• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gun Appreciation Thread

Cold Iron

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Skeet is harder to learn, but easier to master with experience. For most people that is. If you miss on 8 Low your supposed to carve your name in the low house door even if your a beginner ;-) My name would be all over the country if that was true LOL. But it is a good station to put someone on who has never shot before to learn how to shoot with a box of shells. None are hard to hit but all are easy to miss in both venues. Wobble is great for practice before hunting season and just plain fun, although ATA trap shooters will often balk at shooting it. Sounds like you had a good time, I hope it continues for you!

Mauro

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
@ cold iron: thanks. I enjoy the sport. I feel good when I am shooting. I didn't think I would enjoy skeet as much as I thought but it's hella fun. When my score gets to where I want it to be I will start shooting 5 stand. Without anyone to shoot with sporting clays just sucks. 5 stand is a great way for me to shoot by myself. Today I was the only guy shooting. It was 36 degrees with a weird fog.
I wish I had a few shooting buddies but Washington , DC doesn't allow week day shooters like myself.

anginaprinzmetal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've only shot once at trap (never did skeet or sporting clays), the range I shot at (Clark County here in Las Vegas) only allowed one round loaded at the time which made it kinda slow. Anyway, I have Mosseberg 930 JM for 3gun. Would you guys say it can be use for clays and if so what choke would you recommend?

Mauro

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
One shell at a time is the rules. Sporting clays, skeet, and wooble you use 1,1, 2 . It's not like 3 gun at all. I REALLY want to get in on some 3 gun. The shotgun you are using might not be a "trap and skeet" gun. The rules state the barrel has to be at least 28 or 30 inches in length.
I have an MKA-1919 that I am in the process of tricking out just for 3 gun and I know that isn't allowed at the club I shoot at in Maryland.

Cold Iron

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've only shot once at trap (never did skeet or sporting clays), the range I shot at (Clark County here in Las Vegas) only allowed one round loaded at the time which made it kinda slow. Anyway, I have Mosseberg 930 JM for 3gun. Would you guys say it can be use for clays and if so what choke would you recommend?
When your on an experienced squad shooting trap you hardly have time to eject, load and mount before it is your turn to shoot again. It moves pretty fast but the sitting around waiting to shoot takes forever An auto for trap should have a shell catcher or knockdown pin installed. If you start bouncing hot hulls off the guy to your right or dinging the stock on his $20k P or K gun I can pretty much guarantee you there will be some words exchanged. Trap is a bit different from other clay games in that targets are always rising so a high shooting gun is normally prefered. A high rib and adjustable comb help. And of course the gun that fits you the best is the best one to shoot
smile.gif
Consistant gun mount has more to do with hitting targets than anything else after awhile. Practice mounting will increase your score more than making empties once you get the hang of it.

I use a high rib high POI for all clay sports although I have quite a few others this is my go to shotgun for all clay games.

Mauro

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
NICE SHOTGUN!!!! HOLY ****!!!

Mauro

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I had a miserable day at the club today. It started with wobble. They must have fixed the trap or something the damn clay where flying out of the bunker at moch 1 and if they got any lower to the ground they would have been considered rabbits. Then went to shoot a round of skeet. It was horrifying. The interesting thing is I still left happy. If I do poorly in MMA I beat myself up. If I do poorly in gold I beat myself up. I don't do that with shooting, maybe this is the sport I should be in?

Cold Iron

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Mauro that is why we keep coming back to shoot
smile.gif
I call those low wobble birds "worm burners".

Just remember (unfortunately) no matter how bad you shoot that you have yet to shoot your worst round. And as soon as you think it couldn't happen it will. Then other days the birds seem to be the size of trash can lids and seems like you can't miss. It is a strange sport indeed....

I consider skeet mental masturbation, it is bubble gum for my mind and relaxing for me. If I don't walk up to 8 with 3 shells left I'm pissed at myself for not running them. But every once in awhile I end up shooting in the teens and wondering who stole my gun out of the safe while I was sleeping and replaced it with something foreign.

I hope you make smoke balls out of them all- and if you don't keep it fun!

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
After extensive reading and pricing think I've settled on the new .920 barrel and trigger group I will be buying in the new year. Both will be Kidd and the trigger group will just be a single stage group in silver. I was able to try someone's Kidd two stage a few weeks ago at the range and wow was it a light pull. I'm going to go with the single stage because I'm cheap and I'm not a match shooter. I've read extensively on the barrels and it seems the consensus is that any difference between Kidd and Vorquartsen is very minute and we're talking about 50% of the price for Vorquartsen.

Gun show first weekend of January and I'll be starting my hunt. Ambidextrous stock (I shoot left due to my eyes), Kidd 18" bead blasted .920 barrel, and Kidd single stage trigger group. All I'll have left stock is the receiver and bolt. Sort of kicking around replacing those eventually and basically reassembling my original carbine just for shytes and giggles.

Last edited:

Mauro

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I would never buy anything at a gun show unless I was trading something. Prices are absurd. Should got me for your SS but Edina fucked that up pretty good.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score

I would never buy anything at a gun show unless I was trading something. Prices are absurd. Should got me for your SS but Edina fucked that up pretty good.

I've never been to a gun show but have heard ammo is expensive there. I figure there's a bunch of people hitting Walmart every morning at 7am and reselling it at these gun shows for triple the price. Have to say I would probably grab a few bricks just for ease of acquisition.

Part of why I'm going is I hope to see IRL a few of the stocks I'm thinking of. I always wonder about fit and finish from a webpage.

suited

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I bought a handgun at a gun show and it was priced right, but the seller was a store with a local presence and 8 locations in the state.

anginaprinzmetal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My experience w gun shows has been. Firearms at ridiculous prices for the most part, ammo hit or miss and the only advantage is the possibility to see and may be score some old gun at a reasonable price (not cheap though).

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Why I don't go to gun shows: I am not into overpriced guns, Indian junk jewelry, books on how to kill with piano wire, Nazi paraphernalia, "Kill 'em all, let God sort 'em out" T-shirts, Lucite block paperweights with real rattlesnake heads embedded in them and secret chili-powder formulae. And I won't even talk about most of the attendees!

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Ack! Okay, you guys have scared me off the gun show idea.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Consider Sustainability When Purchasing Clothes?

• Always - Sustainability is a top priority in all my clothing purchases.

• Often - I frequently consider sustainability, but it isn't the main factor in my decisions.

• Rarely - I seldom consider sustainability when purchasing clothes.

• Never - Sustainability is not a factor I consider in my clothing choices.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Niotyer