1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Have to wear Men's Wearhouse Tux for a wedding....

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by paradoxical3, May 28, 2012.

1. paradoxical3

paradoxical3 Well-Known Member

Well,

For my cousin's wedding they are forcing everyone to wear a Men's Wearhouse tux. I politely asked if I could wear my own, but they say that want everyone matching. Frankly, it's not worth creating a big stink out of arguing with them - it's their day, not mine.

Do they have any slim fix tuxes? Is there a certain cut I should ask for? Is there anything I can do to make it slightly less awful? My only experience with a rental tux was years ago in high school, and it was not a good one.

I'm thinking of wearing my own shoes....I have a feeling the patent leather ones they rent out will be shit.

2. Gdot

Gdot Well-Known Member

Just do whatever they ask of you, as you said, it's there day, not yours. The best you could hope for is to offer them some kind advice.

But if they want all matching - they want all matching.

I've worn some pretty dreadful stuff over the years.

Last edited: May 28, 2012
  3. lee_44106

lee_44106 Well-Known Member

^I disagree vehemently.

YOU are a special flower deserving specialness.

F*ck their Men's Warehouse tux.

3 people like this.
  4. Svenn

Svenn Well-Known Member

I've been subject to this cruelty before too, hopefully they'll let you change when it comes time for socializing.

5. PhiPsi32

PhiPsi32 Well-Known Member

The appropriate etiquette is to suck it up and wear the rental tux and rental shoes. The groom will select the tuxedo, shirt, tie, etc. You will receive a reservation code. Go into any Mens Wearhouse for measurements and tell them where you want to pick it up (usually one or two days before the event).

If it's really a problem, tell your cousin you're not going to attend.

6. paradoxical3

I wish; I don't even know why I'm in the wedding party. Haven't seen him in three years.

7. PhiPsi32

Family members have a unique ability to screw up what would otherwise be a nice day. This won't be the last time it happens.

8. ballmouse

ballmouse Well-Known Member

Wear your tux and pregame.

1 person likes this.
  9. Gradstudent78

Gradstudent78 Well-Known Member

It's their day, be a good cousin and wear what they want you to wear. Just give yourself plenty of time to pick out one that fits decently and get it tailored to fit as best as you can.

10. Macallan9

Macallan9 Well-Known Member

+1 Plebs. Show up in a light grey DB suit, fuck tha haters don't they know this is your special day?

11. jamesny

jamesny Well-Known Member

I second that. As they say, just suck it up and go anyway.

12. PhiPsi32

The groom will pick out the tux. You probably won't have a choice.

13. Gradstudent78

I was speaking more to picking one in terms of size (not style). As in, if he is a 40R, actually go in and try the 40R, 39R, 38R to get which one works the best.

14. Deadeye_Dick

Deadeye_Dick Member

Yes, Men's Warehouse tuxes suck. They blow. In most markets, however, they're just not too many better options. I had to look pretty hard to find anything decent, and, even then, it wasn't something I was 100% happy with.

So, from someone who got married recently, just wear their tux and forget about it. If someone's personality is so abhorrent that they cannot "shine" unless they are wearing the perfect attire at any given moment, bigger problems await them in life than a Men's Warehouse tux. Everyone will know that these are not your clothes, as will they know the same about everyone else in the wedding party. Therefore, it is up to you and how you act to place the perception in anyone's mind of you either as a gentlemen or as a putz.

And, truth be told, if you did wear your own tux and your own shoes, the strong probability is that you would be the only person to think positively of it, much less know they were of significantly higher quality.

1 person likes this.
  15. paradoxical3

It has nothing to do with being a gentlemen, a putz, personality types, etc. I just was wondering if there was a temporary way to improve the tux - perhaps a hidden way to pin fabric or temporarily hem the pants since I know they won't have anything to fit me (38S, drop 7). Since it's a rental I assume alterations won't be allowed.

16. Snoogz

Snoogz Well-Known Member

Get ahold of you tailor and inform him you will be having a rental tux for a wedding and you will receive it two days before. Now, with this you take him the rented tux, fork out the $$ to get that rental altered to you. Don't say a peep to anyone, it will be the best you can do. If you don't talk, MW will never know!

Just make sure when you go to try it on at MW, you get the closest to best fitting one, to minimize alterations. Bringing in the waist, taper the arms and length of sleeves along with a trouser taper, will really make you stand out amongst the rest of the Potato Sack's.

-this is what I would do if I were in your shoes.

1 person likes this.
  17. PhiPsi32

You best hope MW doesn't notice. Another member of the wedding party had his car broken into during the rehearsal dinner. They stole his tuxedo jacket, $300. His insurance covered it, thankfully.

18. Gradstudent78

They should at least offer some level of in-house alterations, not sure about taking it elsewhere.

19. canal_overdub

canal_overdub Well-Known Member

they do but it's not like, fantastic tailoring

I had to do this last year for my sister's wedding (i was in the wedding party so I really, really had no choice).

MW gave me a 38 or 40L and I had to swap it out the day before the wedding (in Ohio). For some reason my sister settled on an off-white ("ivory") that just made the shirt look dirty - the shirt could easily have accommodated two of me, but all they said at the store was "perfect."

I just put up with it. I look silly as hell in all the pics but it really wasn't up to me.

20. Deadeye_Dick

Deadeye_Dick Member

I'm sorry; I did not mean the bulk of my post to target you, but merely to speak towards the direction some of the thread had taken. I should have been more clear and separated portions out.

The problem you will face is that anything you can do to make the tux look better will by definition be noticeable, and therefore probably not be something that the bride and groom will want you to do.

I will also assume it will fit more like a sack suit and less like a form-fitting Italian, so, you might be out of luck there.