Good quality basic color t-shirts?

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by VACPA, Jun 20, 2006.

1. VACPA

VACPA Member

I'm a minimalist type of guy who favors solid-colored t-shirts (It's ok, I'm an accountant). Anyhow, my shirts are getting old and I need to replace them. What companies make good plain shirts that will last a long time?

Fit is also important - structurally, I have narrower shoulders, but I lift, so they're filled out. I seem to be in between M and L. The former is too tight, while the latter will be baggy around the waist. I don't suppose there are any athletic cut t-shirts out there?

2. farooqm

farooqm Senior member

Club monaco has nice cheap t-shirts that are decent quality and a bit stretchy with a decent athletic cut. If you want them real cheap check out the outlets that have them for like $10, same t-shirts as in the regular stores.

3. sonick

sonick Senior member

Check out GAP as well. I love their Athletic fit tees (and I'm quite skinny, finding well-fitting clothes is tough). Very soft cotton, not too thin (much better than basic Fruit of the Loom tees).

4. cmrocks

cmrocks Senior member

American Apparel. Their sizes run a bit smaller so a Large will probably fit you perfectly.

5. whoopee

whoopee Senior member

Try Alternative Apparel instead of American.

6. Pete

Pete Active Member

Try Alternative Apparel instead of American.

how do these shirt fit? are they comparable to anything. I am typically a small.

7. Brian SD

Brian SD Moderator

how do these shirt fit? are they comparable to anything. I am typically a small.

They're a bit roomier than American and quite a bit softer. The problem with Alt is that they don't make smalls in most of their shirt styles.

8. imageWIS

imageWIS Senior member

Check out GAP as well. I love their Athletic fit tees (and I'm quite skinny, finding well-fitting clothes is tough). Very soft cotton, not too thin (much better than basic Fruit of the Loom tees).

I second GAP as well.

Jon.

9. MetroStyles

MetroStyles Senior member

H&M aren't great quality but their basic tees are cheap and not too bad. I got some for 5 euros a pop when I was in Germany.

10. forum consensus poster

forum consensus poster New Member

SIR, while the fit of AA is beyond reproach, there have been issues with the construction. My take is that for $6-9 a pop (see eBay or forum user TheGrapist), I can afford not to care about replacing a tshirt after 18 months. The vertical shrinkage is something to note, however.

11. shoreman1782

shoreman1782 Senior member

12. dare-

dare- Senior member

hurrah for the forum consensus

13. BioSore

BioSore Well-Known Member

SIR, while the fit of AA is beyond reproach .... The vertical shrinkage is something to note, however.

Alright, what would you say is the vertical shrinkage? I tend to wear smalls because I'm rather skinny (5'10 at 145-150 lbs). Would the smalls probably shrink too much for me to make use of them? I've been in need of t-shirts for a while, so I'm thinking about getting some blank t's from American Apparel and then 3 or so shirts from Threadless when there's a sale... Hopefully they'll have some good graphics.

14. Brian SD

Brian SD Moderator

Alright, what would you say is the vertical shrinkage? I tend to wear smalls because I'm rather skinny (5'10 at 145-150 lbs). Would the smalls probably shrink too much for me to make use of them? I've been in need of t-shirts for a while, so I'm thinking about getting some blank t's from American Apparel and then 3 or so shirts from Threadless when there's a sale... Hopefully they'll have some good graphics.

I'm 6' and have no problem with AA length. I wouldn't worry about it at 5'10. The only problem could be if you wear your pants super low.

15. PeasantLLC

PeasantLLC Senior member

generra basic tees are great--they also do the contrast stitching on the basic tee.