• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Having problems picking Modern Tailor Fabrics!?!?

likeaboss

Reaction score
Does anyone else have problems picking out fabrics at Modern Tailor? I've been browsing the shirt gallery and every time I find something I like I look for it and can't find it in the fabric selections. Am I doing this backwards?

Is there a set of rules you guys use to pick fabrics? I wish there were comments & user pictures uploaded to each fabric on the site.

PS: Anyone else find the site extremely slowwwwww?

blahman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Pointless choosing fabric from gallery, as they have so little of each fabric in stock and hardly ever see them in stock again once they get sold out. Just have to pick from the cloth selection from the start and pick a 2ply fabric.

Beatlegeuse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Pointless choosing fabric from gallery, as they have so little of each fabric in stock and hardly ever see them in stock again once they get sold out. Just have to pick from the cloth selection from the start and pick a 2ply fabric.

+1, go to the regular fabric selection part of the website and go from there. Their site is never slow for me though, it's always been pretty fast.

tobiasj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is the one big problem with Modern Tailor, and yet I'm still ordering shirts from them because I'm very happy with the finished shirts and the price. Like Blahman I usually just sort for 2-ply fabrics, pick one and hope it works out for the best.

Note that you can get more shirts made from the trial blue fabric (a decent choice) if you pick another fabric that costs $40 and then email them immediately after placing your order.

If it's all too difficult, you could try www.biasedcut.com, who have a lovely website. I've ordered one of their shirts but haven't received it yet, so I can't comment on the quality, and it is more expensive. GREAT website though...

likeaboss

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice. I previously ordered a trial shirt to Canada which was not great and had horrible fabric (Black Plain / P92C). Then I fixed my measurements and ordered a basic white shirt (k2), which is practically see-through. It is apparent that you need to spend more to get a good fabric (or get lucky with sales) but at the same time it feels risky. One of my concerns is that I'll pay $150+ (after shipping, tax, etc.) and the color in the picture will be not quite what I receive.

That trial blue oxford does look decent, I tried to order it for my trial shirt but they said it wasn't available for Canadian customers.

These are some I'm considering right now. I may order one at a time to reduce my loss if things don't turn out as I expect.

Lightblue Twill
USD $109.95
No.: 81135
Material: Pure cotton
two ply
Thread Count: 100

Plum Twill
USD $109.95
No.: 81125
two ply

Light Grey
USD $109.95
No.: 81118
two ply
Thread Count: 120

likeaboss

Reaction score
Appreciate all the advice. I've ordered two shirts so far from MT. My first shirt was way off and a horrible fabric (Black plain / P92C) but I think I corrected it with my second shirt. Although I find that one of the collar likes to curl up despite being ironed flat. I ordered a cheaper plain white shirt (White / k2) as my second shirt, to try to judge the quality of some cheaper fabrics. The shirt is nearly see-through. It's apparent now that I need to spend more to get a good quality fabric.

That trial blue oxford fabric looks decent and I tried ordering it as my trial shirt but MT said it wasn't available for Canadian customers.

Here are a few I'm looking at now. I may order one at a time so I can minimize my losses if they don't turn out. One of my concerns is that the color represented in the pictures isn't what I receive.

Lightblue Twill
USD $109.95
No.: 81135
two ply

Plum Twill
USD $109.95
No.: 81125
two ply

Light Grey
USD $109.95
No.: 81118
two ply
Thread Count: 120

Grey

Reaction score
Nice to know that I can get more MT shirts from the demo blue fabric, which I happen to be wearing right now.

My frist one came out smashing, although I'm going to do another collar choice next time and get a little more sleeve length. Otherwise perfect.

Would like to be able to just ask them a question and have them pick a fabric for me though. By the time I get swatches and all that jazz, I feel like whatever I pick is going to be sold out anyway.

peeer

Reaction score
This is going to be the just one huge subject with modern Tailor, and however I'm even now purchasing shirts from them because I'm amazingly fulfilled using the finished shirts along using the price. Like Blahman I ordinarily just sort for 2-ply fabrics, choose just one and wish it operates out for the best.

Note that you simply could possibly get very much more shirts produced by means of the trial blue material (a decent choice) whenever you choose an extra material that costs $40 after which e-mail them immediately shortly after placing your order.

If it's all as well difficult, you can try www.biasedcut.com, who possess a beautiful website. I've ordered just one of the shirts but haven't obtained it yet, so I can't comment inside the quality, also it is very much more expensive. amazing website though

cheap polo shirt
Men's Ralph Lauren Shorts
Women's RL Polo Shirts

Last edited:

likeaboss

Reaction score
Oops, looks like I posted twice. I thought my post failed the first time around, so I rewrote it only to see after my 2nd post it said it had to be moderated. Was expecting SF mods to delete one of them but they published both :D.

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Does anyone else have problems picking out fabrics at Modern Tailor? I've been browsing the shirt gallery and every time I find something I like I look for it and can't find it in the fabric selections. Am I doing this backwards?

Is there a set of rules you guys use to pick fabrics? I wish there were comments & user pictures uploaded to each fabric on the site.

PS: Anyone else find the site extremely slowwwwww?

You are.

Either buy from someone like Ascot Chang who may well be able to match what you think you want or else just select from what they offer at the time.

Yes it is reprehensibly slow. It has been since this conversion to what appears to a commercial venture some weeks back where advertisements and other sponsorship etc took primary place. Regrettably it has the same or very similar format the the AAAC Boards which are blatantly commercial with the thinnest veneer of normality.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 100 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads