• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

gut check - orange tie?

Tyrone MacStiophain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nicola
This.

It's a $2 tie. I'm guessing you spend that on coffee .

Right - spent the $2, now trying to decide whether or not to wear the dang thing.

mktitsworth

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tyrone MacStiophain
Right - spent the $2, now trying to decide whether or not to wear the dang thing.

Well, if you decide not to, I'll pay you $3 plus shipping for it cause I like it.

artoftime

Reaction score
Originally Posted by SpooPoker
Its $2. Roll the dice and worst case scenario you use it to tie up your date. Cheaper than handcuffs.

nod[1].gif
rotflmao.gif

Don Carlos

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Oy vey. This is what I get for using an iphone camera and fluorescent light. It's a white shirt, and the linen jacket is a shade lighter than navy. Here's a pic that captures the colors of the tie better (orange, white, green and blue).
orangetie2.jpg
It's sort of a madras texture. Anyway, I already bought it, so the question is, do I wear it, or return it to another thrift store?

What, exactly, am I looking at here? Is this the tie laid across the jacket? Or the shirt? Can you take a pic while wearing the shirt and the tie and the jacket, and with better lighting? Very hard to make a serious assessment from this shot. As for whether or not to keep it: that's up to you, mang. You spent all of two clams on it. If you like it, keep it. If you don't, it's no great financial loss. Whatever your instinct tells you here is probably fine. There's nothing intrinsically wrong with the tie; it's just a matter of your personal taste at this point. I will admit, however, that I liked the tie substantially more when I thought it was brighter and paler. In the two pics you've posted, is the second a more accurate representation? If so, I'm not as much of a fan.

ktrp

Reaction score
While you may spend most of your time in the soporific tie thread, this tie is not, actually, very bright at all. Its a muted orange.

IMHO, its actually too muted to stand up to dark navy. Its a light summer tie. Its too washed out for winter.

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I think it's good. Try it with a light blue shirt as suggested. Also +1 to the suggestion of wearing it with lighter colored SC/suits. a dark navy or charcoal will overpower it.

Tyrone MacStiophain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Its $2. Roll the dice and worst case scenario you use it to tie up your date. Cheaper than handcuffs.

And with a bit more elan than, say, athletic tape (per your current avatar).
wink.gif

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
And with a bit more elan than, say, athletic tape (per your current avatar).
wink.gif

Cloth tape. Prevents collar stains. 2" wide.
biggrin.gif

Don Carlos

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Cloth tape. Prevents collar stains. 2" wide.
biggrin.gif

Out of curiosity, how many wearings can you get out of your non-iron shirts before washing them? I got up to 4 the other week, but then the grime bled through the cloth tape and onto the actual collar of the shirt. I've heard it is possible to achieve 5 consecutive wearings, but I'll believe it when I see it.

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Don Carlos
Out of curiosity, how many wearings can you get out of your non-iron shirts before washing them? I got up to 4 the other week, but then the grime bled through the cloth tape and onto the actual collar of the shirt. I've heard it is possible to achieve 5 consecutive wearings, but I'll believe it when I see it.

Breaking point before disintegration is about 27.5 wearings, including 3 bar crawls.

Don Carlos

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Breaking point before disintegration is about 27.5 wearings, including 3 bar crawls.

Damn, dude. You are fully reevolved.
worship.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 104 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 103 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.5%

Forum statistics

Threads