• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help!! Advice needed...Clubbing clothes and... shoes

*gucci mane*

Reaction score
Hey everyone, I just discovered this forum and I think its great. Now I've got a party held at a club this weekend ( a dance party at the typical downtown nightclub) and I've got no sense of what to wear at all!!! Now I've just gotta a few questions I'd like to ask all of u sage fashionistas :p

First of all, what to wear for shoes??? I'm having trouble deciding on the footwear to go. Obviously I know sneakers are a sin, but should I go in dress shoes? How about this pair of brown suede loafers? I have no idea whether to go in leather or suede. Loafers or dress shoes, so if anyone could lay down the basics for me that would be good.

Would this be a good shoe to wear? http://images.trademe.co.nz/photoser...65383_full.jpg

Regarding clothes, would a plain white logo t-shirt and a pair of blue jean do? I mean obviously that might be "just passable" but since I dont go to these bigger dance parties all that much (I go clubbing regularly though) so I'd like to dress up quite well for this particular occasion. Any good suggestions? I was thinking about a dress shirt plus a waistcoat and a normal pair of dark blue jeans. Also contemplating on maybe wearing my pair of white jeans?

TIA

acecow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Such shoes are typically frowned upon. Whenever I go to a club, I wear either dark jeans or slacks with a slim-fit dress shirt and a pair of comfortable dress shoes. To my taste that looks infinitely better than the typical A|X club crowd. It's not too dressy and classy at the same time.

What other shoes do you have?

Also, don't wear too colorful or black shirts.

*gucci mane*

Reaction score
frowned upon? why? cos they are too casual? because I get the sense that if I went in black leather dress shoes that might be a touch too formal.

also for clothes, mind giving me a few photos? do u mean a plain white dress shirt or?

Im thinking maybe if I have a dress shirt I'd want a dress jacket/blazer over that.. can you give me like a good recommendation for that?

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
What's the scene. Hipster? Suburban college town?

Look, you could probably just wear nice jeans and a v-neck or some **** and look good. Don't dress up like an asshole with a stick up his ass at the age of 20.

DRESSIEST you should go, unless you are in a very well-dressed or hip crowd, is slacks and a shirt. You may still look a little too lame wearing that. But it could work if it's the 20-year old wannabe banker crowd.

If you just want to fit in - jeans and a striped untucked shirt. It won't make you stand out, and it is a hated look here, but no one will give you **** for it.

acecow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think those are squared toes and of very questionable styling. People on this forum tend to like more elegant shoes. If you wear classical brown dress shoes, it won't look boring or formal. It will look tasteful and mature.

As far as pictures go, try this thread:

http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=160731

You should be able to find some very nice shirt + slacks pictures, although most will be with jackets on. See if you like any of those looks, maybe it's better to wear a t-shirt and jeans for your personality. Only you can decide. I wouldn't recommend wearing a jacket to a club as it will be sweaty.

xCoffee

Reaction score
Metrostyles has got the call just about right.

Striped untucked shirt and jeans will make you blend right in. It's a hated look among those who know better, but it's what the college clubbing crowd wears.

That said, going a slight notch above or below would do you well. Slightly casual with a nice vneck and nice jeans maybe if you can pull the look of casual well. a nice solid shirt that fits very well will make you stand out just a shade as well as a lot of the stripe shirt wearing crowd have billowing shirts.

and this is a college club, not a lounge. shoes should be trendy. Streetwear subforum fashion rather than this section's standards. if you insist on going nicer, don't go with a middle ground loafer you'd wear with a sports coat and khakis. it'll make you look too conservative and lame and detract from the casual but put together look and put you more in the casual and double-checked to be conservative look.

*gucci mane*

Reaction score
not hipster or suburban or anything..but people like to dress up a lot. as you can imagine its not all tuxedos and such but more of a street look. maybe because there are lots of asians going to this party so I have to at least dress up and not look totally out of place.

its not hip at all so I wouldn't go too formal for it.

amplifiedheat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MetroStyles
Don't dress up like an asshole with a stick up his ass

I feel like there's a semantic problem here.

xCoffee

Reaction score
would you be able to give us a geographic location? some of the members might have an idea of what the usual trend is in your area.

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by *gucci mane*
not hipster or suburban or anything..but people like to dress up a lot. as you can imagine its not all tuxedos and such but more of a street look. maybe because there are lots of asians going to this party so I have to at least dress up and not look totally out of place. its not hip at all so I wouldn't go too formal for it.
hip big sneakers, dark blue jeans, plaidish urban outfitters-type hipster shirt (shoulder tabs, rolled up sleeves with buttoned tab) and you are done.

arc

Reaction score
Go read Streetwear and Denim. This is the wrong board for the clubbing look.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads