• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Got into FIT

GiltEdge

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I go accepted into FIT for Textile Development and Marketing. I am pretty sure that I am going to chose them over Parsons, Pratt and Purchase. I just feel that this program is going to lead me in the direction I want to. I think the other schools with the programs I applied are going to put me onto the fine arts path. So does anyone have any advice for someone who will be one of the few straight guys there. I am from Long Island and know the city well, so it is not like I need to be warned about NYC. Any personal stories about the school, people I might want to inquire about for a job or internship...

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Everyone I know at FIT is either a Thai girl, a Korean girl, a guido girl, or a gay guy. I've banged most of them too. YEAH U READ DAT RIGHT. YEAH EVEN THAT PART.

GiltEdge

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd like to think that the girls that just got in because they could draw well will eventually transfer out when they learn Ed Hardy and uggs are not fashion.

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MetroStyles
Everyone I know at FIT is either a Thai girl, a Korean girl, a guido girl, or a gay guy. I've banged most of them too. YEAH U READ DAT RIGHT. YEAH EVEN THAT PART.
See Conne, that's how you admit it... right there, in all caps. Too bad metrostyles lacks something you do: balls. Paolo: Congrats!
smile.gif

kiengian86

Reaction score
I'm a high school senior currently looking at schools for fashion merchandising. I must say, after sitting through the information session at FIT a week or so ago, I did not find the appeal to be as strong as it was before for me. Something felt really impersonal about the presentation. Most of the video was about design majors and other hands on majors, except for the part about the fmm majors and their boutique.

GiltEdge

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well it is a massive school. What I have learned from those in the fashion industry is that regardless of what people may say about FIT, it is a major hub. All types of people go there, whether they will creat timeless fashions or revolutionize the industry, created trash for trash, or found the next major store. Many people pass through FIT, they have so many programs and despite what people say their professors are in the industry, many are famous and successful. Some companies actually make their staff go to FIT to take courses for additional knowledge. Yeah the "fmm" as you call it, from say Parsons looks great, even though you have spent 250K in 4 years, but FIT may be where you end up studying a specific area. Also I would look at FIT's International Business/trading (I don't remember the name, its rather long), it sounds like a program for someone that really wants to go far in merchandising, the average "fmm" doesn't go on making 500K a year at Bloomingdales.

HEWSINATOR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by PaoloM
Also I would look at FIT's International Business/trading (I don't remember the name, its rather long), it sounds like a program for someone that really wants to go far in merchandising, the average "fmm" doesn't go on making 500K a year at Bloomingdales.

I would have assumed that a business/commerce degree would be necessary for this, not a fashion school pseudo business degree/diploma (what do you get awarded?). I guess this is my ignorance. Up here, we don't really have schools like this I know of, that are not associated (right or wrong) with substandard education academically, if not a pure trade school.

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
wait til you meet professor kunk
devil.gif

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by imageWIS
See Conne, that's how you admit it... right there, in all caps. Too bad metrostyles lacks something you do: balls. Paolo: Congrats!
smile.gif

Please stop stalking me. I don't want to be a part of your perverted fantasies.

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
teaching there next semester.

Originally Posted by imageWIS
Confused, please explain.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads