• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Getting a cheap MTM suit done this week - SF DECIDES WHAT I GET

leeba

Reaction score
Hey guys -

pretty new to MC here. I'm getting a really cheap MTM suit done in Shanghai (still young/body changing, suit up 1-2x a year max). I'm only here for 11 days so I gotta get this done pretty fast.

All I really know right now is that I want it to be a dark navy (and that I will pair dark brown shoes with it - probably captoes w/ a medallion). If possible I'm going to try and get a white + light blue shirt made as well (for dirt cheap) and try and pick up a navy knit tie and white linen pocket square as well. Truly basic stuff. Oh - I have sloping traps and I feel that more unstructured shoulders would be better for me (not quite Neopolitan).

In terms of lapel size/width, buttoning stance, other details like ticket pockets, pockets in general, etc. I'm a little lost to be honest. I just want something business appropriate without looking strange at lets say...a social banquet (again..college lol). I'm not huge on rules but I know this is MC so things are a little different - I wouldn't mind one or two nice but subtle details that make the suit somewhat "fashion-y" since it's not going to last a long time anyways.

-Most of all I'd like the suit to be flattering in the masculine sense (V-shape) and fairly fitted (no, not quite like GQ haha).

I thought that this would be a fun idea for a thread - the idea is that I get input/pictures of stuff/examples from the community and show it to the MTM "tailor". Then, after the suit is done I document the fittings (probaby 2 at least) through pictures and hopefully end up with a decent-fitting suit as the end of it all (11 days!). If all else fails I'll probably just pick up a cheap suit from Uniqlo and possibly get it altered if I can find something that fits me in the shoulders, but let's be honest that's not quite as fun.

All suggestions welcome, just looking for advice
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

unbelragazzo

Jewfro
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
But cliffs notes: most standard configuration would be two flap hip pockets, notch lapel, double vents, lapel approx halfway to your shoulder, two buttons. Button stance hopefully you can play around with a bit at a fitting, and the right point will depend on the rise of your pants, the gorge height, and the length of the jacket. But you could try starting off with the buttoning point just above your belly button and start adjusting elements from there.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 98 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.1%

Staff online

Forum statistics