• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants are now live. These cargos are based off vintage US Army BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) cargos. They're made of a premium 13.5-ounce Japanese twill that has been sulfur dyed for a vintage look. Every detail has been carried over from the inspiration and elevated. Available in two colorways, tundra and woodland. Please find them here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fused suits and Bubbling

airportlobby

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's telling how few (obviously well worn and fused) suits in a thrift store have bubbling. I wonder if the determinative factor is with the dry cleaner rather than the garment?

Ricardo Malocchio

Reaction score
I should add that I've had that suit drycleaned at least twice without issue. It was the rain, my brothers, the rain.

*(And not very much rain at that!)

cvac

Reaction score
I'd wager that drycleaning and pressing that suit probably loosened up the fusing somewhat before the rain got to it.

luftvier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I didn't believe in the spectre of bubbling until it happened to my navy interview suit from BOSS, really obviously, right on the left breast.

The sales reps gave it to their tailor in NYC, who I guessed either stiched or pressed it back into shape. They said they'd replace it if it happened again.

So, plus one to the BOSS sales men for helping me out. That said, I would never buy BOSS again.

jhao

Reaction score
I'm suffering from bubbling in a zara suit, but I used it on a regual basis during like 3 years, for what I paid for it is a good lifetime.

mr. man

Reaction score
Well I have a bubbling suit, wore it for a month no rain never got wet or damp, just thought I´ll have it cleaned with the rest of my stuff at dry cleaners and the bastards screwed it up.This was last week.

Was hopeful till I found this site saying theres no turning back.

The suit was probably crap too - never heard of the manufacturer "Stones",but at the time I was thinking that the highest price might compensate for my inexperience at choosing a proper suit.

By the way I´m new to this site and I must say - quite a nice place you got here.
smile.gif

calafro

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Toorman
Can a fused suit bubble? Sure, it can happen. But, if it were a matter of routine, would the many brands that sell fused suits be able to stay in business? Would reputable department stores like Macy's, Nordstrom's, Bloomingdale's, Saks and Barney's sell fused suits knowing they would have to refund customers' money if their new suit were hit by a dollop of water or sent in for a dry cleaning and ruined? If they were that delicate they would need to attach a warning label saying they weren't responsible for damage do to dry cleaning or acts of God. Do I prefer canvassed suits - yes. Have I purchased half canvassed suits because I love the particular fit and fabric - without hesitation and I save money in the process. A good suit wardrobe has room for both.

I had a BB suit bubble a couple of years ago after about 6 months of use. The store took is back and refunded my money without issue citing a manufacturing problem with a particular run of suits.

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
This thread is not only useless, but annoying, without pictures.

PeterN

Reaction score
Hi. I have worked in the dry cleaning business for over 30 years and hope I can clarify.
The 'bubbling' or 'stringy' effect is seen every now and then on all sorts of jackets and across the price ranges. The bubbling is caused by a breakdown of the bonding/interlining used in manufacture.

In 99% of cases the bubbling will occur even if the garment is dry cleaned correctly as a result of the normal ageing/wear cycle of the garment. Occasionally this is seen with a relatively new garment which then points to a problem with the manufacturers batch or choice of adhesive used.

The problem is not caused by dry cleaning but poor bonding will deteriorate in any cleaning process and is therefore more apparent afterwards.

A clever presser can restore the garment to a large degree however the effect will then recur when next cleaned.
bigstar[1].gif

bbhewee

Reaction score
Originally Posted by luftvier
I didn't believe in the spectre of bubbling until it happened to my navy interview suit from BOSS, really obviously, right on the left breast.

The sales reps gave it to their tailor in NYC, who I guessed either stiched or pressed it back into shape. They said they'd replace it if it happened again.

So, plus one to the BOSS sales men for helping me out. That said, I would never buy BOSS again.

Had a similar problem with my first navy blazer from BOSS. Bubbling occurred around the pockets for me. It's sat in a closet now.

butkusrules

Reaction score
I wear suits so often, that I burn through them before I have to worry about fusing becoming undone. My only concern would be if you live in a really wet climate and find yourself caught in the rain. Ive seen fused suits disintegrate before my eyes.

lovelux2010

Reaction score
personally..
the fused versus fully canvassed is a matter of spend. if i am spending up to £700 on a suit, i am not too worried if it is fully canvassed or half canvassed or fused.

however, if i am spending £1000k+..
i want to choose a classic cut, take care of the suit, and have an opportunity to make the suit last for 5 years +..
from reading forum posts, i've concluded a fully canvassed suit has a better chance to last "longer" term than a fused product.

just my opinion.

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
'Bubbling' is the product of older specifications and cheaper garments I suspect. However even the so-called expensive brands are not always above cheap production methods - it is the label you pay for not the quality necessarily. Some seem to survive, others don't. Either way is is best avoided by sticking to canvassed construction.

The Louche

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Get Smart
My first suit i bought was from Tokyo back in 94, it's a fused fashion suit, it's been worn a lot and cleaned more times than should been....no dreaded bubbling

I think the evils of fusing get blown out of proportion around here

I bet its shiny as hell, though...

Claghorn

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
This thread is not only useless, but annoying, without pictures.

le necro bump

Can someone post pictures of bubbling? I have no idea what it looks like...and given that 2/3 of the jackets I own are fused (BR and HB), I'd feel more comfortable knowing what to be on the lookout for.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 105 36.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 106 36.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 37 12.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 47 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 42 14.6%

Forum statistics

Threads