• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

GJ Cleverley Pigskin Leather?

bengal-stripe

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by aportnoy
Bengal, didn't Bic have a pair of derbies made up in a wild boar or pig skin?

Don't know about Bic, but I have a pair of G&G (actually EG bespoke) in pigskin.

I wouldn't pick that leather again. The English pigskin used for shoes is quite stiff a leather, unlike Peccary (which the Italians use for shoes) which is extremely soft and, more or less only suitable for car-shoe type loafers.

I don't think (English) pigskin ages nicely, it has a card-board type feel to it (it doesn't drape well with a soft handle). I think it's a wonderful leather for suit- and briefcases, the classic ones, all square and hard. I have an Asprey (soft) satchel-type bag in pigskin, that one hasn't worn very well either.

Another problem with shoes, you have to be extremely careful not to use to much shoe polish over the vamp creases. It just fills out the pores and when you start walking, the hardened wax, crumbles out.

Well, the leather was my choice, but I wouldn't go for it again.

Eustace Tilley

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Thanks for the info Bengal.

aportnoy

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bengal-stripe
Don't know about Bic, but I have a pair of G&G (actually EG bespoke) in pigskin.

They were yours!! Can you post the photos?

aportnoy

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Here is a picture of the unworn shoes:

EGbespokepigskin.jpg

Yes, those are the one Bengal. I have always admired these.

Thanks for sharing.

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Eustace Tilley
Thanks for the info Bengal.

i would be interested to hear, wyh a laced shoe would ask for a loafer last??? confusing

Eustace Tilley

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by fritzl
i would be interested to hear, wyh a laced shoe would ask for a loafer last??? confusing

Its not a laced shoe - I was going to ask for a pair with the side elastic thingys. Given that the design is technically a slip-on, I presumed (perhaps incorrectly) that a seperate last would be required. Will check.

Eustace Tilley

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
^ Bengal - I really like that pair.
inlove.gif

luk-cha

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I wouldn’t pick that leather again. The English pigskin used for shoes is quite stiff a leather, unlike Peccary (which the Italians use for shoes) which is extremely soft and, more or less only suitable for car-shoe type loafers.

I don’t think (English) pigskin ages nicely, it has a card-board type feel to it (it doesn’t drape well with a soft handle). I think it’s a wonderful leather for suit- and briefcases, the classic ones, all square and hard. I have an Asprey (soft) satchel-type bag in pigskin, that one hasn’t worn very well either.

Another problem with shoes, you have to be extremely careful not to use to much shoe polish over the vamp creases. It just fills out the pores and when you start walking, the hardened wax, crumbles out.

Well, the leather was my choice, but I wouldn’t go for it again.

Here is a picture of the unworn shoes:

EGbespokepigskin.jpg

interesting i had thort about something in the future my self but i am a bit worried by all plain fronted shoes should as these esp in crust leathers are the tend to have that noticable flaking over the creases in the vamp

i must admit i dont use wax on my pig skin i just use saphir creams, but it is like you said is a a stiff leather but i find they wear very close to shell in that sense as mine have soften accross the vamp, but i have some samples of all colors available and the light and very dark browns are stiffer than the medium brown pig skins

ps

great color thro' those PT derbies
bigstar[1].gif

luk-cha

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
ET

before polishing!

Prepolished6.jpg

Prepolished7.jpg

Prepolished3.jpg

post polishing!

postpolish9.jpg

postpolish8.jpg

postpolish4.jpg

Eustace Tilley

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
^ Thank you luk-cha - beautiful shoes!

luk-cha

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Eustace Tilley
^ Thank you luk-cha - beautiful shoes!

looking at the pictures again i might have got them mixed up, but you'll get the ideathey shine but dont gloss bit like shell IMO as are the creases i dont think i would do a plain toed something but with a cap or wing you should be good to go!

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Lazarus thread...

Cleverley's website says that pigskin handles the stress of winter weather better than most. Has anyone tried to cope with slush or salt-strewn streets in these things? Shell cordovan works remarkably well-- if pigskin is in the same league, I might think about getting a black pair for the winter. I now know for a fact that calf can get badly damaged by that stuff. :(

jerrybrowne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Lazarus thread...

Cleverley's website says that pigskin handles the stress of winter weather better than most. Has anyone tried to cope with slush or salt-strewn streets in these things? Shell cordovan works remarkably well-- if pigskin is in the same league, I might think about getting a black pair for the winter. I now know for a fact that calf can get badly damaged by that stuff. :(

It is true, they are weather resistant.. Pigskin is also very unique and patinas in a wonderful manner. However, it is pretty stiff. I've had my loafers (from Cleverley) for quite some time now, and have worn them frequently. They are still stiff.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads