1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

graduation present

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by baker, Jun 18, 2007.

1. chronoaug

chronoaug Senior member

You can go vintage with a watch. I'm a sucker for 60s and early 70s bulova accutrons. Good ones will cost you almost $1000, but i've seen some pretty nice ones for less. Lot of scammers out there though those, but i'm just lucky to have my grandpa's that he bought in 69.

2. ghulkhan

ghulkhan Senior member

Personally I'm of the opinion that spending $500 on a watch is a waste of money, but I'm sort of an elitist in that way. The cheapest watch that I think would have a "timeless" characteristic and could be used later in life instead of being discarded is probably in the $1500-2k range.

exactly

dont waste 500 dollars on a shitty watch

get the messenger from saddle back

3. gamelan

gamelan Senior member

a watch is a great idea and you can find some damn good ones for $500. i like this Archimede for $495:

[​IMG]

picked up one of these as a Father's Day gift for my pops. $275 at filson.com but i got it for $250 at www.dungarees.net.

[​IMG]

-Jeff

4. tljenkin

tljenkin Senior member

You're going to college? Are you sure that you don't need a pair of 45 RPMs or Samurai jeans? You also need a good hoodie. I wore a hoodie and Samurais every day of winter, and I loved it.

With the money, I suggest:

45 RPM Sorahikos
    AA Hoodie
    Vans
    AA Shirts
    White slim-fit Brooks Brother's non-iron shirt

You're pretty much done with all of your basics after that.

5. Edward Appleby

Edward Appleby Senior member

Fuck all this man get a 360 and make yourself more popular.

6. tljenkin

tljenkin Senior member

I didn't know a single person in college who was the least bit more popular for having a 360. The opposit, in fact. It distracts you from your studies, as well.

7. Eason

Eason Senior member

well you can certainly take your philosophy to everything then....

why buy a brioni suit when you can buy one from jc pennys. it serves the same function right? why do some buy a bmw when they can buy a toyota?
    and whats the point of having a ferrari when you can have a similar performing car in some ways for half the price?? or why do you buy john lobbs when you can buy johnston and murphys or why buy even that..you can go to payless

its the luxury factor
    some people have an interest in nicer things. you cant get the same quality crap for 20 dollars...so when you say its idiotic, I think that you truly do not understand.

Yeah but this kid is graduating highschool. How many D-bags with tasteless and expensive designer gear bought with their parents money does the world need? Not one more.

8. baker

baker Member

I just ordered a pair of sugarcane okinawas as another graduation present but yeah a good hoodie is a pretty good idea. I still dont understand what makes hoodies like wings and horns stand out so much. I have several AA hoodies and they are doing well. I already have watches even though they aren't very nice they were free (i work at swatch, flame away) but yeah the bag im really not feeling too much just becuase they are so expensive and i would rarely use one. In terms of the 360 I would only get one for guitar hero but i think that would only make me more of a loser.

9. ghulkhan

ghulkhan Senior member

Yeah but this kid is graduating highschool. How many D-bags with tasteless and expensive designer gear bought with their parents money does the world need? Not one more.
    its a gift man so stfu and also: I did not tell him to buy a designer cartier wallet. I suggested a saddle back messenger. If you think thats a luxury douchebag sort of thing to carry around then I have no clue what youre thinking

10. ghulkhan

ghulkhan Senior member

I just ordered a pair of sugarcane okinawas as another graduation present but yeah a good hoodie is a pretty good idea. I still dont understand what makes hoodies like wings and horns stand out so much. I have several AA hoodies and they are doing well. I already have watches even though they aren't very nice they were free (i work at swatch, flame away) but yeah the bag im really not feeling too much just becuase they are so expensive and i would rarely use one. In terms of the 360 I would only get one for guitar hero but i think that would only make me more of a loser.

They are very good quality hoodies. Other then that there is nothing really to them. I wouldnt buy a watch. I dont think 500 dollars buys a timeless watch as drizzt said. If you want to invest in a watch, you should buy one that will last a long time and 500 dollars is one that simply never will. If you dont need a bag then dont buy one. Just buy whatever you WANT. Its a gift and gifts are for things other then needs. If you WANT to put the money towards something you need, then go ahead. Otherwise just splurge on something.

11. chronoaug

chronoaug Senior member

W&H hoodies are worth it based on construction, fit and aesthetics which are all top notch. Check out Krell's Speckled hoodie if you feel the need to keep it under $100.

I don't know how much you'd use it, but a Thick as Thieves suit can be had for under $500. I only have a year left in college and i haven't been in a situation to wear a suit though.

A really nice pair of shoes? Paul Smith laceups or the Neil Barrett boots are nice if you're into those kinds of things. I'd most certainly consider if i was offered a similarly priced present for my college graduation next year, but i don't know about them for the high school grad.

12. ghulkhan

ghulkhan Senior member

I wouldnt buy the suit. I mean I dont know maybe hes going to be interning where he needs one but Ive been in college for three years and I have not needed a suit yet for a school related event. I went to a couple weddings and thats about it.

Paul Smith brogues would be awesome

13. Joffrey

Joffrey Senior member

If you're going to college it's really silly to spend $500 on a bag. Well only if you arent rich enough to drop that kind of money regularly. I'd spend the money on a combination of things.

Look at the Buy sell forum, there are nice shoes that come up. Pick up a pair of Chelseas/ankle boots (periodically pop up from $280-300) and then mess around with the rest.

A $500 bag is pretty ghey (though i'd buy one of those bottega bags if I had the spare benjamins to drop)

14. robbie

robbie Senior member

use it to pay for tuition or books, both are expensive yet valuable investments.

15. chronoaug

chronoaug Senior member

Fuck that. Scholarships pay for that noise. If you're given a "gift", you may as well splurge. I say get the saddleback bag or a bunch of decent stuff(w&h hoodie, nice jeans, some good shoes, some shirts, etc....)

16. robbie

robbie Senior member

"Fuck that. Scholarships pay for that noise."

I suppose, I would just rather not have loans or take on any un-necessary debt. Especially when people are throwing such a large ammount of money at me. 500$ is a lot, I could get a messenger bag, wallet, AND a watch and probably still have atleast 350-400$ left.

What do I know though.

17. London

London Senior member

I'd buy a nice trench coat

18. drizzt3117

drizzt3117 Senior member

I think people's point is that if they want to buy him something rather than giving him the cash, that it should be an item for him to enjoy/use that may be usable for some time.

19. ghulkhan

ghulkhan Senior member

I think people's point is that if they want to buy him something rather than giving him the cash, that it should be an item for him to enjoy/use that may be usable for some time.

exactly
    its a damn gift, I dont think anyone wants to give him a check for tuition

20. chronoaug

chronoaug Senior member

Here's the thing This is supposed to be a gift from his parents. First of all, who knows if his parents are going to help him out in college or not. Even if they're not, you must live a boring life if you'd rather people just pay off your debt and give you cash to put in your rent/utlities/groceries fund instead of ever getting gifts. His parents are trying to do a nice thing by giving him $500 to get a present, not to pay for a month's rent. While still the same monetary amount, a month's rent is hardly a memorable present. This isn't the forum for people who want to go through life getting a pair of walmart levis, hanes tees and cross trainers on the cheap to be comfortable/practical.