• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

FW13 WANT Les Essentiels de la vie

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
WANT Les Essentiels de la vie: FW13
Leather bags and accessories

Classic styles, excellent quality, fair pricing, pleasing (yet functional) aesthetic, and a hint of seasonal color make FW13 definitely worth a look. I had a chance to discuss the collection with WANT designers Byron and Dexter Peart at Pitti.

What I like: I liked what I saw both physically and conceptually. Physically, the bags were very well made and aesthetically pleasing. Quality of the leather and hardware were good, size and layout were well planned and functional, and the range of styles in the collection ensured one could get bags for business, travel, or casual use with a similar DNA.

Conceptually, I liked that Byron and Dexter had put a lot of thought into, literally, EVERY stitch and pocket of the bag. They didn't simply make a bag they thought would be popular; instead, they tried to make a great bag... period. There is a reason for, and they can explain, everything about it: why this pocket had to be put here, why this handle is this length and rolled instead of flat, why this lining is this fabric as opposed to that one. As a bag connoisseur myself, I enjoyed that intensity of vision and commitment to one's work. Having talked to many bagmakers at Pitti and elsewhere, this intensity and knowledge are rare.

What's new for FW13: Great hints of seasonal color ranging from a deep plum to green to some silkscreen nylons added some flare to the standard collection. The plum is especially interesting and should be seen in person; it's less "purple" than you might expect and more functional than you might imagine. Likewise, the silkscreen prints on the nylon give a refreshing and playful feel when used on classic bags otherwise available in standard cotton or leather.

Overall: In a supersaturated market like leather goods, WANT has managed to make a niche for itself in a short time for good reason: the designers are smart and know what they want, and want to give that to customers. Customers know what is a good value and worth the price, and what is just a brand name. Given that WANT provides good bags at a reasonable price with high quality and nice details, I can't wait to see as the collections continue to grow.

http://www.wantessentiels.com/

Last edited:

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for that, Rach - very interesting. Their products look nice and well-made.

Spencer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm a huge fan of WANT Les Essentiels. Own the Hartsfield and Deurne 48 hour bag. Great quality, craftsmanship, and detail.

Selvedged

Reaction score
Hot Damn.

I'll take one of everything sans the tote in the last picture.
Some very nice offerings this year.

Spencer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Branding? What bothers you?

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Branding? What bothers you?

+1. I'm usually a fan of no logos whatsoever, but I don't find the WANT branding egregious. In fact, in some cases, I like the contrasting or hint of color it adds to the front of an otherwise minimal bag. And, unlike LV or Prada, it's not a brand enough people know that the branding becomes obvious or annoying.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads