• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Getting started (first post)

adamant1988

Reaction score
Hello all! Let me just first say I'm happy to be on the boards with such a knowledgeable group of people. I've got no doubt that you'll be very helpful to me and hopefully I can be very helpful back. That said, I'm looking to not dress like I did in the 6th grade anymore. Which is to say, I'm very tired of this t-shirt and jeans look and I feel like it's time to grow up clothing wise.

I really have no idea where to get started on the quest to, basically, rebuild an entire wardrobe. I know part of a wardrobe is picking what's going to reflect you, and I feel like I do want my wardrobe to be appropriate for a law school environment. Perhaps I might label the look I'm going for as "casual but conservative?" I'm definitely aiming for something more sophisticated than today's guys tend to wear.

I find myself really drawn to the kind of "business" look (particularly that kind of retro 50's look), but that's hardly appropriate for my school setting, and that's probably a bit out of my price range as a college student.

In terms of particular challenges to me, in particular, I'm both short and skinny, and I have a pretty tiny frame (5' 9" 140LBS). In particular I seem to have problems with getting pants at the right size.

So, what should I be looking at? Khakis and button up shirts? Jeans and something else? Polos? I really have no idea what I should even consider and frankly there is so much choice that I'm just paralyzed by the options.

CruzAzul

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Welcome. This comes up a lot, and most people will tell you to watch and observe for a while. My advice is to try and move slowly from your comfort zone, gauge the results, and then expand your palette a bit more. So from jeans and t-shirts, try cords or khakis and polos. Etc. As lame as this may sound, if you find a shop that has the sorts of clothes you think would work for you, take a look at what the models on their site are wearing. (Except Banana Republic, unless you're flamboyantly gay.) These outfits were put together by professional stylists; they should at least work well enough to give you a starting point. Also, check the "streetwear and denim" forum here, which will offer some advice that isn't such a huge leap from what you're used to wearing now. And of course, read my site.
smile.gif

adobe10

Reaction score
strive to be stylish instead of fashionable. stylish is when you have your own style that flatters your facial and bodily features without much consideration on the fashion trends. many books talk about style but here's a book that will quickly give you tips on what's good for you - considering your hair color, your body shape, your built, height, facial features... and gives you tips on how to pick online retailers for clothes. enjoy.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads