• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

good value watch for under $300

0b5cur1ty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by AntonioG
0b5cur1ty,

Could you recommend additional high quality/high-end quartz, thx.

With pleasure (though I claim no great expertise in the field). If you're looking around the OP's budget then a Seiko with an 8F series high-frequency movement is probably your best bet: In addition to the SBCM023 diver and SBQK079 I already referred to, there is the SBQJ015 with a GMT version of the 8F. All of these are ridiculous bargains IMHO.

Higher-end (more expensive) stuff includes the Grand Seiko models with the 9F series movements - these are accurate to within 10 seconds a year (5 seconds for a special edition version) and the movement itself is built as a hermetically-sealed unit designed to run without servicing for 50 years. Citizen produce their iconic 'The Citizen' model (also known as the Chronomaster) containing the A660 movement that is rated as accurate to within 5 seconds per year. On the Swiss side of the border, Breitling fit many watches with ETA 'thermoline' thermocompensated movements that are accurate to within 15 seconds a year according to Breitling (but apparently 10 sec per year is normal).

If you're interested in vintage, then you could also look at a Seiko 'twin quartz' model, in which movements were used with two quartz crystals, correcting each other, a Longines VHP or the Rolex Oysterquartz that used an early form of thermocompensation to achieve high accuracy.

AntonioG

Reaction score
^Thanks. I just got a vintage Hamilton, can't wait to get it. I will be on the lookout for those you recommended.

Metlin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Willsw
Metlin, I suggest you buy your rubber wellies now, and give up all those nice shoes. Automatics are better because movements are beautiful.
Non sequitur, senor. If a shoe serves its function and looks good, I will buy it. The same goes for the watch.
Originally Posted by whacked
some people just don't understand watches.
And I agree with you -- to me, a watch is primarily a time piece, and unless a feature is utilitarian (to me), it is merely icing.
Oh, and once you get bored with your quartz pieces (like some inevitably do), good luck with selling them anywhere near the percentage of original price accessible to mechanical watch owners.
Well, see, I don't quite look at it that way. To me, a decent watch will last a lifetime, and if it dies after the beating I give it, I will simply throw it away. Until such time, there is no reason to stop wearing it, is there? I mean, if I am only spending $100 or so on a watch, and if it lasts even a couple of years, I've more than had my return of investment. If I am concerned about my ROI, I put my money elsewhere.
smile.gif
Originally Posted by gdl203
metlin and obscurity - I have nothing against quartz watches if your budget is really low and all you're looking for is the time keeping functionality of a watch.
And to your point, I have nothing against mechanical ones, either. My only disagreement is that there may be other functionality in a watch that you would like, that a mechanical could never provide reliably. And it would be pointless to add that functionality at a higher price point when it could be provided much more easily through an alternative technology.
If one is interested in watches and the way they are made, the way they work, there is no good reason to spend more than $50 on a quartz watch IMO.
Now, this is where I would beg to differ. I have some watches that may not be as expensive as a Panerai or a Rolex, but they offer me additional functionality that are very useful to me. I'm a very outdoorsy person, and I do a lot of climbing and mountaineering. I've several Suuntos that have a circuit in them that offer me all I need, and have certainly take a beating (anything that can withstand being scratched by rock, falling ice, and being buried under snow at 20,000 feet and STILL function without a problem for years on end is good enough in my book). My job also requires a lot of travel, so I like watches where I can keep track of multiple time zones without bothering to change the time manually every time. These are utilitarian features that are provided more reliably by a quartz or a digital watch than a mechanical one. And to me, it is the utilitarian factor that is most important.
What fascinates me in watches is how they work and the fact that with a few wounds of a spring, it actually can keep nearly perfect time. You don't have to share my passion, but this is how I feel.
And that's fine -- I wasn't necessarily passing any judgment on your choices; my apologies if it came across as that. In my book, I wouldn't mind looking at something like that in a museum, or having it in my library as a curiosity. In real life, I would rather have something that serves a function that I have the need for, and can take the beating that I give it (be they airports or the mountains).
I'm more interested in a mechanical watch that can keep time at +/- 3 seconds a day on the sole basis of a mainspring and a few wheels, than in a watch than can keep time at +/- 1 second a week because it is driven by an electronic circuit (or an atomic clock). I have absolutely zero interest in the latter. If all I need is time, it's everywhere around me. Watches are just more than simply time keeping for me - it is how they keep time that interest me.
I guess I look at watches as tools that serve a specific function. Sure, you can have cellphone to look at your time, but to me, a wristwatch is a simple, elegant tool that can provide a multitude of functionality. Besides, I can't very well carry my phone when I'm hanging off a rock face.
wink.gif

ths

Reaction score
G-shocks are good for banging about... i have one that is still running after 15 years.

Dropped it from a 3 story building (i did it on a dare - yes i admit it, i was dumb).
Got hit a couple of times during fencing..
fight[1].gif
i think of it as my mini shield, one corner of it got sandpapered away from a bike slide.. and its still keeping accurate time.

Although the watch face is very worn and scratched...

Lucky people in certain countries even get atomic time keeping.

alflauren

Reaction score
FYI, Overstock has 10% off watches today. They seem to do that every once in a while. At $300, I would definitely go with a mechanical, preferably a Seiko or Hamilton. My Seiko "Pepsi" has been my daily wear watch for a very long time.

Girardian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd vote for a vintage Omega Seamaster that has been recently serviced.

Or, I'd say up your budget to expand your options. A good watch will be worn daily for years, and on a "cost per use" basis is one of the least expensive sartorial items you'll ever buy.

I have a singular goal with a watch purchase: something I'd be happy wearing for at least 5-10 years. So far, it's worked ... like clockwork.

brimley

Reaction score
Any power tips for aviator style watches in this price range (or even a little higher, maybe to 5 bills?) My favorite is the Glycine Incursore (straight A Harris WYWT style) like this:

3762-99-LB9.jpg

Looking for automatic, black face, silver case, black band (leather, nylon) and white (not green) markings. The Glycine tips the scale at about $800 and the one above is a manual. I feel like I should be able to get most of the way there with a Poljot or some other Russian. Here is a cheap alternative in the ballpark:

http://www.rugift.com/watches/poljot...05-6975645.htm
3105-6973645.jpg

Anybody have any recs?

RyJ Maduro

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Another similar question, I have found many vintage omegas (not in perfect condition) for under $100 on ebay. Should I be suspicious? Or should I bite if the seller has a high feedback rating and the sellers page seems good?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads