• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Good quality basic color t-shirts?

VACPA

Reaction score
I'm a minimalist type of guy who favors solid-colored t-shirts (It's ok, I'm an accountant). Anyhow, my shirts are getting old and I need to replace them. What companies make good plain shirts that will last a long time?

Fit is also important - structurally, I have narrower shoulders, but I lift, so they're filled out. I seem to be in between M and L. The former is too tight, while the latter will be baggy around the waist. I don't suppose there are any athletic cut t-shirts out there?

farooqm

Reaction score
Club monaco has nice cheap t-shirts that are decent quality and a bit stretchy with a decent athletic cut. If you want them real cheap check out the outlets that have them for like $10, same t-shirts as in the regular stores.

sonick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Check out GAP as well. I love their Athletic fit tees (and I'm quite skinny, finding well-fitting clothes is tough). Very soft cotton, not too thin (much better than basic Fruit of the Loom tees).

cmrocks

Reaction score
American Apparel. Their sizes run a bit smaller so a Large will probably fit you perfectly.

Pete

Reaction score
Originally Posted by whoopee
Try Alternative Apparel instead of American.

how do these shirt fit? are they comparable to anything. I am typically a small.

Brian SD

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Pete
how do these shirt fit? are they comparable to anything. I am typically a small.

They're a bit roomier than American and quite a bit softer. The problem with Alt is that they don't make smalls in most of their shirt styles.

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
H&M aren't great quality but their basic tees are cheap and not too bad. I got some for 5 euros a pop when I was in Germany.

Reaction score
SIR, while the fit of AA is beyond reproach, there have been issues with the construction. My take is that for $6-9 a pop (see eBay or forum user TheGrapist), I can afford not to care about replacing a tshirt after 18 months. The vertical shrinkage is something to note, however.

BioSore

Reaction score
Originally Posted by forum consensus poster
SIR, while the fit of AA is beyond reproach .... The vertical shrinkage is something to note, however.

Alright, what would you say is the vertical shrinkage? I tend to wear smalls because I'm rather skinny (5'10 at 145-150 lbs). Would the smalls probably shrink too much for me to make use of them? I've been in need of t-shirts for a while, so I'm thinking about getting some blank t's from American Apparel and then 3 or so shirts from Threadless when there's a sale... Hopefully they'll have some good graphics.

Brian SD

Reaction score
Originally Posted by BioSore
Alright, what would you say is the vertical shrinkage? I tend to wear smalls because I'm rather skinny (5'10 at 145-150 lbs). Would the smalls probably shrink too much for me to make use of them? I've been in need of t-shirts for a while, so I'm thinking about getting some blank t's from American Apparel and then 3 or so shirts from Threadless when there's a sale... Hopefully they'll have some good graphics.

I'm 6' and have no problem with AA length. I wouldn't worry about it at 5'10. The only problem could be if you wear your pants super low.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads