• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Getting jacket sleeve length right

TheDarkKnight

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

I have had a new suit's jacket sleeves altered so the length is to the hinge of my wrist - just to the end of my wrist bone (which from my reading is the correct length)

I'm finding it very difficult to get shirt sleeves altered to the right length to fit this though, and remain comfortable (the shirt sleeve pulls on a shirt and feels restrictive on one ive had shortened quite alot).

Currently about 3/4" of shirt sleeve shows now, although these shirt sleeves have been altered too.

Advice please!

How do you get the jacket altered and the shirt sleeves to match so 1/3 inch of shirt cuff shows?

Is about 3/4" cuff showing a disaster, or am I being neurotic
wink.gif
(more cuff showing being fashionable now anyway)

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TheDarkKnight
Hi All,

I have had a new suit's jacket sleeves altered so the length is to the hinge of my wrist - just to the end of my wrist bone (which from my reading is the correct length)

I'm finding it very difficult to get shirt sleeves altered to the right length to fit this though, and remain comfortable (the shirt sleeve pulls on a shirt and feels restrictive on one ive had shortened quite alot).

Currently about 3/4" of shirt sleeve shows now, although these shirt sleeves have been altered too.

Advice please!

How do you get the jacket altered and the shirt sleeves to match so 1/3 inch of shirt cuff shows?

Is about 3/4" cuff showing a disaster, or am I being neurotic
wink.gif
(more cuff showing being fashionable now anyway)

I prefer to have more shirt cuff showing than less, especially since my cuffs tend to shrink over time.

TheDarkKnight

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bird's One View
Snugger fitting shirt cuffs may be the solution. On barrel cuffs you can move the button(s). Double cuffs on existing shirts would need to be replaced.

Excellent idea!

I was thinking this myself as another shirt I have with barrel cuffs has 2 sets of buttons - presumably to allow a watch room

So is this a very simple thing for an alterations tailor to do?

Would a good procedure be to have the shirts reasonably and comfortably shortened and the remainder be taken care of by a tighter barrel cuff?

TheDarkKnight

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I used this guide from GQ re jacket sleeve length -

Q: How should one determine the proper length of a suit sleeve? Every tailor tells me something different. When your arms are at your sides, should some of the shirtsleeve be exposed?

A: About a half inch of shirt cuff should show below your jacket cuff, just as a half inch of shirt collar should show above your jacket collar. Most men wear their jacket sleeves too long or their shirt sleeves too short, and probably because of these dubious tailors you mention, most men show way too much shirt collar in back. The jacket should be finished at the wristbone, and with the arm at rest, the shirtsleeve should extend one-half inch below (that's 12.7 millimeters, for engineers and scientists). A good tailor measures from your thumb tips, because everyone is asymmetrical, with one arm longer than the other.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads