1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 8: A Bespoke Coat from David Reeves

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 6th auction of the year is for a Bespoke Coat from David Reeves. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Good sports Jacket to wear with Jeans

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Abstrakt, Jun 1, 2006.

1. Abstrakt

Abstrakt New Member

I need to get a sports jacket to wear out in the evenings to clubs, bars, lounges etc (don't have one in my closet at present). Generally, I'm looking for something I can wear with a pair of slightly faded jeans over a fitted shirt -- a striped shirt by Paul Smith or something of that ilk. I'd like to have the option of wearing it over a T-Shirt too. Wondering if anyone has any suggestions as to colors, materials, number of buttons / vents, and places to get one (I'm in NYC). I've done a bit of shopping, but haven't found anything that seems great as yet. I've noticed a lot of places selling totally unstructured, baggy jackets, and there also seems to be a trend to make cheaper jackets in acetate and other less conventional materials.

Anyway, any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks

2. thinman

thinman Distinguished Member

3. kitonbrioni

kitonbrioni Distinguished Member

I might suggest an unlined suede or leather zipper jacket, e.g.,
    [​IMG]
    From the left--
    Gucci suede
    Prada smooth leather
    Brioni pin-point suede
    Malo suede
    Brunello Cucinelli suede vest
    http://whatareyouwearingtoday.blogspot.com/

4. j

j (stands for Jerk) Admin

[​IMG]
    From the left--
    Gucci suede
    Prada smooth leather
    Brioni pin-point suede
    Malo suede

Isn't there a danger of shirt discoloration from an unlined leather jacket?

5. kitonbrioni

kitonbrioni Distinguished Member

Isn't there a danger of shirt discoloration from an unlined leather jacket?
    I often wear them with white Hanro t-shirts or with thin light colored cashmere or merino sweater/polos. After years of wearing these jackets, no problems with quality Italian leather and suedes. http://whatareyouwearingtoday.blogspot.com/

6. Tomasso

Tomasso Distinguished Member

I often wear them with white Hanro t-shirts or with thin light colored cashmere or merino sweater/polos. After years of wearing these jackets, no problems with quality Italian leather and suedes.

I've had problems with staining(from skin oils) the collars of suede/leather shirts/jackets when I've worn them with a collarless shirt. In fact, I once had a jacket, by Zilli, that came with two collars for just this reason.

7. poorsod

poorsod Distinguished Member

From the left--
    Gucci suede
    Prada smooth leather
    Brioni pin-point suede
    Malo suede

Yes I agree. I have a brown partly line suede jacket I like to wear with jeans. Unfortunately its getting to hot to wear suede jackets.

8. mensimageconsultant

mensimageconsultant Distinguished Member

For that type of evening social, solid navy or black (yes, black) would be most versatile. Probably not pure linen, silk, seersucker (not a solid anyway), or anything else that would be seasonally limited in most climates, and not in a style that would look right in an office or at a funeral.

Vents, lapel width, buttons, and so forth depend on your physical characteristics, though more than three buttons is taboo. Double-breasted is not recommended.

Honestly, you'll have to say more about your appearance and personal preferences to get very focused advice.

9. j

j (stands for Jerk) Admin

I finally finished altering the sleeves on a very slim 3-button black worsted wool jacket from the 60s, with narrow lapels and short center vent, and wore it last night with my APCs. It looked great.

I highly suggest something similar. I wouldn't wear navy with dark denim, though it's fine with faded jeans. Tan, camel, sand, khaki, black, brown, etc. Almost any color.

The texture and pattern are IMO the most important thing to look for here. You want at least semi-dull texture (limited sheen) and some amount of weight to the fabric. Tweed is a no-brainer, velvet is great, corduroy, flannels work, dull worsted works. For patterns, look for checks, plaids, herringbones, windowpanes, solids - basically no stripes. Avoid anything that obviously looks like part of a suit.

10. CoryB

CoryB Senior Member

For patterns, look for checks, plaids, herringbones, windowpanes, solids - basically no stripes. Avoid anything that obviously looks like part of a suit.

I second that. I saw a guy wearing a black casual pant and pinstriped jacket. It look very odd and careless.

I think fit is important. I think casual coats should be substantially more fitted than more dress sport coats. Get a slim coat with lots of waist suppression. If you follow j's advice of "don't wear anything that could be part fo a suit" you can't go wrong.