• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Good sports Jacket to wear with Jeans

Abstrakt

Reaction score
I need to get a sports jacket to wear out in the evenings to clubs, bars, lounges etc (don't have one in my closet at present). Generally, I'm looking for something I can wear with a pair of slightly faded jeans over a fitted shirt -- a striped shirt by Paul Smith or something of that ilk. I'd like to have the option of wearing it over a T-Shirt too. Wondering if anyone has any suggestions as to colors, materials, number of buttons / vents, and places to get one (I'm in NYC). I've done a bit of shopping, but haven't found anything that seems great as yet. I've noticed a lot of places selling totally unstructured, baggy jackets, and there also seems to be a trend to make cheaper jackets in acetate and other less conventional materials.

Anyway, any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kitonbrioni
I might suggest an unlined suede or leather zipper jacket, e.g.,

From the left--
Gucci suede
Prada smooth leather
Brioni pin-point suede
Malo suede
Brunello Cucinelli suede vest
http://whatareyouwearingtoday.blogspot.com/

Isn't there a danger of shirt discoloration from an unlined leather jacket?

kitonbrioni

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by j
Isn't there a danger of shirt discoloration from an unlined leather jacket?
I often wear them with white Hanro t-shirts or with thin light colored cashmere or merino sweater/polos. After years of wearing these jackets, no problems with quality Italian leather and suedes. http://whatareyouwearingtoday.blogspot.com/

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I often wear them with white Hanro t-shirts or with thin light colored cashmere or merino sweater/polos. After years of wearing these jackets, no problems with quality Italian leather and suedes.

I've had problems with staining(from skin oils) the collars of suede/leather shirts/jackets when I've worn them with a collarless shirt. In fact, I once had a jacket, by Zilli, that came with two collars for just this reason.

poorsod

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I might suggest an unlined suede or leather zipper jacket, e.g.,

From the left--
Gucci suede
Prada smooth leather
Brioni pin-point suede
Malo suede
Brunello Cucinelli suede vest

Yes I agree. I have a brown partly line suede jacket I like to wear with jeans. Unfortunately its getting to hot to wear suede jackets.

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For that type of evening social, solid navy or black (yes, black) would be most versatile. Probably not pure linen, silk, seersucker (not a solid anyway), or anything else that would be seasonally limited in most climates, and not in a style that would look right in an office or at a funeral.

Vents, lapel width, buttons, and so forth depend on your physical characteristics, though more than three buttons is taboo. Double-breasted is not recommended.

Honestly, you'll have to say more about your appearance and personal preferences to get very focused advice.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I finally finished altering the sleeves on a very slim 3-button black worsted wool jacket from the 60s, with narrow lapels and short center vent, and wore it last night with my APCs. It looked great.

I highly suggest something similar. I wouldn't wear navy with dark denim, though it's fine with faded jeans. Tan, camel, sand, khaki, black, brown, etc. Almost any color.

The texture and pattern are IMO the most important thing to look for here. You want at least semi-dull texture (limited sheen) and some amount of weight to the fabric. Tweed is a no-brainer, velvet is great, corduroy, flannels work, dull worsted works. For patterns, look for checks, plaids, herringbones, windowpanes, solids - basically no stripes. Avoid anything that obviously looks like part of a suit.

CoryB

Reaction score
Originally Posted by j
For patterns, look for checks, plaids, herringbones, windowpanes, solids - basically no stripes. Avoid anything that obviously looks like part of a suit.

I second that. I saw a guy wearing a black casual pant and pinstriped jacket. It look very odd and careless.

I think fit is important. I think casual coats should be substantially more fitted than more dress sport coats. Get a slim coat with lots of waist suppression. If you follow j's advice of "don't wear anything that could be part fo a suit" you can't go wrong.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads