• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

have you ever heard of this pants alteration being done?

random512

Reaction score
A few months ago I posted to this forum about a problem where the pockets on my pants puffed out. Tonight I figured out the problem. The pants were cut so the pockets would lay perfectly flat if I wear the pants fully over my hips and halfway up my back. When I wear my pants like this, the pockets lay perfectly flat and look nice and clean. But I wear my pants lower on my hips. Hence the pockets puff out. I'm going to consult with my local tailor on Tuesday about the following alteration:

1. Pin the excess pocket fabric
2. Clip out the excess pocket fabric
3. Create a horizontal seam as needed to sew the pants back together

This is a very unconventional alteration but my pants are all black or dark navy so I seriously doubt that anyone will notice a subtle horizontal seam below the beltline. And the alternative of puffy pockets looks slovenly and ridiculous. Have you ever heard of this pants alteration being done?

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
A few months ago I posted to this forum about a problem where the pockets on my pants puffed out. Tonight I figured out the problem. The pants were cut so the pockets would lay perfectly flat if I wear the pants fully over my hips and halfway up my back. When I wear my pants like this, the pockets lay perfectly flat and look nice and clean. But I wear my pants lower on my hips. Hence the pockets puff out. I'm going to consult with my local tailor on Tuesday about the following alteration:

1. Pin the excess pocket fabric
2. Clip out the excess pocket fabric
3. Create a horizontal seam as needed to sew the pants back together

This is a very unconventional alteration but my pants are all black or dark navy so I seriously doubt that anyone will notice a subtle horizontal seam below the beltline. And the alternative of puffy pockets looks slovenly and ridiculous. Have you ever heard of this pants alteration being done?
Im sure they can do something, but why not just wear them where they were intended? It sounds like they were built to be worn with a suit jacket.

paxonus

Reaction score
It sounds like the rise is much higher than you like. The simple solution is to use suspenders or a belt to wear them at the point at which they were designed to be worn.

random512

Reaction score
well these pants were made bespoke for me based on how I normally wear my pants so clearly they were not made well. I'd rather have the pants updated to fit the way that I wear them. Then I can work with my tailor to ensure that he gets the measurements correct for my next pants

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads