• We would like to welcome Exquisite Trimmings as an official Affiliate Vendor. Exquisite Trimmings is a UK based purveyor of the very best in clothing and accessories, from gloves by Thomas Reimer to leather portfolios from Il Micio, to watch rolls by Rapport London. Please visit their new thread and give them a warm welcome.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Have You Read Any Mario Vargas Llosa? ..

cmeisenzahl

Reaction score
I'm not much of a fiction reader and am new to Mr. Llosa. What one or two titles of his would you recommend to get started?

Thanks very much in advance,
Chris

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I read In Praise of the Stepmother, which is, more or less, about a young boy who seduces his stepmother, but I think is really about the sensuousness of moments (witness, if you read it, the depth of Don Rigoberto's morning ablutions). ~ H

clockwise

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes, not long ago I read The Bad Girl which I found fascinating. A both hilarious and sentimental read. Someone has called it a modern Madame Bovary. Definitely recommended! Heavier going as I remember it from 20 years or more ago was The War of the End of the World. It it is maybe his "masterpiece" and I may have to re-read to fully appreciate. I have The Feast of the Goat waiting for me since a year or so, bought after I finished The Bad Girl but other stuff caught my attention at the time. It should be a very good read from what I am hearing.

life_interrupts

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
+1 for In Praise of the Stepmother. I read it some 20 years ago and remember liking the tie-in to Renaissance-era art. And it was really naughty.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How do you feel about spending money on non-essential goods during the Covid-19 crisis?

• I don't want to spend money at a time of economic uncertainty, even if I could afford it.

• I feel compelled to spend to help small businesses that are struggling.

• I reduced my budget for non-essential goods and I'm not spending at the moment.

• Not much has changed for me and I'm still buying stuff I can't afford.

Results are only viewable after voting.