• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

    Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

    Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Harder to be a man or woman?

TyCooN

Distinguished Member
Joined
Jun 29, 2007
Messages
4,283
Reaction score
12
In regards to the boy / girl game.

Pros of being a man:
*You can be the ugliest person in the room and still try to chat up as many woman as you please. Not limited to what you're born with, it's possible to "create your own fate".

Cons of being a man:
*If you're not naturally smooth or slick, it takes hard work and a long time to learn the craft.

Pros of being a woman:
*If you're a decent looking woman, it's a guarantee you'll always have a few chumps chasing you.

Cons of being a woman:
*Limited to the men who decide to talk to them. She might really like someone, but if he doesn't want to go up to her, she's limited to just sitting there with her thumb up her AZZ and staring at him. A rare breed of women have the willingness to take a risk and approach a man they like, but they are an exception.

*Typically limited to what they're born with. Most can only play the cards they were given.

These aren't all the pros and cons, but it's all I can think of on a Saturday morning.

Do you think it's harder to be a man or woman?
 

tesseract

Distinguished Member
Joined
Dec 6, 2009
Messages
1,891
Reaction score
580
women have to shit out babies... men win
 

justsayno

Distinguished Member
Joined
Apr 4, 2008
Messages
1,823
Reaction score
94
childbirth is harder than no childsbirth. woman.
 

SField

Distinguished Member
Joined
Oct 19, 2008
Messages
6,278
Reaction score
24
I'd say it is much harder to be a woman in this world, even North America. The way women are expected to look and act places more limitations on them. They bleed every 28 days, and to some extent their hormonal balances are altered. Pregnancy can be a bitch. Etc.. etc.. I'm glad I'm not a woman.
 

erictheobscure

Distinguished Member
Joined
Feb 18, 2008
Messages
7,107
Reaction score
5,288
Hey Tiresias, you've hit some sort of stupid-question-asking jackpot. This is at once absurdly general, insultingly naive, and easy to answer.

By the way, the correct answer is women, the reasons being: you statistically earn less for the same amount of work, you consciously and regularly have to worry about the danger of being raped, and you might one day push a six- to nine-pound human through your genitals. The only semi-compelling counter-argument has to do with the anxieties produced by a culture that insists simultaneously on male strength and male attachment to women's desires. Meh.
 

TyCooN

Distinguished Member
Joined
Jun 29, 2007
Messages
4,283
Reaction score
12
Originally Posted by erictheobscure
Hey Tiresias, you've hit some sort of stupid-question-asking jackpot. This is at once absurdly general, insultingly naive, and easy to answer.

By the way, the correct answer is women, the reasons being: you statistically earn less for the same amount of work, you consciously and regularly have to worry about the danger of being raped, and you might one day push a six- to nine-pound human through your genitals. The only semi-compelling counter-argument has to do with the anxieties produced by a culture that insists simultaneously on male strength and male attachment to women's desires. Meh.

Did you even read the first post?
 

TyCooN

Distinguished Member
Joined
Jun 29, 2007
Messages
4,283
Reaction score
12
Originally Posted by SField
I'd say it is much harder to be a woman in this world, even North America. The way women are expected to look and act places more limitations on them. They bleed every 28 days, and to some extent their hormonal balances are altered. Pregnancy can be a bitch. Etc.. etc.. I'm glad I'm not a woman.
Men have more freedom along with responsibility. What do you think?
 

TyCooN

Distinguished Member
Joined
Jun 29, 2007
Messages
4,283
Reaction score
12

whiteslashasian

Stylish Dinosaur
Joined
Aug 20, 2008
Messages
11,917
Reaction score
1,972
Originally Posted by TyCooN
Most of us don't have the experience of being a woman.

I know, but if you were to ask a woman if it is easy or difficult to be one, I feel most would not reply with "it's a piece of cake".
 

mm84321

Distinguished Member
Joined
Aug 2, 2009
Messages
3,040
Reaction score
7
Good looking women definitely have it easier than ugly ones. Conversely, good looking men don't necessarily have it better than ugly men. Generally, more emphasis is put on technical and intellectual merit with males as opposed to with females. So I would say you have it easier as a man, even if good genetics aren't in your favor.

The dialogue from American Psycho comes to mind:

"If they have a good personality and they are not great looking, then who fucking cares?
Let's just say hypothetically, okay?
What if they have a good personality?
I know. I know.
There are no girls with good personalities.
A good personality consists of a chick with a little hard body...
who will satisfy all sexual demands...
without being too slutty about things...
and who will essentially keep her dumb fucking mouth shut.
The only girls with good personalities...
who are smart or maybe funny or halfway intelligent or talented--
though God knows what the fuck that means-- are ugly chicks.
Absolutely. And this is because they have to make up...
for how fucking unattractive they are."
 

TyCooN

Distinguished Member
Joined
Jun 29, 2007
Messages
4,283
Reaction score
12
Originally Posted by mm84321
Good looking women definitely have it easier than ugly ones. Conversely, good looking men don't necessarily have it better than ugly men. Generally, more emphasis is put on technical and intellectual merit with males as opposed to with females. So I would say you have it easier as a man, even if good genetics aren't in your favor.

The dialogue from American Psycho comes to mind:

"If they have a good personality and they are not great looking, then who fucking cares?
Let's just say hypothetically, okay?
What if they have a good personality?
I know. I know.
There are no girls with good personalities.
A good personality consists of a chick with a little hard body...
who will satisfy all sexual demands...
without being too slutty about things...
and who will essentially keep her dumb fucking mouth shut.
The only girls with good personalities...
who are smart or maybe funny or halfway intelligent or talented--
though God knows what the fuck that means-- are ugly chicks.
Absolutely. And this is because they have to make up...
for how fucking unattractive they are."

thanks for getting the ball rolling
 

mkarim

Distinguished Member
Joined
Sep 24, 2008
Messages
4,645
Reaction score
34
Originally Posted by SField
I'd say it is much harder to be a woman in this world, even North America. The way women are expected to look and act places more limitations on them.

I would disagree here. Women in North American have less limitations placed on them than do women in other countries (in general).
 

Featured Sponsor

How many pairs of shoes do you own?

  • 1 - 4

    Votes: 16 3.6%
  • 5 - 10

    Votes: 74 16.6%
  • 11 - 20

    Votes: 146 32.8%
  • 21 - 30

    Votes: 75 16.9%
  • 31 - 40

    Votes: 37 8.3%
  • 41 - 50

    Votes: 26 5.8%
  • 51 - 60

    Votes: 15 3.4%
  • 61 - 70

    Votes: 9 2.0%
  • 71 - 80

    Votes: 13 2.9%
  • 81 - 90

    Votes: 3 0.7%
  • 91 - 100

    Votes: 4 0.9%
  • 100+

    Votes: 27 6.1%

Related Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
427,540
Messages
9,199,972
Members
193,222
Latest member
GeoryWiuk

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Top