• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Have to wear Men's Wearhouse Tux for a wedding....

kstyle

Reaction score

^^ what he said. Its their day not yours. It might be surprising because the general consensus on this forum is that the majority of the public does not know anything about clothing, but i went to a friends wedding recently where everyone was in suits. I wore a solid navy blue suit from Steed with a white shirt and grey tie, pretty much what everyone else was wearing but swap navy blue with grey, and the grey tie with blue and vice versa. The bride actually approached me that night and asked me why "i out dressed the groom" I felt like a jackass the rest of the night. Now would i go and buy a cheap suit for these things? probably not but in the case of the OP he is actually being provided with what to wear,

that would make me feel like crap as well.....although at the end of the day is not your fault, specially if you are a guest, but to be in the wedding party, you must obey by the grooms and brides rules, funny thing is im sure women who have been bridesmaids have dealt with worst than this.

acridsheep

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thank god you realized this, because this was exactly my intent in trying to get a tuxedo that fit properly! 

Also, the wedding is out of state.  You know what they say about assumptions!

So, to summarize the thread:

1. I state that I will be wearing a Men's Warehouse tuxedo for the wedding and ask for ideas how to improve it, or for a specific fit I should ask for.

2.  People desperately try to convince me to wear the Men's Warehouse tuxedo that I already said I was wearing in the OP.

You have potential. My people will be in touch.

calcoast

Reaction score
If you can't feel comfortable in an ill-fitting tux for a few hours bring a flask. I can almost guarantee nobody will notice and say to themselves "I can't see a quarter inch of his sleeves under his jacket, throw him out immediately!"

kstyle

Reaction score
yeah my only problem would be spending ANY money on something i know i would hate....lol

if the groom wants full control, he should be the one paying for the rentals IMO....

dirkweems

Reaction score
Grin and bear it.

My best mate got married two years ago and his wife to be insisted that the groomsmen wear these hideous gold ties that she purchased. They cost $6 a piece. There was one more fashion diktat, no formal shirts. So there we were, wearing regular old white shirts you may wear to work on a Monday morning, but with awful gold ties. Just that once, I regretted wearing my bespoke Savile Row dinner jacket. I honestly felt i had insulted my tailor and everybody who worked on my DJ In fact, even the blokes wearing MW rentals felt stupid.

Black tie means black tie. Not gold or whatever. Unless you are in Miami I guess.

hyt123

Reaction score
No, I have to waste $170 of my own money on the rental.

Must be a pretty close cousin, because if it was mine it'd be an automatic decline on principle. Dictating how you want someone to look at your wedding is all well and good but then making them also foot the bill is in extremely poor taste. IMO, of course.

Ivon

Reaction score
Forget the smug self serving bs from the narcissistic wankers, in this situation, you take one for the team, be is family. Do the best you can with what you get, but it is THEIR day, not yours. All eyes will be on the groom, not you. It's like being in a strip joint, if you aren't nekkid, nobody notices or cares. The tux is out of your control, other guys will be wearing the same fugly outfit, but you aren't the groom. It may offend your sartorial sensibities, but family is family. You will hear more about being a dick than the outfit after the fact. Been there, done that. If you think your tux sucks, wait til you see the bridesmaids, bad taste is consistent.

jeff13007

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Wow. Im sorry man. $170 seems like a lot especially for a MW tuxedo, not really sure about the prices of rentals as i have been fortunate enough to always had/been able to wear my own but for a MW tux it seems like you are paying close to half the cost of buying the actual tuxedo from them. Which IMO seems absurd.

Snedley

Reaction score
Well,

For my cousin's wedding they are forcing everyone to wear a Men's Wearhouse tux. I politely asked if I could wear my own, but they say that want everyone matching. Frankly, it's not worth creating a big stink out of arguing with them - it's their day, not mine.

Do they have any slim fix tuxes? Is there a certain cut I should ask for? Is there anything I can do to make it slightly less awful? My only experience with a rental tux was years ago in high school, and it was not a good one.

I'm thinking of wearing my own shoes....I have a feeling the patent leather ones they rent out will be ****.
It's their day, no big deal just wear it. Besides, what are you trying to do? Shag one of the bridesmaids?
lol8[1].gif

jamesny

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Just do whatever they ask of you, as you said, it's there day, not yours. The best you could hope for is to offer them some kind advice.
But if they want all matching - they want all matching.
I've worn some pretty dreadful stuff over the years.

Amen to that.

deveandepot1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

You should have mentioned that earlier. I would just buy the MW tux and have it altered to fit you.

Last edited:

dmourati

Reaction score
Less than 20% of the posters have read what OP wrote.

He is looking for ways to mitigate what he suspects will be a subpar experience wearing the MW tux he has been requested to wear when he owns his own rig.

The best suggestion came from Snoogz who said to surreptitiously tailor the tux outside of MW's purview and hope for the best.

On the other hand, I have my own suggestion. Wear your own tux and feign ignorance.

Quirk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So many responses here clarify the distinction between dressing like a gentleman and behaving like one.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 96 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.0%

Forum statistics

Threads