• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fused suits and Bubbling

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Get Smart
My first suit i bought was from Tokyo back in 94, it's a fused fashion suit, it's been worn a lot and cleaned more times than should been....no dreaded bubbling

I think the evils of fusing get blown out of proportion around here

On this site???

Not possible.

FashionMiami

Reaction score
I dont know cause I will not wear a fused suit. I believe that all clothing especially suits which as we all know cost alot of money should be sewn together not glued. The rest of our clothing is sewn together (sweaters, pants, boxers) so why should we be so cheap and buy a glued suit.

CharlestonBows

Reaction score
Is the problem over-exaggerated? Maybe.

When it comes to fusing, you have to consider the way the garment will wear. A fused garment simply will not wear as well over time, or look as good on you, as a well made canvassed one. Canvas feels better because it moves with you. Fused garments are like donning a suit of armor - it's stiff, and it's a single, hard piece.

That said, there are serious differences in fusing techniques. Better makers use better methods (as was said earlier, I think), and the raw components of the garment (i.e. fabric) are of a better quality to begin with.

So sure, you can get a fused suit, and it can serve you very well, especially if cared for properly. But it's still a glued together garment.

EL72

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Quirk
Is there any recourse for this? If you take it to a good tailor, can it be re-fused?

Garbage or Goodwill.

Drinkwaters

OG
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Fusing did have its issues in its advent but today it is hard to tell if it is fused unless you try to separate the canvas from the shell. I experienced many times in the past the puckering and bubbling mentioned but have not seen that in years.
Fusing does not create a Armour like feel. Quite the contrary. The softness of todays canvasing and fusing make for a very soft coat.

Gary

CharlestonBows

Reaction score
Originally Posted by drink8648
Fusing did have its issues in its advent but today it is hard to tell if it is fused unless you try to separate the canvas from the shell. I experienced many times in the past the puckering and bubbling mentioned but have not seen that in years.
Fusing does not create a Armour like feel. Quite the contrary. The softness of todays canvasing and fusing make for a very soft coat.

Gary

See -

Originally Posted by CharlestonBows
That said, there are serious differences in fusing techniques.

And thus, with fused garments, what you put on at S&K feels like armor. What you put on at Bergdorf may not.

FidelCashflow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by FashionMiami
I dont know cause I will not wear a fused suit. I believe that all clothing especially suits which as we all know cost alot of money should be sewn together not glued. The rest of our clothing is sewn together (sweaters, pants, boxers) so why should we be so cheap and buy a glued suit.

Shirt collars and cuffs are almost always fused.

englanderjk

Reaction score
Originally Posted by FidelCashflow
I hear people talk about bubbling all the time (only on these forums.) Some people make it sound like an inevitable consequence of owning a fused suit, and it seems to be the number one reason to shell out more money for a canvassed suit. I've owned plenty of fused suits (mostly Valentino and Boss), and have never experienced or witnessed this phenomenon, but I try to take care of my suits and don't put them into heavy rotation because I don't wear suits that often. Is this problem primarily confined to outdated fusing methods? Is it more common in bargain basement suits that use cheaper fusing methods? Is it primarily due to dry cleaning at excessive heat or some kind of improper care? To me it's like spontaneous combustion, I've heard stories, but have never witnessed it first hand.
Informative thread FC,...thanks.

Ricardo Malocchio

Reaction score
Victim of bubbling here.

There was the chance of showers in Boston yesterday, so I dug out one of my bad-weather suits, a 2-year old, rarely worn Joe Abboud "Signature Profile" super-120s. That chance of showers turned into a series of drenching squalls, but I managed to make it around with only the bottom of my pants legs wet and only a bit more moisture than I'd like getting past my umbrella and onto the front skirt part of the jacket. Those parts of the jacket were not soaked, or even noticeably damp. I hung it and left it out of the closet to dry.

This morning... bubbling on the jacket skirt! Slight and only on certain scattered areas, but easily noticeable. I guess there's nothing to be done, and I don't even know if Goodwill would want it.

cvac

Reaction score
If it's going to rain, how about wearing a raincoat?

I know it's been said many said many times, but if you have a fused suit, avoid drycleaning unless the suit is soiled. If you steam and/or press your suits at home, do not steam or press the front of the jacket. Only do the sleeves and back.

No personal experience, but I've also heard that hot, humid climates can be hard on fused suits.

Re: the look of fused suits: the very cheaply made fused suits will be fused 100% from top to bottom. Slightly better fused suits will have a fabric/canvas chest piece that will make them look better. This isn't the same thing as "half-canvassed". Half canvassed will have canvas in the lapels, whereas "fused with a chest piece" will not.

porcelain monkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by FidelCashflow
I hear people talk about bubbling all the time (only on these forums.) Some people make it sound like an inevitable consequence of owning a fused suit, and it seems to be the number one reason to shell out more money for a canvassed suit. I've owned plenty of fused suits (mostly Valentino and Boss), and have never experienced or witnessed this phenomenon, but I try to take care of my suits and don't put them into heavy rotation because I don't wear suits that often.

Is this problem primarily confined to outdated fusing methods? Is it more common in bargain basement suits that use cheaper fusing methods? Is it primarily due to dry cleaning at excessive heat or some kind of improper care?

To me it's like spontaneous combustion, I've heard stories, but have never witnessed it first hand.

Dozens of people spontaneously combust each year. It's just not widely reported. Just ask Peter James Bond or Mick Shrimpton.

Ricardo Malocchio

Reaction score
Originally Posted by cvac
If it's going to rain, how about wearing a raincoat?
Had the weather report been more accurate, I certainly would have!

What surprised me was how little moisture caused this. Like I said, to to describe the jacket skirt as "damp" overstates it.

I just wanted to post my experience to disabuse anyone of the notion that "modern" fused suits somehow aren't susceptible to bubbling.

Toorman

Reaction score
Can a fused suit bubble? Sure, it can happen. But, if it were a matter of routine, would the many brands that sell fused suits be able to stay in business? Would reputable department stores like Macy's, Nordstrom's, Bloomingdale's, Saks and Barney's sell fused suits knowing they would have to refund customers' money if their new suit were hit by a dollop of water or sent in for a dry cleaning and ruined? If they were that delicate they would need to attach a warning label saying they weren't responsible for damage do to dry cleaning or acts of God. Do I prefer canvassed suits - yes. Have I purchased half canvassed suits because I love the particular fit and fabric - without hesitation and I save money in the process. A good suit wardrobe has room for both.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads