• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gucci and Prada shoes

shoes22

Reaction score
How do these shoes compare quality wise to EG, Lobbs, Barker Blacks or even Allen Edmonds for that matter?

I have never worn EG or Lobb but have worn the others and have been quite happy with them. Are Gucci and Prada shoes worth the price or are you solely paying for the name in their shoes?

Morris

Reaction score
Lobb, EG = brand name earned from exquisite design and shoe quality resulting in premium price.

Gucci, Prada = brand name earned from high quality handbags, accessories resulting in premium price. Shoe quality is average IMHO.

heavyd

Reaction score
i wore ae's excusively for many years recrafted, etc. now virtually all my shoes are gucci or prada as they are more comfortable and generally more versitile as you can dress down but still apear fashionable. still i only buy them on bluefly and would never pay retail. my prada suede loafers are collection and top quality. linea rosa line less so. all my guccis have worn well and i would not say they are at all poor in quality. matter of taste and style. i cannot afford the retail higher end shoes dicussed here even at half price
wink.gif

Morris

Reaction score
Originally Posted by heavyd
i wore ae's excusively for many years recrafted, etc. now virtually all my shoes are gucci or prada as they are more comfortable and generally more versitile as you can dress down but still apear fashionable. still i only buy them on bluefly and would never pay retail. my prada suede loafers are collection and top quality. linea rosa line less so. all my guccis have worn well and i would not say they are at all poor in quality. matter of taste and style. i cannot afford the retail higher end shoes dicussed here even at half price
wink.gif

You raise a great point. The value proposition is certainly a factor. If you are able to purchase Gucci, Prada, etc. at a reasonable/discount price then while the quality remains the same, you certainly improve your situation from a value standpoint.

thinman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have seen Prada shoes that, while overpriced, appear very well-made, e.g. welted, channeled soles. Does anyone know who makes Prada-branded shoes?

johnapril

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Fake welting. Fake channeling.

SGladwell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by johnapril
Fake welting. Fake channeling.

That's what I have seen on Prada shoes, as well as Gucci shoes from the late Tom Ford era. Pity, because some of the designs have been quite nice. (Not that it stopped me from purchasing a pair of Gucci driving mocs, though nobody expects driving mocs to last forever anyway.)

However, some older Gucci shoes were decently made. I have a pair of suede Gucci loafers that were an HS graduation gift, and over a decade of wear has proven them to be Blake-stitched.

norcaltransplant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Gucci Shoes = Sergio Rossi
The quality of Gucci shoes appears to be on par or better than most designer offerings. They generally use full calfskin uppers and avoid corrected grain. Blake construction is the norm. I rarely find Gucci shoes at more than 60% off retail prices.

Prada
Definitely favors more contemporary styling than the English or even Gucci. Quality varies signficantly. I ran into a tasteful pair of jodphurs at the last To Boot sample sale discounted to $199 from $545(??) that were tempting. Alternatively, I've come across styles in BROWN patent leather that look like complete crap.

If we were going to make comparisons based strictly on quality, with Allen Edmonds as a standard 100, I would rate Gucci around 100-110ish and Prada varying between 70-100. Compared to other Italian brands, Gravati at 105-110 and Mantellassi 110+

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
a good reasonable scale above. actually i would rate AE on par with gucci if i am not regarding sleek style.

i have over 5 pair of guccis and all of them are very comfortable and have worn well, as opposed to what i hear from prada and how they wear after several wears.

all my guccis do not have any bad creasing and the leathers used , as noted above, i have to say is very good, on most models.

the comfort is very good as well. i have measured my shoes by how long i can walk at the mall or park without any discomfort and i put them more comfortable than my AEs actually. sorry Jan and teacher. but a point less than santoni.

I do recommend getting a good styled shoe by gucci if you get them at their half yearly sales at mostly 40% off. most shoes sell between 250-299 at the sales and at that price is a very good value.

i can get gucci shoes at certain times of the year from a particular place at around 150 dollars each and at that price is definitely a steal.

s0upb0ne

Reaction score
I have a pair of brown suede gucci driving mocs that I brought two years ago that wear with linen pants that I am thoughly satisfied with that I brought for ~160 at the Barney's Warehouse sale. I also have the prerequiste(sic) bit gucci loafer that have served me well also. I dont know if at full price they are great value, but they are very comfortable.

And I know..."if they are not Ed. Green or John Lobb they are garbage" posts are coming to this thread.

luk-cha

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
prada have a 30% hold in churchs and i have heard that in recent year they are also responcible for product also for jil sander too

earthdragon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have been wearing both for about 5 years.
Gucci wear better than the Prada. Don't discount Tod's either - very well made.
If you can find them at an outlet = great value.

The False Prophet

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I adore my Gucci shoes. I have a pair of black horsebit loafers (not the moccasin-like sort, but proper leather sole and heel) which have been my go-to shoe for more than two years now. I need to reheel them, but only because I have a peculiar gait which wears away one corner. Otherwise, with frequent polishing they have held up incredibly well.

If I'm taking a short trip out of town, and don't need to do any serious business, these are usually all I'll take. They go with jeans and suits, and they're comfortable enough for lots of walking.

I approve!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Staff online

Forum statistics