• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Getting a Shave in NYC

coolpapa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Any advice or suggestions on getting a shave in NYC?

yayorc

Reaction score
Freemans on Rivington & Freeman's Alley or FSC Barber on Horatio St at 8th Avenue.

bullethead

Reaction score
you could also try Paul Mole on Lex and 70 something.

One thing to consider-no matter where you go it won't be a true barber shave. Due to health codes, they must use shavettes-disposable blades that fit into a straight razor looking razor.

also, they must apply the cream with their hand or a synthetic brush-not exactly luxurious.

In my opinion, it is a waste of 50 or so dollars.

fcuknu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Spiff on 46/lex is pretty good.

JoelF

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I go to this place, it's cheap and close to where I live. I usually go to the younger guy.

Roman's Barber Shop

Originally Posted by Yelp
these getting days getting a good haircut in midtown is much like getting good head anaywhere...you're always amazed and smiling at the end of it, while at a mirror!

this haircuttery ain't SUPERCUTS, but that's a good thing!

there are typically two barbers (one old and one young) on staff. both deliver solid cuts and are willing to hear your pedestrian request...like give me that "Brad Pitt do" which they will do...but you'll still look like a ugly mope just with Brad Pitt's coif.

anyway this isn't like some old school 50s barber shop with 80+ old men sitting around shiting the manure. it's a small shop with about 5 chairs for customers to sit on while waiting...there's a bevy of reading materials from the Post to Maxim to Playboy. the place is clean and well-maintained. it has a new feel to it.

they cut with clippers and scisssors. they will bust out the old-school razor and warm shaving cream if you ask for a real shave or just to touch up your neck and sideburns at the end of a cut. they can wash your hair for a wash-cut-and-blow if you so choose.

onlinematt

Reaction score
I just went to Barber's Blueprint today (at 181 Mulberry b/w Kenmare and Broome) for a haircut, but they also give you a neck shave with a 'straight' blade (as a previous poster said, they actually use a disposable blade that fits into a straight looking razor). So, I guess I can't vouch for a full shave, but if my neck is anything to go by, your face should be smooth as a baby's butt. Nice bunch of guys too - they said they've only been around about a year but my guy (George) has been cutting and giving shaves in Brooklyn for 20 years. I'll def be going back, partly because I'm all for their no-bullshit service. You're in and out in 20 mins and it's cheap as chips.

constantine.

Reaction score
Franks Chop Shop is an awesome barber shop and you can get an old school shave. Really good prices too.

Wine Guy

Reaction score
In Chelsea, Uriel's Shoe repair & Barber shop 249 W. 26th St. Uriel and his son Gabe are from Uzbekistan and are the epitome of old world, simple and unpretentious artisans. Gabe gave me a 20 minute straight blade/hot lather shave that was so close and smooth that I did not bother shaving the next day. And he charged only twelve bucks. Uriel apparently is a top cobbler and has many celebrities as clients...he also repairs mechanical watches.

For more on this gem, check out this vidblog:

dragon8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TheRookie
The Art of Shaving in Bloomingdales

Do they use a straight razor or a Gilette one?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics