• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hawaii

Fabienne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a planned business trip coming up to Hawaii. I know everything is going to be out of reach, but: are there decent men's stores I shouldn't miss, if only out of interest?

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
hawaiian shirts....

Fabienne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
hawaiian shirts....
Na, I got him one in Tahiti two years ago (OK, a Tahitian shirt, but they're extremely similar) and he hasn't worn it once. So I appropriated it.

johnnynorman3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There is a vintage watch shop called TKK or something like that -- might be on Maui, but I'm not sure. Lot's of great vintage Omegas. Do some searching and you'll find it.

JBZ

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Fabienne: If you're going to be in Oahu, I recommend visiting Newt at the Royal, which is located at The Royal Hawaiian Hotel in Waikiki. I am in no way associated with this establishment, I just think it's really nifty. The Waikiki area also has many higher end retail establishments (I don't know how many bargains you'll be able to find, however). I know you said you're not interested in Hawaiian shirts, but Newt is a small specialty store which sells Hawaiian shirts modeled after those which were made in the 1940s and 1950s (at least according to them). They also sell Panama hats (which are quite a bit more expensive than the shirts). My wife and I were in Hawaii for our honeymoon in 2001 (quite original, yes?). I really liked the store (obviously). It is something unique in a place where you can buy a Hawaiian shirt on every street corner. I purchased a shirt which I pull out during the summer months on the weekends from time to time, and it has held up well. They have a website, which is www.newtattheroyal.com. Sorry if I've sounded like an infomercial. Regards, Jeff

Fabienne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Registrations have not been made yet, but the person in charge of booking my trip said I would most likely stay at that particular hotel. I should be able to visit the store between meetings.
smile.gif

JBZ

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Great.

My wife and I stayed at the Sheraton Waikiki, which is right next door, but we ate a couple of meals at the Royal Hawaiian (very good, as I recall). The hotel is right on the beach.

The only bad thing about Oahu is that there aren't many touristy things to do (other than the Pearl Harbor memorial). However, there are many good restaurants, to the extent you have time. I'm sure the concierge can help. Avoid the Dole plantation. It's the very definition of tourist trap (cheap tee shirts and soft-serve pineapple ice cream).

Have a great trip.

Regards,

Jeff

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Never been there, but I occasionallly order stuff from Aloharag, which is in Honolulu, I think. Great collection of Margiela and similar brands, with an emphasis on casualwear. Very cool - though the prices are standard designer.

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I was just in Hawaii and just stayed in the Royal Hawaiian, I would highly recommend the hotel. As for shopping, across the street on the main beachfront blvd are Gucci, Prada, Ferragamo, Hermes, YSL, LV, and others. Ala Moana mall, which is a short trolley ride away has even more stores, and is a really nice place to shop, they have live music and a bunch of interesting Japanese stores as well as the normal Prada, NM, Gucci, Chanel, etc.

Fabienne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was just in Hawaii and just stayed in the Royal Hawaiian, I would highly recommend the hotel.  As for shopping, across the street on the main beachfront blvd are Gucci, Prada, Ferragamo, Hermes, YSL, LV, and others.  Ala Moana mall, which is a short trolley ride away has even more stores, and is a really nice place to shop, they have live music and a bunch of interesting Japanese stores as well as the normal Prada, NM, Gucci, Chanel, etc.
What is the nature of the Japanese stores?

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
There is a Japanese department store and several boutiques, it's a scaled down version of what you might find in Ginza, but still quite a bit better than what we have here in the US, some interesting electronic items that they don't have on the mainland and other items as well. Also, if you can get a duty free tag (which you won't, coming from the US) they have a duty-free mall across the street from the Royal Hawaiian, you make your purchases then pick them up at the airport, some ridiculously good deals, especially on liquor and other heavily taxed items. I did stopovers on the way to Asia all the time for shopping there.

Fabienne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thank you for all this information. I have copied it in my "valuable information from style forum" file before it gets burried so deep I can't find it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads