1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

George Cleverley Anthony Cleverley Models

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Maverick972, Oct 9, 2010.

1. Maverick972

Maverick972 Well-Known Member

De Rede in dark brown suede:
    http://www.leathersoulhawaii.com/201...-arrived-lsbh/

Churchill in black or burgundy:
    http://www.leathersoulhawaii.com/201...hurchill-shoe/

Do you like these in general? Which pair is better for a casual look? And by casual, I mean paired with cotton/wool pants or jeans. I suppose a Friday night or weekend outing. Can they be worn sock-less?

Lastly, are these worth $1600 and $1700, respectively? I know the answer will be subjective, but I like to hear the justification.

2. pebblegrain

pebblegrain Senior member

the first are better for casual.

are they worth $1700? if you can't afford them, don't bother

3. cdmoore1855

cdmoore1855 Senior member

the first are better for casual.

are they worth $1700? if you can't afford them, don't bother

They are just slightly sharper Edward Greens. EG make them

4. Maverick972

Yeah, I know. Why do they advertise the AC line as being made in their workroom in London? I think that's a little misleading, to put it nicely. Despite that, I do like the shoes.

5. Michael Ay329

Michael Ay329 Senior member

I care little as to where they are made...at the Cleverley workshop or the E.G. factory in Northampton.

With alleged high demand, perhaps they have transitioned some of their production to Edward Green.

I own a pair, so far, they are tied for being my best fitting shoe.

It is well made and rivals my EG and G&G as to quality of construction.

The Churchill is more of a business shoe...even if it is a lazyman design with faux lacing.

The slip on is by definition a casual shoe and the type of leather...reverse calf, is casual too.

Wearing shoes without socks will give you that circa 1985 Miami Vice/George Michael look.

Primarily due to price (not due to design or quality), I am currently unwilling to make a repeat order

6. LeatherSOUL

LeatherSOUL Senior member

Who keeps telling you guys ACs are made by EG? [​IMG]

7. Maverick972

I don't mind that they're made by EG. It just bothers me that they would tell you otherwise. I mean, would that really turn away customers? Like many have said here, the quality is there.

8. cdmoore1855

Who keeps telling you guys ACs are made by EG? [​IMG]

I have very reliable sources that tell me they are made by EG. Please don't be foolish enough to believe they are made 100% in house by Cleverley. They don't make their bespoke in house, so why the hell are their cheaper line of shoes going to be made in house.

When I was at their shop I asked George where they were made he only said in the UK. Enough Said

9. LeatherSOUL

LeatherSOUL Senior member

[​IMG] Seriously, who's telling you guys this?

10. Maverick972

[​IMG] Seriously, who's telling you guys this?
    Tom: Maybe when the AC line first started, they were made in the GC workroom. However, like Michael said, demand may have transitioned some of their production to EG. Here is my theory: For whatever reason, if buyers are put off by EG, then they have an alternative in the AC line. This benefits all parties (EG, GC, and buyers). I have never met Hilary Freeman, so she may be an adoring angel for all I know, but it makes sense that she denies it. Or, perhaps, at the time, that really was the case. For George Glasgow and GC, they are able to attract more customers. For buyers, it's another option to look at when spending over $1K on shoes. Bold theory for a newbie, I know; that's just what I think. Feel free to disagree! Again, I like the AC line. As mentioned, it doesn't matter where they're made.

11. cdmoore1855

I also think the AC shoes are good, but lets not advertise false information. The Glasgows like to spruce things up too much.

12. Maverick972

I also think the AC shoes are good, but lets not advertise false information. The Glasgows like to spruce things up too much.
    +1

13. Ich_Dien

Ich_Dien Senior member

The construction is entirely different to any EG I've ever handled, so odd for you to be so confident.

14. cdmoore1855

The construction is entirely different to any EG I've ever handled, so odd for you to be so confident.

reliable sources

15. Harrydog

Harrydog Senior member

reliable sources

I have been told that Cleverley's RTW line is made by C & J, with Cleverley people stopping by regularly to check on production quality.

I don't know if this applies to the Anthony Cleverley line, but that is the impression I got.

And as for the price...they are about the price of Lobb Prestige and are a limited edition (100 pairs made).

16. Leather man

Leather man Senior member

Tom:

Maybe when the AC line first started, they were made in the GC workroom. However, like Michael said, demand may have transitioned some of their production to EG.

Here is my theory: For whatever reason, if buyers are put off by EG, then they have an alternative in the AC line. This benefits all parties (EG, GC, and buyers). I have never met Hilary Freeman, so she may be an adoring angel for all I know, but it makes sense that she denies it. Or, perhaps, at the time, that really was the case. For George Glasgow and GC, they are able to attract more customers. For buyers, it's another option to look at when spending over $1K on shoes. Bold theory for a newbie, I know; that's just what I think. Feel free to disagree!

Again, I like the AC line. As mentioned, it doesn't matter where they're made.

But none of that says you "know" for a fact that GCs AC line is made by EG. I think it doesn't help anyone when these rumours are spread without more evidence than this.

It is certainly true and in fact blindlingly obvious when one sees the GC RTW range that they are rebadged Crockett and Jones - perhaps upspec'd for GC, I wouldn't know.

17. Michael Ay329

But none of that says you "know" for a fact that GCs AC line is made by EG. I think it doesn't help anyone when these rumours are spread without more evidence than this.
    My sources examined my A.C. shoes personally, and confirmed, after looking at the shoe, and speaking with folks in the Northampton area who work at E.G., that they are made by E.G. There is no need to reveal the sources as perhaps these folks still look to Cleverlely for exchanges in information or leather. I do not spread rumors, but for now, have opted to not spend the extra $ on a gorgeous Cleverley designed and constructed shoe....perhaps made by Cleverley in London, or under private label by E.G. If some folks do not like Cleverley making his shoes at E.G., but claiming their are made in their shop, then they can decide if they will take their business elsewhere. I got a great shoe out of it and but for the price, would continue to buy more of them. I just wish they were priced similar to what EG or G&G charge for their MTO shoes...as I feel it is a comparable product. Perhaps Tom or someone else can ask George Glasgow if the last shapes used on the A.C. line were based on lasts originally made by Anthony Cleverley or where they by George Cleverley (or George Glasgow/John Carnera)???

18. Maverick972

It is well made and rivals my EG and G&G as to quality of construction.

Michael:

Which pair do you have?

19. Michael Ay329

Michael: Which pair do you have?
    Mr. Glasgow added a brogueing along the throat & imitation lacing...which made me want to order it [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 15, 2011
  20. Maverick972

Mr. Glasgow added a brogueing along the topline and imitation lacing...which made me want to order it

[​IMG] ! Absolutely beautiful! How long was the wait?