• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Giovanni Gagliano 1935 - 2015

330CK

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
It is with a heavy heart that I am informing the StyleForum community that my good friend and mentor, Giovanni Gagliano, passed away about two weeks ago.

His talent at tailoring was only surpassed by his talent of making you feel like family, whether you’d known him for five minutes or 50 years. He was patient, exacting, and effervescent—his love of life radiated in his demeanor and the clothes which he cut. He was loyal—he and his wife, Angela, had celebrated their 51st wedding anniversary this year. He was a great father—his children’s love for him was evident when I met them at his 80th birthday party just last month. He was a man to admire and imitate.

Though I knew him only a relatively short time, in that time he taught me more than I could have asked him to, both in life and in the art of tailoring. He had myriad stories about his childhood in Catania, apprenticing in a tailor’s shop as a pre-teen, to enlisting in the Italian army, and about the secret New York City after-parties of the 1960s-70s. A typical European housewife, Angela would keep my espresso cup and biscotti dish filled while he reminisced about his life, and their life together.

He worked with me until his last days, not only to help me but because he loved what he did so much that he was happier in the shop than at home. The world would probably be a better place if everyone had a career they loved so much they never wanted to stop practicing it, and were so eager to pass it along to future generations.

I am devastated that he has left this world, but I will never forget him and what he did for me. I hope that, if given the opportunity, anyone reading this will carry on Giovanni’s memory and help foster the coming generations at whatever talent you may possess.

Thank you for reading.

Koala-T

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What a wonderful tribute! I'm so sorry for your loss, but so happy you got to experience and befriend this wonderful person, Giovanni Gagliano..

ericjens7

Reaction score
Sorry for your loss. It was wonderful to read the impact he had in your life and a joy to know that he was able to pass on some of his knowledge and life experience to you

eazye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So sad, and like others have said, I'm glad you had the chance to learn about life and tailoring in the short time you knew him. It sounds like he was a great mentor.

FlorianQC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
R.I.P. I hope you'll continue the fine tradition and shop he started :)

SartodiNapoli

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No idea about but always God takes his glory.

DEP

330CK

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Thank you all for the kind words.

Here's Giovanni in his early days accepting an award

For this suit:

SartodiNapoli

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The last pic shows a perfect suit and trousers.

See as nowadays no one achieves that perfection.

razl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
My sincere condolences on losing such a good friend....

I am devastated that he has left this world, but I will never forget him and what he did for me. I hope that, if given the opportunity, anyone reading this will carry on Giovanni’s memory and help foster the coming generations at whatever talent you may possess.

...and what a wonderful sentiment to pass along in his name.

Here's Giovanni in his early days accepting an award

Now there's a man that can pull off real lapels. And, look closely at him, it's effortless. Me? I'd be all sheepish and self aware; you can tell he's at home in them.

For this suit:

And, wow; spot on. Especially for what looks like the 70s; a time with a lot of crazy, exagerated looks. Clearly, some aspects lean towards the era, but overall it's classic and fit nailed. I can only image how much better he got over the course of his career.

Certainly, a soul to be missed. I wish I could have met him.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Staff online

Forum statistics