Ghurka luggage v. Peal line luggage

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Christofuh, Oct 28, 2009.

1. RSS

RSS Senior member

... The Plaza remains an incomparable brand...

Branding is ruining the world.

2. Christofuh

Christofuh Senior member

I spoke with another dealer concerning the Express model specifically, and she swears the bags continue to be made in CT.
    Leather comes from Italian/Spanish tanneries.
    I'll have to make time to drop by her joint to verify.
    Dealer claims that as far as Ghurka line, most shoppers go for wallet-type purchases.
    Then around Christmas time a wife or three would stop in to pick up the Express bag for their high-rolling hubbies [​IMG]

@PS

I'm feeling that No.2 bag [​IMG]

3. RSS

RSS Senior member

Then around Christmas time a wife or three would stop in to pick up the Express bag for their high-rolling hubbies

I do like the bag ... have one ... but doesn't seem like a "high-rolling" bag to me. If it did ... I woudln't have bought it.

4. Jiff65

Jiff65 Member

I have a rolling Ghurka suitcase that I love. Looks great, and well made.

5. GusW

GusW Senior member Dubiously Honored

I do like the bag ... have one ... but doesn't seem like a "high-rolling" bag to me. If it did ... I woudln't have bought it.

I agree. I always thought the appeal of the Ghurka line was it's masculine, practical, classic British field/military style.

6. GusW

7. JayJay

JayJay Senior member

^^^I like it.

8. bpworks

bpworks Senior member

My Original Ghurka Collection

The following 2 bags are done in charcoal grey twill/tan leather trim Limited Edition (rarely used)

No. 36 the Stowaway\t\tRegistered No:\tI73
    No. 53 the Traveler II \t\tRegistered No:\tI25

The following bags are done in classic Ghurka twill with tan leather trim

No. 2 the Express \t\t\tRegistered No:\tE1498
    No. 5 the Examiner\t\t\tRegistered No: \tH297
    No. 32 the Trekker\t\t\tRegistered No:\tE167
    No. 45 the Valet\t\t\tRegistered No: \tF144
    No.60 the Delegate\t\t\tRegistered No:\tG303

These bags are in good condition, normal use, etc. For any repairs or restoration one might be interested in Ghurka offers the complete service done by some of the original artisans. From totally remaking a bag to replacing the zipper. It can be done as original.

If there is any interest please contact me.

9. ZON_JR

ZON_JR Senior member

"The wholly-owned Ghurka falls under Accessory Network Group's Prestige Brands Division along with licensed brands, Calvin Klein, Tahari, Karl Lagerfeld, Vera Wang Lavender Label, IZOD and Cynthia Rowley."

That's a pretty impressive line-up. Was this article about the Plaza or Penny's?

10. GusW

For any repairs or restoration one might be interested in Ghurka offers the complete service done by some of the original artisans. From totally remaking a bag to replacing the zipper. It can be done as original.

If there is any interest please contact me.

Is this service still available? Years ago when the workshop was in New England, they did amazing repairs. I think I had all new handles put on one case. They did a fabulous job.

11. Christofuh

Christofuh Senior member

Alas, PS was correct [​IMG]
    The rat bastard new proprietors of Ghurka have shifted manufacturing to the People's Republic.
    That was accompanied by neither price reduction nor change in no-mark-downs-unless-floor-sample policy.
    Dealers seem genuinely clueless the luggage is no longer made in New England.
    I had to go thru multiple layers of fabric to reach a tiny made-in-China label sewn deep inside the bag.
    So there you have it, another 4-figure $$$ product brought to you by labor force earning $80/month [​IMG]

12. GusW

They are doing everything possible to avoid people knowing the truth. In fact, the quality of the bags and the leather is not the same.

13. JayJay

JayJay Senior member

They are doing everything possible to avoid people knowing the truth. In fact, the quality of the bags and the leather is not the same.
    [​IMG]

14. lee_44106

lee_44106 Senior member

Straight from the horses' mouth (Ghurka website):

"HOW GHURKA TURNED AN AGE OLD CRAFT INTO MODERN ART

Ghurka's team of expert artisans has refined the centuries old craft of leather making to the point where it is now an art. The artistry of Ghurka begins with the most luxurious materials on earth. The famously supple hand of the leather originates from the most desirable hides. Sourced at tanneries in Italy and Spain, these natural hides are scrupulously inspected to ensure that they're good enough to become Ghurka. Old school artisans and pattern makers then cut and stitch samples at modern workshops in Spain, Italy and the United States. Distinctive Ghurka details are often rendered completely by hand. Bags are lovingly buffed and polished by hand. And each new design is always 'test worn' to ensure that it functions flawlessly.

In the case of Ghurka's Original Collection, every bag is also stamped with the Ghurka crest, bag name and a unique registration number before being released for sale. As a result of this constant attention to quality and detail, it often takes months to ready a new Ghurka bag for sale. But as those "in the know" know, Ghurka is always worth the wait."

So they are lying?

Was made in the US Coach bags/briefcases on par with Made in US Ghurka?

15. AlanC

AlanC Minister of Trad

^"cut and stitch samples", which are then sent to the ChiComs to copy. It's kind of like getting a fake LV or Hermes from China...