• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Going to Italy for a week: recommendations?

chorse123

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MrRogers
If you are in Rome, check out Boggi (menswear shop). Reasonably prices items and very classic italian. Similar to what an Italian Brooks brothers would look like.

MrR

Did you get anything at Boggi? I'm looking forward to checking it out when I'm there this fall. The catalog looks great.

MrRogers

Reaction score
I went back to boggi a few times. Quality is not top notch but like I said, similar to what you might find at Brooks. I think most of the shirts were around 45-55 euros. Just make sure to aviod the ones with built in collar stays. Some have them, some do not so check closely. Shirts are all very slim fit. I picked up a few sweaters, one grey and one navy with white pinpoints that is all over their catalog. Suits and sportcoats are reasonably priced and I believe full canvas, though I was not able to converse with the staff well enough to know for sure; Interesting patterns though. Shoes were unremarkable, belts were nice and priced well. Definately worth checking out.

After making my purchases from Boggi in Florence I was in Monaco for a few days and drove into Italy, (san remo) where a new (much larger) Boggi had just opened. Many more offerings, a wider selection of everything.

Good luck

MrR

WN2

Reaction score
Where is the Boggi store located in Rome? Their web site only lists the shop at the airport and Via del Corso c/o Galleria (Opening Sunday) (Which Sunday?), is that the one you visited? I remember checking the site for store info couple of weeks ago and that one wasn't on the list back then.

chorse123

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by WN2
Where is the Boggi store located in Rome? Their web site only lists the shop at the airport and Via del Corso c/o Galleria (Opening Sunday) (Which Sunday?), is that the one you visited? I remember checking the site for store info couple of weeks ago and that one wasn't on the list back then.

According to the site it opened on February 24th.

Aaron

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by chorse123
Did you get anything at Boggi? I'm looking forward to checking it out when I'm there this fall. The catalog looks great.
As stated before Boggi is kind of like an Italian Brooks Bro. I have a pair of suede driving mocs that I absolutely love and bought a linen shirt for my father there. It's not Kiton, but the quality is fairly good for the price and the styling classically Italian. I know there is a store in Rome, I just never went there. The one in Siena is small but the salesmen are great.

A

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I finally booked a hotel (it took forever!), Hotel Cavour, a modest 2-star hotel, located in the heart of Rome about 2 minutes away from Termini. Since I saw my budget escalating to a threshold I didn't want to pass (hotels in Rome are just a rip-off, aren't they?), but I am traveling alone, I decided to stay in the least expensive, well located hotel I could for the money.

And this was it. I actually located at a couple of the better hostels with private rooms, but they actually cost more than this hotel, and while the hostel experience is cool, I can always hit the night-scene and meet people (trance, anyone?).

Jon.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by imageWIS
I finally booked a hotel (it took forever!), Hotel Cavour, a modest 2-star hotel, located in the heart of Rome about 2 minutes away from Termini. Since I saw my budget escalating to a threshold I didn't want to pass (hotels in Rome are just a rip-off, aren't they?), but I am traveling alone, I decided to stay in the least expensive, well located hotel I could for the money.

And this was it. I actually located at a couple of the better hostels with private rooms, but they actually cost more than this hotel, and while the hostel experience is cool, I can always hit the night-scene and meet people (trance, anyone?).

Jon.

I actually can't believe how expensive Rome hotels have become. They are as bad as Paris or London.

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
I actually can't believe how expensive Rome hotels have become. They are as bad as Paris or London.

Tell me about it! Plus with the exchange rate, it makes things even worse! I'm paying 60 Euros per day (x 7 days...) for a 1-bed room with no bath (shared...really, at this point I don't care, it was 25 Euros per day cheaper than the one with bath, and I'd rather spend that on other things, like eating well). At least the location is fantastic and according to reviews it's in the inner courtyard, so rather quiet at night.

Its funny though, there was an offer for a 4-star hotel just outside the outer circle for about $89 a night...but the traveling time and the fact that I've never been to the city before make the other location that much better.

Jon.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
the periferia in Rome is terrible. It is not where you want to stay. Some of the non center-center zones are really nice, but you don't want to break out of the inner ring unless you are longing for zingari.

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
the periferia in Rome is terrible. It is not where you want to stay. Some of the non center-center zones are really nice, but you don't want to break out of the inner ring unless you are longing for zingari.

Any recommendations for things to do or see? Any restaurant recommendations?

Jon.

dkzzzz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What is zingari?

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
yes. go see the old jewish quarter and the ancient temple. also, the main sights are all very worth it other than the Vatican which can be a bit tiresome. don't go to the contemporary art museum. it is horrible. shopping is very good but not any different than any other big European city.

for food it really depends on how much you want to spend. This place:

Hostaria-Pizzeria da Settimio:

Via di Val Tellina, 81

Tel: 06.58.23.07.01

was recently recommended to me by a friend who is a well known cookbook author and is currently in Rome researching a new book. It is a neighborhood restaurant that he says is his favorite in the city. In the same neighborhood there is another he says is great called La Gianicolense. More in the center and slightly more pricy (thogh still reasonable) is La Campana. As long as you stick to Roman specialties it is fantastic. I have not been to the first two, but trust his recommendations 100%.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads