• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Good suits for under $1000?

leftover_salmon

Reaction score
I'm a college sophomore and I'm going to need a suit (my current suit is ill-fitting since it was bought three years ago and I've put on weight) for the finance interviews that I hope to have in January/February. I'd like something that isn't overly modern, nor slim-fitting (I'm 5'7 and 165 lbs.). I know nothing about quality suits in this price range, and was wondering if you guys could help out. Thanks.

Note: I go to school in Philly, so anything in NY is accessible.

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
If you do a search for "interview suit" "cheap suit" you'll get a ton of threads but I quick general rec. would be: Brooks Brothers Golden Fleece on sale. You should have a BB store within driving distance, you can try the suit on, on sale GF ($500-700) is a great value as it is a very well made suit and in terms of interviewing for a finance job, i doubt there are any other brands that have as much experience as Brooks Brothers.

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yep, I agree with kb on this one. If you hit Filene's or Century 21 you're bound to find something that fits the bill. I once bought a plain navy Isaia suit at C21 for something like $800 and plain navy is supposed to never go on sale. If you keep your eyes open, you should be able to score.

Also, there are a lot of Isaia and Corneliani available on Sierra Trading Post in that price range - but that might be a little risky if you don't know your size yet.

The_Foxx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would recommend finding out your size in Corneliani and Isaia (by visiting a local Saks or Neiman Marcus, etc.) and then checking for your size (they are usually listed by european sizes, i.e. 52 = 42reg) on www.sierratradingpost.com

I've found this to be one of the best online resources for sale priced suits online, and their return police (returned unaltered of course) is good I've heard. I believe the corneliani is sale priced at around 800-900, and sometimes you can find an isaia for just under 1000.

Russ

gvibes

Reaction score
Originally Posted by The_Foxx
I've found this to be one of the best online resources for sale priced suits online, and their return police (returned unaltered of course) is good I've heard. I believe the corneliani is sale priced at around 800-900, and sometimes you can find an isaia for just under 1000.
I returned a couple of suits there without incident.

Also, there are always 20% coupons floating around.

Teacher

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by edmorel
If you do a search for "interview suit" "cheap suit" you'll get a ton of threads but I quick general rec. would be: Brooks Brothers Golden Fleece on sale. You should have a BB store within driving distance, you can try the suit on, on sale GF ($500-700) is a great value as it is a very well made suit and in terms of interviewing for a finance job, i doubt there are any other brands that have as much experience as Brooks Brothers.

Seconded.

I would also say that you should buy the very best you can afford right now. That does not mean, however, that you need the very finest suit in the world at this moment. Remember the law of diminishing returns.

A Canuker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just recieved a Isaia from Lance at www.virtualclotheshores.com and I could not be anymore pleased with it. Fantastic deal compared to the sales at my local shops. Granted you have to know your size and such but its much much better then what I could have purchased for the same dollar size.

Like others have said you have to look around before shopping on the net but that is where most of the better deals are.

jekv12

Reaction score
In NE Philadelphia, Franklin Mills has a Last Call and Off 5th. There's a Rack in King of Prussia. I haven't seen a BB branch that compared to the main store at 346 Madison, but the one on Walnut street is a lot closer than NY. There's also a BB in the mall at KoP, but I think Walnut Street has more selection.

Hey - what's the story with sales tax on clothing in NY? In Pennsylvania, there's no sales tax on clothing, except, I think on luxury items, defined as furs, formal wear, etc.

jekv12

Reaction score
Those were the nationally known stores. I've seen another post or two that Philadelphia's Distante, in a new location, are moving away from, well, urban/edgy clothing to something more traditional - I read they were carrying Samuelsohn - which has a good rep on the boards.

If you can handle some sales pressure (practice for the interview ?) Boyd's in Philadelphia does have a big selection and lots of brands. So you can go there to get an idea of size.

leftover_salmon

Reaction score
Originally Posted by jekv12
If you can handle some sales pressure (practice for the interview ?) Boyd's in Philadelphia does have a big selection and lots of brands. So you can go there to get an idea of size.

Boyd's is great, but isn't it a little expensive?

A Canuker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
whoops, was typing that rather late at night.

The_Foxx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
by any chance, are you a 42reg (or thereabouts?) just curious....hoping someone from the forum ends up with this suit, which I think is killer:

http://cgi.ebay.com/AUTHENTIC-GIANLU...QQcmdZViewItem

not my auction or anything, i'm just newly a fan of isaia suits and sportcoats.

TheHoff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by The_Foxx
by any chance, are you a 42reg (or thereabouts?) just curious....hoping someone from the forum ends up with this suit, which I think is killer:

teacha.gif

IT IS BESPOKE, WHICH MEANS THAT YOU HAVE TO GET THE CUFF BUTTONS SEWN ON MY A TAILOR.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads