• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

GRAIL! GRAIL! GRAIL! STUNNING Turnbull & Asser Trenchcoat! c. 42, 44. ALL OFFERS VERY WELCOME!

Status
Not open for further replies.

tweedydon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
THIS IS ABSOLUTELY STUNNING!

SOLD​

TAtrenchcoat005.jpg

This is absolutely beautiful. I own an iconic all-cotton Burberry trenchcoat, and it pales it comparison to this beauty from Turnbull & Asser... The Turnbull is in a different league entirely; better built, better materials, more features, and an absolutely stunning colour combination of a very dark khaki shell and a fantastic scarlet lining, beautifully embroidered with the Turnbull $ Asser logo.

Without overselling at all, this is easily the most beautiful trenchcoat I've ever seen. It's also one of the most beautiful coats I've ever seen, period--and I've seen and owned (in passing!) some stunning coats in my time, including an all-cashmere overcoat from Poole, covert coats from Huntsman, and a gorgeous vintage Vicuna.

The shell of this coat is a beautiful dark khaki, the sort that has an almost olive tinge in certain lights. I've only seen this colour in all-cotton Burberrys before, and in my view it's the best colour for a traditional trench, being extremely versatile and also far more forgiving of the minor mars and scrapes all coats pick up in everydayw ear than the lighter khaki that most trenches come in. (Judging by my grandfather's Burberry that he used to visit the lines after gassing and subsequent threat of being invalided back to home led to his promotion to a Staff position in the First War, this is probably closer to the original colour of the First war trenchcoats, too.) The lining of the coat is scarlet for the lower three-quarters, and a slightly lighter raspberry red for the shoulder lining.

There is no fabric content on this coat. Comparing it to by all-cotton Burberry, though, it appears to be all-cotton--and not the flimsy cotton that even Burberry uses now, but the heavier type of material that older (better!) Burberrys were made from. The lower three-quarters of the lining is clearly wool; the upper quarter in the shoulders is either silk or bemberg. Note how well-designed this coat is; the wool lining for warmth, with the shoulder lining being lighter, for ease of donning and doffing the coat. The wrist buckles and the belt buckle are, of course, leather.

This coat has all of the features that you'd expect from a trenchcoat, and more. The belt features brass D-rings and sewn-grommeted buckle holes. The buckles are all leather. The single back vent features a back button to keep it in place. All of the seams are double-stitched for strength. The back features the standard trenchcoat cape, except that this one has the additional features of extra seams sewn in vertically at the bottom so that it retains its shape. There is a brass throat fastening for closure at the neck, and a lambchop throat latch concealed under the collar. It has, of course, a gun flap. The two front pockets are both double pockets--that is, there is one pocket that can be reached from the outside, and this is twinned with a pocket flush with it that can be reached from the inside. (Burberrys do not have this feature, having one single pocket reached by the interior and exterior pocket entries.) The pockets appear to be lined in cotton duck. The external flaps of the pockets are not sewn fixed, but are buttoned at the top and bottom, allowing you easier access for bulkier items, or more closure for smaller ones. (Again, a very nice design feature that Burberrys lack.) Naturally, this features epaulettes and fully adjustable wrist closures. The belt and the colar have both been quintuple stitched for strength, and so they retain their shape. The T&A logo is embroidered in white on the scarlet wool lining.

This really is a stunning coat.​

And it's in excellent condition! It has clearly been very, very carefully cared for. There are no marks at all to the lining; the white of the logo is pristine. The leather of the belt buckle is in superb condition, with no patina at all; this is the same for the leather of the left wrist buckle. The right wrist buckle has a tiny, almost unnoticeable amount of patina on one edge. All of the D-rings are intact and complete. There is no twisting of the belt. The shell has no marks, mars, or stains at all. This isn't in pristine condition, as it has clearly been carefully worn, but it's certainly in absolutely excellent condition.

How much would this cost new? Well, it's far better quality even that the best contemporary Burberrys, in my view, and they're now far north of four figures. This would fetch more, as it's rarer, more beautiful, and better constructed. So, how much for this? Well, my rule of thumb in pricing things like this has always been simple: What price would I (as an impecunious junior academic) be more than happy to pay to secure the item in question? This way, I can be pretty sure that others would be happy to pay more, and so my pricing would be more than fair. So, how about $275, boxed, shipped, and insured, for this beautiful trench? This would place it far cheaper than comparable Burberry coats--and, in all honesty, you're not likely ever to see a coat like this again at this price--maybe not ever!

Of course, as always, LOWER OFFERS ARE VERY WELCOME, including lowballs. So please do PM me with offers if you'd like this!

This is tagged a 44R, and measures:

Chest: 24 1/2
Sleeve (along underside of sleeve seam, from armpit to cuff): 17 1/5
Length: 46 1/2

Attachments

• T&Atrenchcoat 005.JPG
    T&Atrenchcoat 005.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 11
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 94 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads