• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Good stuff in unexpected places

GraphicNovelty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So, I was thinking of starting an "Unexpectedly good mall brand" thread, but I figured this would generate more discussion, less
ffffuuuu.gif
from the forum regulars . So, where have you found stuff that's surprisingly good? I for one have had great luck with target's house brand Mossimo. A ton of their stuff is "Athletic fit" (read: really fitted), and they come in a lot of not-terrible styles (plaid flannels, snap-button western shirts, etc.) and their size smalls fit me perfectly. It's like H&M but more American and better quality. Anyone else find good stuff at places they wouldn't ever expect?

Marcus Brody

Reaction score
I have a number of plain pima cotton t shirts that I bought super discounted at Armani Exchange and they are probably my favorite t's I own fabric wise.

I have one chunky, Sean John cardigan that my mom bought me at Ross one time that I really like.

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I find the Stafford heavyweight 100% cotton undershirts to be a good value. They also come in tall sizes, which is necessary for me. They've come out with a "performance" line, which is a blend and is total crap, but the 100% cotton is still nice.

deveandepot1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Target does have decent stuff. The Converse line is pretty slim.

Robert

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Last weekend: All-cashmere tan overcoat for $7 in a thrift shop. My size, with a fit like it was tailored for me.

deveandepot1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Robert
Last weekend: All-cashmere tan overcoat for $7 in a thrift shop. My size, with a fit like it was tailored for me.

Thrift shop or vintage clothing store.
Every thrift shop I visit has nothing great.

mlyngard

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by deveandepot1
Thrift shop or vintage clothing store. Every thrift shop I visit has nothing great.
You need to thrift in Philadelphia. Old Money and a drought of trendiness makes for great vintage finds. That said, thrift stored are unpredictable, so I never hunt there with a purpose, but always keep a list of vague needs in mind, like a good '60s wool blazer. I've found H&M has become my go-to place for **** like light cotton casual shirts, t-shirts, scarves. They need to re-inventory more than once every six months though. I'd kill for a Uniqlo here. JCrew continues to impress for basics like sweaters, but still too $$ until the sales come up. Our Macys is a treasure trove of eternal sales. If I wore Hilfiger, Polo, or hundreds of cotton sweaters, I'd be in heaven. Otherwise, ya have to be picky. I turn to the internet for buys now. Philly, like many mid-tier cities, has too many of the predictable stuff (BRep, 6 Gaps, Barneys, Jos. Banks). What we do have are small boutiques that target the next level stuff (like our own version of BlackbirdBallard).

Robert

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by deveandepot1
Thrift shop or vintage clothing store.
Every thrift shop I visit has nothing great.

Believe it or not--thrift shop. This girl from work dragged me around to about 20 of them last weekend, mostly just thrift, not vintage. 98 percent ****, of course, but if you have the patience and time, you can find some gems, e.g., this coat. Vintage store quality, nothing wrong with it, needs to be dry cleaned so it can look more pressed, but other than that perfect. Says Made in Austria on the label.

Thrift shopping that day also got me a land's end forest green shawl collar cardigan, a heavy J. Crew cotton knit v-neck, a Harris Tweed blazer, an LL Bean zip up shetland wool cardi, and an old old McGregor's wool/mohair cardi. Probably didn't spend more than 40 bucks all told.

TheDroog

Reaction score
I once found a terrific-looking, slim fit Canterbury of New Zealand rugby for $15 in Urban Outfitter's sale rack, sandwiched between layers of ugly BDG cardigans. I immediately thought "WTF is this doing here?!"

__CB__

Reaction score
Originally Posted by GraphicNovelty
I for one have had great luck with target's house brand Mossimo.

Is Mossimo really owned by Target now? Many, many years ago it was more a skate/surf streetwear brand, used to wear that **** back in school.

jarude

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Waiting for jet to come in here and **** on this

For me, employee discount at BR means I get 50% off at BR and Gap. Good source of cheap basics, and now and again something nice will pop up

bows1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jarude
Waiting for jet to come in here and **** on this

For me, employee discount at BR means I get 50% off at BR and Gap. Good source of cheap basics, and now and again something nice will pop up

Like the deals going on right now. I just got a decent pair of black captoes for 18$ inc tax. On sale from 140$

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 99 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 96 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 11.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads