• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

graduation present

baker

Reaction score
Im graduating highschool at the end of this week and many of my family members are looking to buy me a present instead of just giving me money. I dont need new jeans, and i really cant think of many things around $500 that Im really too interested in. My questions is whether or not there is or are some very nice items that every man should have that I might not want to buy myself later on, and that i could get out of the way with this? I was looking at a cartier wallet that I had originally seen on this board but I feel like the money could be better spent so Im pretty torn right now all ideas are welcome.

ghulkhan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I agree. I wouldnt spend it on a wallet..... Id buy a bag instead. Messenger bag

apocalypse later

Reaction score
Call me cheap, call me tasteless, but buying any bag or wallet for over $200 seems idiotic to me. Form follows function people. A $20 wallet versus a $500 wallet will carry the same function.

Just take the money or something. Put it towards a laptop for college.

ghulkhan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

ghulkhan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by apocalypse later
Call me cheap, call me tasteless, but buying any bag or wallet for over $200 seems idiotic to me. Form follows function people. A $20 wallet versus a $500 wallet will carry the same function.

Just take the money or something. Put it towards a laptop for college.

well you can certainly take your philosophy to everything then....

why buy a brioni suit when you can buy one from jc pennys. it serves the same function right? why do some buy a bmw when they can buy a toyota?
and whats the point of having a ferrari when you can have a similar performing car in some ways for half the price?? or why do you buy john lobbs when you can buy johnston and murphys or why buy even that..you can go to payless

its the luxury factor
some people have an interest in nicer things. you cant get the same quality crap for 20 dollars...so when you say its idiotic, I think that you truly do not understand.

apocalypse later

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ghulkhan
well you can certainly take your philosophy to everything then....

why buy a brioni suit when you can buy one from jc pennys. it serves the same function right? why do some buy a bmw when they can buy a toyota?
and whats the point of having a ferrari when you can have a similar performing car in some ways for half the price?? or why do you buy john lobbs when you can buy johnston and murphys or why buy even that..you can go to payless

its the luxury factor
some people have an interest in nicer things. you cant get the same quality crap for 20 dollars...so when you say its idiotic, I think that you truly do not understand.

Alright, you got me with the suit analogy. I realize that it might be necessary for someone to drop 1K+ on a watch or 500+ on a bag.

But think about a high school graduate. With (presumably) college next, do you honestly think that a $500 leather bag will be necessary when he will be needing money for a computer, or most obviously tuition? That's my thought. I'm his age, and I wouldn't dream of dropping more than $50 for a wallet, so maybe that's simply my bias.

But as I said, I understand where you're coming from.

ghulkhan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
yea but thats his choice and his situation might not be the general situation

he was looking at a cartier wallet that would cost around that range and so i assume he wanted to spend that much. its a gift. a 500 dollar payment towards a computer or tuition (stuff you are going to be probably getting any way, doesnt seem like it should be part of the gift)

IDK, it depends on person to person and if he was looking at wallets im sure he wants something mor then a check to help out with tuition

ghulkhan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^ damn I love that bag

I wanted to get that but at 720 it was just ridiculous. Its on sale for 500 and I would but im broke as ****

Go Surface

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like the messenger more than the tote.^

The tote is a little too unstructured looking for me. But then again, I'd have to go to Atlantic City to see it in person, and really judge. Anyway, ew at the idea of going to AC.

ghulkhan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
yea I like the tote more then that other bag. If I had 500 laying aruond id get it right now....

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads