously not polished his shoes, that was an "instant fail" in his book. There may have been some merit in his philosophy, but other interviewing partners and HR managers from other firms countered that their policy was that very few things should be an "instant fail", maybe a Nazi insignia or prison gang tattoo on your forehead. And that anything else should be redeemable with a strong showing elsewhere. Of course, the consensus was that clean shoes are better.

arirang

Reaction score
In the Canadian legal biz and not a partner, but have been on hiring committees. Appearance is not a big deal. It is near the bottom of the list of other considerations like a) first and foremost, do people like you and could they work with you, b) are you smart and can you learn, and c) how responsible are you. Appearance basically boils down to three possible grades:

1. Acceptable appearance - i.e. decent suit, good haircut and hygiene, no obvious screwups (white socks with dress suit, superman tie, that kind of thing). Probably a good 90% of the interviewees fit into this category, and it's all you really need. The reality is that nearly any new suit will put you in this category, even if it's from Sears, Moores or Tip Top.

2. Outstanding appearance - i.e. obviously excellent suit and shoes, great haircut, etc. Maybe 5% fit this category and anyone who spends time here is likely to fall into that group. It's basically the people who enjoy dressing up and put care into it. I'm not sure that it really provides a huge leg-up, though. You can get someone smart a new suit, but a failing course grade can't be covered up with Kiton.

3. Poor appearance - very rare, maybe 5% or so fail the grade. Even someone who can't dress worth a damn will get a job if the grades, smarts and personality are there, although terrible appearance will inevitably plant the seeds of doubt.

So really, you have nothing to worry about. The goal is to not let your appearance be an obstacle to getting a job, and you have clearly reached that level.

phxlawstudent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My understanding of what firms are looking for in the dress of potential summers is the following:
1) You won't embarrass the company
2) You are willing to conform to their standards (ie your not wearing a bow tie in California, your suit isn't white, etc.)

Other than that, what you wear isn't going to make or break you. Grooming is probably more important than what you wear. Well pressed shirts and polished shoes help.

Government agencies probably just care that your free, willing to work & learn, and will conform to the dress code.

Klobber

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
For a 1L that suit looks acceptable. It could use a good pressing but otherwise it shouldn't cause you to lose out on any potential job offers.

deem

Reaction score
Thanks for all of the input, everyone. I feel that I have a better understanding of what I can alter on this suit and where I may have gone wrong.

My other hope in starting this thread was to gather information on what I should be looking for when I purchase my second suit (dark gray/charcoal). If anybody knows of any spring or summer sales that will be occurring, please let me know. I am hoping to learn from this suit and buy a somewhat more expensive better quality gray suit that more properly fits me. I will already be keeping an eye on any Brooks Brothers and J Crew sales, but any other recommendations/tips are more than welcome. Thanks again.

deem

Reaction score
Hey everyone, I am now searching for a jacket or two to go with the dress pants I already have. I didn't want to start a new thread, so I figured I would just keep posting me questions in here. One pair is a dark charcoal birdseye and the other is a lighter gray/silverish (a little less for work but maybe for going to different social events). I am mostly looking for a jacket to go with the silver-ish pants (that are kind of a birdseye w/ black) because I need it for events, such as dances or social events, that require a jacket and tie (but are less formal than the office. Other recommendations for jackets (colors, patterns) that would be good for a small law office are much appreciated. Thanks for the help!

trigirdbers

Reaction score
Originally Posted by deem
Thanks for all of the input, everyone. I feel that I have a better understanding of what I can alter on this suit and where I may have gone wrong. My other hope in starting this thread was to gather information on what I should be looking for when I purchase my second suit (dark gray/charcoal). If anybody knows of any spring or summer sales that will be occurring, please let me know. I am hoping to learn from this suit and buy a somewhat more expensive better quality gray suit that more properly fits me. I will already be keeping an eye on any Brooks Brothers and J Crew sales, but any other recommendations/tips are more than welcome. Thanks again.
I went thru this myself. In the end, you can't go wrong with Brooks Brothers. Is it the most fashionable? Not by a long shot. But it is the most conservative. Its high enough quality that you look like you belong but in no way flashy so there is no chance of the interviewer feeling like you are showing him or her up. Its nice to wear a suit that you know cannot possibly be incorrect in any particular during interviews. Save style for when you make partner.

Lord Asquith

Reaction score
Here's what you should wear: a navy blazer, grey trousers, yellow oxford shirt and rep tie and black shoes (slipons, penny). It's safe and they know you're 22 so you don't have to look like the President of the firm although he may dress this way himself too.

Lord Asquith

Reaction score
Originally Posted by deem
Thanks for all of the input, everyone. I feel that I have a better understanding of what I can alter on this suit and where I may have gone wrong.

My other hope in starting this thread was to gather information on what I should be looking for when I purchase my second suit (dark gray/charcoal). If anybody knows of any spring or summer sales that will be occurring, please let me know. I am hoping to learn from this suit and buy a somewhat more expensive better quality gray suit that more properly fits me. I will already be keeping an eye on any Brooks Brothers and J Crew sales, but any other recommendations/tips are more than welcome. Thanks again.

Where are you located?

ExHack

Reaction score
I know I give this advice too often, but if you're in a city that has a Nordstrom Rack or Off 5th, try them and you'll probably find a decent suit for $500>. The Rack usually has a smattering of Hickey Freeman and Hart Schaffner Marx, although I've lately noticed an uptick of cheap Made-in-the-PRC crap like CK and Ben Sherman that was never in their main stores. Off 5th tends more toward Burberry, Theory (also grossly overpriced made in China, but probably suits a 22 y/o in cut if not quality), and their house label made from Loro Piana. Tag prices are over your budget, but their sales are almost constant, at least as much as the ones at a mall store.

If you want BB on a budget, go to one of the outlet stores and get a 346 suit - you should pay about $300. The quality is not much better than a mall suit, but the overall look and cut will be hard for most interviewers to distinguish from a "real" BB suit. Most of the details that make a "real" BB suit cost hundreds more are in the construction and/or fabric quality. In short, you'll "pass."

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads