• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Last Day to save 20% sitewide at Kirby Allison's annual Father's Day Sale! !

Kirby Allison is one of Styleforum's original success stories, beginning long ago with Kirby;s Hanger Project. Every year, Kirby holds a Father's Day Sale featuring some of the best accessories and shoe care products in the world. Take this opportunity to get something for your father, grandfather, or yourself, at a rare 20% discount (discount taken automatically at the checkout). See if you find that perfect hanger, shoe cream, or watch case here

Enjoy

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Getting a job at an upscale restaurant?

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
I've not been there. Do they work on what I call the Nautical system? You know, "I'm Dave, and I'll be your Captain tonight, organizing your service..."
No, the service is quite low key. People just show up and talk about what you're about to eat, and the sommeliers introduce the wines (albeit with very generous pours and re-fills). There isn't really any indication of a coordinating person, stuff just happens, which I like. The mark of good service is getting you everything you need with the fewest words, amount of time and fanfare as possible. Good waiters never interrupt a conversation and have a way of showing up and hanging around just long enough for you to notice them and stop talking so that they can give you your food. It's about an economy of movement and impeccable timing, which the Alinea waiters have in spades. Best service anywhere, in my option is at Louis in the Hotel Paris in Monaco. That is something to behold. There's nothing I hate more than some **** head making me stop dead in the middle of my sentence so he can ask me if everything is fine. I don't know why I have to pay upwards of $200 a meal not to get interrupted or feel smothered by service.

VKK3450

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you are looking for fun pass on the restaurant thing and get a gig in a bar.

Skip anything too busy and find a place with a young fun regular crowd. Maybe college kids or industry after hours (somewhere that local waiters come to after their shifts). An advantage of industry bars is that you get reciprocal hookups at the places your customers work in and industry people tip really freaking well so you make great cash for working in a casual bar.

K

wowowow

Reaction score
I cant beleive what I've just read.. Serving is one of the hardest jobs there is. Wtf does this person think shes entitled to??? Tons of money with no experience? Upscale restaraunts require a minimum of 2 plus years, great references and some even require college.. omg the entitlment and ignorance of this girl. Work your way up sweetheart... serving, even at casual higher end, requires more professionalism then most corporate professional jobs.

wowowow

Reaction score
One post talked about retail getting more respect than serving?? Haha yeah standing around all day blowing product up a few customers asses walking home with a little over minimum wage.. or work your ass off, while taking every ************* from a customer, while smiling and selling the menu while timing 6 tables perfectly.. and making way more then retail. Who has more respect?? Servers by far.

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Nice bump.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Staff online