• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • The Uniform/LA Lennon Loose Fit jeans drop is now live! Check out both the light Palms and dark Lithium Both are made from premium Japanese right hand 3x1 denim in the USA,. Uniform/LA is know for premium materials and meticulous pattern making. Support a small business built on quality and integrity.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gravati and Martegani

tom288

Reaction score
Im looking at these on Francos, how are they as far as quality, what are they comparable to? How do sizes run, say to a Ferragamo?

pkincy

Reaction score
I only have one pair of Gravati and it seems to fit much like my EGs. And a slight bit tighter than my JLs and Mantellassis.

Perry

demeis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dont' have much experience with Gravati other than a quick once over. But with Martegani i do have much experience. I own two pairs and will be adding more over time. They run long, about 1/2 to a full size, i have a narrow foot and had to downsize a full size from a usual 10C in grensons to a 9 in marteganis. They do have a long and narrow toe box so i got a pretty good fit. They are blake/rapid stiched and are of good construction. I think that taking retail prices into consideration and forgetting the usual bargain mention they are a great buy for the price and i would highly recommend them.

Heres some more info on the company, They apprently don't spend money on advertising which keeps the price down.

http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=3585&page=3

Plus Ron Rider who is the sales rep for the shoes is a great guy and he posts on the forum, i know he was and think he still is affiliated with Francos.

tom288

Reaction score
So, the approximate 400 dollars off of Francos is a worthy price for them? And if i typically wear a 10D, although I can wear a 9.5EE in Feragammos, I should probably look at a 9.5, maybe a 9?

demeis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would recommend the 9, unless you have a wide foot. Then stick with the 10. Francos (Ron) when i bought my first pair was very helpfull. Didn't size down and was very good about getting me the right size. I say the price is worth that. If you like the shoe its a great shoe for the price, I'm not a sale shopper, if i find a sale i buy but idon't base my other buys off of it. If you like the shoe and don't have a problem spending i say go for it. They are worth it. Which ones are you getting?

tom288

Reaction score
Well my foot is wide, the 9.5EE fits better just because of the width, I think I get away with the D because of the extra size in a 10, so I might get a 10 from them and go from there. As far as which ones Im torn, basically I want a pair I can mix in with suits. Here are the ones Im looking at, although Im not sure about color on some of them as far as going with a suit:

http://www.francos.com/items/item.asp?sku5=97953

http://www.francos.com/items/item.asp?sku5=93975

http://www.francos.com/items/item.asp?sku5=84004

http://www.francos.com/items/item.asp?sku5=29184

I think the color of the second pair would probably work the best with Navy etc...what do you think?

jcusey

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Martegani sizing varies depending on last. I only have experience with two lasts: the 46 and the 3B last. The 3B runs long, and you should probably size down a half a size (eg, I wear 9.5 in 3B but a 10 in most American shoes). The 46 is more normally-sized.

There is also some variation in Gravati last sizing (the 640 runs a little big), but not nearly as much as Martegani. For the lasts that are generally found in the US, your standard US size would probably work.

Gravati and Martegani make some of the best Blake and Blake/Rapid shoes available. They are excellent options for mid-priced Italian shoes.

Baron

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
To echo jcusey, I have experience with the 46 and the 3E lasts, and both run fairly true to size. The 3E is a slight bit elongated, but not as much as the 3B.

I'm sure you can get a lot of help from the staff if you call or email the store.

Omega Man

Reaction score
I wear American 9D and I went 1/2 size down in the 3B last. It was recommended by Ron. Ron is a good person to deal with.

designprofessor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I 'll put in the positive endorsement for Martegani.
I have two pairs, both on their 3B last. I ordered my normal size 9D and also tried going down a half size, didn't work.

I've had all good experiences working with Ron on both orders.

marc237

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wear both Gravati and Martegani. Both are very well made, mid-range Italian shoes. I have gotten excellent deals on Gravati on ebay because they are lesser known. Marteganis rarely appear on ebay. And Ron is to shoes what Jon is to ties.

knittieguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Are Ron and Francos the only sources for Martegani in the US? And do they ever go on sale?

Featured Sponsor

With US Luxury Spending Down 11%, Have You Also Cut Back?

• Yes, I’ve reduced my luxury spending.

• No, my luxury spending has stayed the same.

• No, I’ve actually increased my luxury spending.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jmar