• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Good wedding Groom's Ascot

brummel

Reaction score
Both glen plaid ties look to be excellent choices to me, whether they are "wedding ties" or not, or if such a thing even exists. As for choosing a wool tie, it would certainly be unorthodox. Wool is inherently less formal than silk and so would seem incongruous with an otherwise formal outfit. I wouldn't do it, but then I don't wear many woolen ties anyway. You obviously like them, and if you have an elegant one, maybe cashmere, I wouldn't dismiss it out of hand. The example you show looks to be a nice piece. Given the midwinter nature of the nuptuals and a snowy background, I think it could add a nice personal touch.

My strategy was to buy a different "wedding tie" for each groomsman and then pick my favourite. I chose a woven silver and black number.

Mens' style has progressed beyond aping the latest heir to the throne, but when it comes to formal day wear the aristocracy still set the standard. That picture of the Duke, not surprisingly, shows exactly how it should be done. Any deviation from that template should be carefully considered, even 70 years later. I would however recommend that you smile in your wedding photos, although considering what he gave up for that marriage it's understandable.

Congratulations, by the way.

mjHession

Reaction score
I think after all this talk im leaning towards the FIH now, thou that is very hard for me since for the past few months up untill this thread the ascot was told to me to be the proper wear for the morning coat. But I do want to look good and right so maybe the FIH is the way to go.

For the sake of education;
Originally Posted by Sator
It lacks the proper structure to tie a clean knot. Hence, it's not an Ascot.

Is this a formal ascot? If not could you please post a pic of one?
Originally Posted by mjHession
Any comments on this cravat:
il_430xN.88494173.jpg

Thanks for time and help in this matter. And to everyone else as well. Any more thoughts of comments keep em coming

mjHession

Reaction score
Originally Posted by brummel
Wool is inherently less formal than silk and so would seem incongruous with an otherwise formal outfit. I wouldn't do it, but then I don't wear many woolen ties anyway. You obviously like them, and if you have an elegant one, maybe cashmere, I wouldn't dismiss it out of hand...

I like this idea, for some reason never thought of cashmere, Question redefined as what about wearing a cashmere FIH in glen plaid or some b/w check? Would cashmere be considered more formal then wool, or just nicer?

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
I would not wear a wool tie to a wedding, even as a guest. Stick with silk, guys.

LeonM

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mjHession
Actually the coat I have is from http://www.clermontdirect.com (this was the only real afforable option for me) The rest (pants shirt waistcoat) is coming from pakeman, didn't specifiy that detail.
Ok. I understand the monetary issues. But, I would have suggested you stick with one firm for coat and waistcoat just so they sit right together in terms of how much waistcoat is on show above the lapels of the coat and below the slope away of the quarters. Of course there is no guarantee that Pakeman gets this right. Hackett waistcoats to me (SB ones) seem too long for their coats. Leon ps: I am with Manton. Silk.

floatinjoe

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sator
These aren't Ascots - they are day cravats.

Any American site that tries to sell you an "Ascot" is actually selling you a day cravat, which is not an Ascot/dress cravat. It's a bit like asking for the bathroom in the UK only to find yourself in the bathroom with a bathtub and shower - but no toilet.

Ascots/dress cravats can only be found as vintage items. If you asked around some bespoke tiemakers maybe, just maybe someone might be able to make one for you. However, an English tiemaker who knows you are American will probably assume that by an Ascot you mean a day cravat in American English and proceed to make you that instead of an Ascot.

Sator,

Can you post an image of what an Ascot and a Dress Cravat looks like untied? This would allow some of us to know what we are looking for as we search through vintage items. I would like on for my wedding next year, but am not entirely sure what I'm looking for. Also, do you know where one could get a pattern for one? This might allow some to have one bespoke.

Mike

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^For that matter, could Sator or some other sartorially knowledgeable personage explain the difference between a dress ascot and the "puff ties" sold to Old West costume enthusiasts that I linked earlier in the thread? They seem very similar if not identical to my untutored eye.

Robes of Executiveness

Reaction score
From a post Sator made earlier alluding to the fact period ascots had some sort of stiffening cotton or other type of material lining the inside. these images were taken from Jeeves and Wooster. In one of them you can see how the ascot sitcks out while slightly bent over, very stiff and flar, as if it's hardened silk, not the fluffy willowy unlined silk scarfs they call ascots now adays. Also in the center you can see how flat and even the knot is. It's difficult if not impossible to get that kind of appearance with the ascots sold today.

But one thing appears to be wrong in these photos. The neckband on the ascot is too tall. Another point I mentioned in a post on this subject in another thread where Sator gave dimensions for making a proper ascot. The neckband should be 1". Any taller and it will interfere with the wing spread at the bottom of the V around the neck, and diminish the height effect of the collar, and look sloppy because it is pushed down slightly as you can see in the photo of him sideways. There was another photo showing this crumple effect while he's looking in the mirror but I didn't include it. I think the dimensions listed in the article Sator posted was the band is 3", which I assume will be folded during construction, but that would make it 1.5", which is too tall.

floatinjoe

Reaction score
Do you have a link for that post? I tried to search for it, but the search function isn't working for me. I'd like to learn about this.

Mike

LeonM

Reaction score
Originally Posted by JLibourel
If a turndown collar and a regular necktie were good enough for HRH Prince Charles..., that probably tells us something.

Saw these snaps in today's Torygraph:

carriage-charles-c_1511256i.jpg

chalres-camilla_1511249i.jpg

I wish I could in all conscience link to some dreadful photos of wedding get-up i have seen on Facebook. Including recently the father of the bride, wearing a wing collar and an "ascot".

Leon

floatinjoe

Reaction score
In looking at the illustration in that post, I have a question regarding the shape of the Ascot. Is it a uniform width from end to end, or is there a different width through the middle? Also, if it is a uniform width, does it get folded in half when you wrap it around your neck?

Mike

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads