• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

getting rid of acne scars. what to use?

ethirtynine

Reaction score
i am using proactive now and i like the way it works. i wanted to order the skin lightening lotion to help reduce my acne scars. unfortunatly they dont carry it anymore. is there something else i can use?

lacoste_alot

Reaction score
bio oil... works really well.... http://www.bio-oil.info (you can get it off of ebay for like $20)

other than that, i highly recommend using a facial moisturizer with an alpha hydroxy acid... i'd say the best thus far that i've ever use is neutrogena healthy skin face lotion spf 15

Stazy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
www.mankind.co.uk carries high-end skin products. You might find something there.

Reggs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Since you're in LA, it would easy to find a place that could give you high concentration AHA masking. I think you get a mask every week for 5 weeks and it's suppose to help a great deal with scaring.

Steer away from brighteners and get a tan though. Much more effective, and less hassle. Depending on where the facial hair is and how boyish you look, facial hair is also an option.

Simon

Reaction score
I've very recently started looking into this as well and have read that products with glycolic acid and microdermabrasion techniques are key in getting rid of acne scars while evening out skin tone. The high end treatments can get pricey though.

I might try some of the lower concentration stuff at first to see if I see any improvements for it (that way it's also a cheaper investment than spending a couple of hundred dollars on the high concentration products).

Jl24

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Simon
I've very recently started looking into this as well and have read that products with glycolic acid and microdermabrasion techniques are key in getting rid of acne scars while evening out skin tone. The high end treatments can get pricey though.

I heard (and I haven't done any research) that washes with glycolic acid will show improvements for a few weeks, but then taper off, and if you stop using it, your face goes back to normal. Did you come across anything like that while researching this?

And what are these high end treatments?

Reggs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
People who use highly cocentrated AHA nightcreams have told me that it's best to gradualy step up the concentration of your products before trying out something like 20-30%. Iv used a 10% night cream before and it was too much to handle.

The masks they give at spas are around 80%(mind you, its only on for face for about 15-20 mins), and you can buy them online. I had a link but its on a different hard drive.

If you want a good face wash, get MenScience

http://www.menessentials.com/oxid.ph...e2614.05612192

tiecollector

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
www.skinbiology.com use the supercop copper peptides. combine that with some exfoliants and needling possibly. this **** made some of my scars fade dramatically and I am not disciplined enough to use it all that regularly.

sartoriallychallenged

Reaction score
I use a gentle yet effective multi hydroxy acid complex twice daily, called Fruition Extra by Estee Lauder (I used to work for EL as a "Beauty Advisor" and got hooked on this stuff because of my gratis every quarter (gratis=free product) but now I have to pay full price, and it's quite pricy ($100 cdn per bottle).

For really bad scarring/discolouration, they also carry a retinol product called "diminish" but you don't want to use it together with Fruition Extra.

As with any retinol or AHA/BHA/muti-HA product, definitely wear a light moisturizer with SPF of atleast 15 and avoid the sun whereever possible. Also, I believe sun exposure (tanning) will make scarring/discolouration more visible (and let's not forget, sun exposure will bring about premature aging)

mia123456789

Reaction score
i used inviCible scars for my acne scars.. it is relatively very effective in scars and spots. It has many benefits but is devoid of any side effects.It’s a great product... my scars vanished in just 3 weeks... glad to have this product. It’s worth paying for it. It is a hypoallergenic acne scar treatment. Since it does not contain common skin irritants like preservatives and fragrances, it is far less likely to cause a break-out than most other acne scar care products do. I’m really very much satisfied by it as it has really shown drastic effects in such sort span of time. Consult the website for more details so that you may have an idea of what scar type you have and how to use it

kimchimonster

Reaction score
I used to have terrible acne scars. A dermatologist recommended using Tretinoin-A to increase skin turnover and a cleanser called Praxion. It works slowly, but my skin has gotten much better in the 7 months that I've been using both. I use the Praxion maybe twice per week and the Tretinoin 3 times per week.

OakCreekHitter

Reaction score

i am using proactive now and i like the way it works. i wanted to order the skin lightening lotion to help reduce my acne scars. unfortunatly they dont carry it anymore. is there something else i can use?

you ever consider doing a series of derma microabrasions?
laser treatments can also help reduce acne scars

desireme

Reaction score
Proactiv ?? Hasn't it been stated harmful ? It contains hydroquinone which cause ochronosis which is not good for us. I'm aiming to try invicible. Have used mederma and bio oil but my scars worsened that's all. If invicible didn't work , i'd probably opt for laser surgery which i so badly want to refrain from

sammy11

Reaction score
Would prefer invicible on laser treatment. It's hypoallergenic and does not even cause breakouts. Why not give it a try. I'll go for invicible first. Going to buy it soon

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Staff online

Forum statistics