• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Graduating - Need Help!

TJhambone09

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm graduating college in about a week and I start a new job at a CPA firm in a little less than a month. There is no "dress code," although generally we wear suits, because we could have to run to a client at any time. Accordingly, I need to build up a better wardrobe.

My sizes are: 18.5/36 shirt, 44 regular jacket, 38/32 pants. I have one Roberto Villini black suit that I bought for interviews. As the busy season is coming up, I need some pieces that are going to be comfortable to be in for 10-12 hours a day. I also tend to prefer thinner shirts because I get hot easily.

I'm looking to spend around $300 per suit and I would like them to last three to four years (if this is unrealistic, let me know, as I'm new to this!). I just need something to get me started while I have limited funds and other things to worry about. I'd like to get three or four depending on the price.

I would also like to pick up about 10 shirts, and I'd like to stay around $30 per shirt. Again, I'd prefer thin and comfortable, point collar. I don't really care about the cuff. A cotton blend would be nice to help with the wrinkles.

I have been searching on this and other forums for a few weeks, and the only answers that I've found basically say to go for the $100 shirts and $1000 suits. If that is the truth, fine, but I can't tell if these recommendations fit well for my situation and context, which is why I'm asking on my own. I have a bunch of department stores at my disposal, and I have plenty of time left to go online to buy. Please help!

Thanks,
TJ

oroy38

Reaction score
What's your total budget? If you're just starting out, you really only need 2 suits: Solid Navy and Charcoal/Medium Grey. As far as shirts go, you could even get away with 5-7 shirts.

By reducing the number of things you "need" you can afford to spend more on each and get quality items, and you certainly don't want to skimp out on footwear.

Given what i've just said, adapt your total budget and set aside a hefty chunk for a set of black captoe balmorals (AE Park Avenue is a good place to start).

TJhambone09

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. I'd say my budget is around $1,200 - $1,500, but the cheaper the better. I'm not going to be buying any shoes, I already have a few pairs and I'm not about to destroy a pair of expensive shoes when winter has just begun (I'm from Syracuse NY - enough said about winter). When the summer rolls around, I'll look for new shoes.

You might be right about the suits; however, I will definitely need more than 5-7 shirts. I will be working 6 days a week, 10-12 hours a day, and studying for the CPA exam on top of it all. Hence, less time for laundry. I'd rather wear a cheaper clean shirt than an expensive dirty one.

After poking around a bit more, I found some encouraging reviews for the Jos A Bank Signature line of suits...nowhere near great, but will work fine for everyday wear around an office and will last a few years with care. Any thoughts?

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Signature Gold line is better than Signature. You might be able to find a better deal online for that than you could in a store. Also, you should soon retire the black suit from business usage, and you probably should budget a few hundred dollars for tailoring (unless you buy those items in a menswear store). Pure cotton will keep you more comfortable than a blend; "wrinkle-resistant" cotton is close enough to pure, and the better an item fits, the less it will wrinkle. What else would you like to know?

viator

Reaction score
Originally Posted by TJhambone09
You might be right about the suits; however, I will definitely need more than 5-7 shirts. I will be working 6 days a week, 10-12 hours a day, and studying for the CPA exam on top of it all. Hence, less time for laundry. I'd rather wear a cheaper clean shirt than an expensive dirty one.
At the sale price, I find Tyrwhitt shirts to be a good value.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 99 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 96 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 11.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads