• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Good tailors in the bay area

chocsosa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I know this has been discussed before but I'm really searching for a great tailor in the bay area. I am having serious pitch issues on a jacket recently purchased and I want to resolve the issue. Its a canvassed jacket so I already know that the person working on my jacket is really going to have to know what they are doing (in terms of knowing how to make a suit). A lot of the tailors that I called will either not work on a jacket from outside of what they make and others don't feel comfortable taking out the sleeve and rotating the sleeve head on a canvassed jacket. Are there any tailors that you know have personally used before for this process that you can recommend. Thanks guys!

chocsosa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
and also in the big scheme of things if you have jacket that fits every where but has sleeve pitch issues that are moderate.. would you go ahead and get it fixed or leave as is..I see a lot of pics on tumblr blogs where 70% of the pics it looks like there is some form of sleeve pitch issues happening. I dont want to nit pick especially on a rtw jacket but just wondering what the general idea is..

david3558

Reaction score
It depends how much you want to spend - when did you want to get some stuff tailored? I am about to drop some stuff off at a new tailor in Saratoga, (new to me) I'll let you know how it goes.

chocsosa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It depends how much you want to spend - when did you want to get some stuff tailored? I am about to drop some stuff off at a new tailor in Saratoga, (new to me) I'll let you know how it goes.

As soon as possible. I can drive up this friday..yea please let me know how that goes. Ask them about resolving sleeve pitch issues and how much that will cost. As long as its within $80-$120 then I dont mind

USAF - 1

Reaction score
Go to Manuel's Custom Tailoring on Stevens Creek by Valley Fair. He is a great traditional tailor, I've been going to him for years.

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My tailor is Bob Stankovic in Menlo Park

650-323-9614

I have been recommending him for years. Other SF members concur.
He was formerly the outside tailor for Wilkes Bashford, Palo Alto.
He's done complicated work for me, for example shoulder padding
reduction, with uniform success. He is a perfectionist. Last week
I saw a Henry Poole (Savile Row) sport coat in his shop for alterations.
He's also a very charming guy.
One caveat: unless you impress him with the urgency of a project, he tends
to be a little late.

Nonchalant

Reaction score
I've used Bob S. for over a year as well. He has never failed to deliver what I requested and he has never balked at what the request was. I've had a variety of work done so I feel very comfortable making this referral.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Staff online

Forum statistics